PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing next setup

Tuff guy
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
I am a novice without a huge budget. I have a ugly stick tiger 6'6 rod, 15-30lbs, along with a pflueger g30 reel with 30lb line that I have used on my kayak. I have caught a few rockfish with it and it has worked well. I fish a tandem kayak and this is my only rod/reel I have that I can use in la jolla, where I mainly fish, and plan on continuing to fish. Since I'm in a tandem, I always ask friends to come, and most don't have any ocean fishing gear because they usually rent and do 1/2 day boats.

I would like to get another setup that I can use for rockfish/lings, but is more geared towards yellowtail and larger fish. This way I can also loan it out to those friends who have nada. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for? I don't have a bait tank (yet) so, when looking for bigger species I will be using lures. I'd like to avoid getting something similar to what I already have, maybe a spinning reel? I will probably be shopping at big 5 or looking used as I am on a tight budget. Thanks in advance!

alanw
11-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Maybe you can try the fishing swap meet for a good deal

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19948

Tuff guy
11-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks, just ended up going to big 5 for an Abu Garcia spinning reel 5.2:1 and matching rod, gonna line it with 25lb mono and try it out