PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question?

Baggard
09-27-2005, 05:57 AM
I am setting up a Bait tank and I have a 2 amp charger. and I bought a pump from Wall Mart about Elevin bucks. What Battery should I buy? and where and how much should it cost?

Lit-up1
09-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Batteries plus at Rosecrans and Sports Arena Blvd. has 12V that will do the job. Next door to Chipotle.

Dave

Jimm H
09-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Obviously, you are going to buy a 12V battery, as that is what the pump runs on. The real question is what capacity in AMPS or Amp-Hours.

If your pump consumes 1 amp, then a 7 amp battery (such as the sealed lead-acid types used for home.businesss alarm systems) will ideally yield 7 hours of operation. In reality, that batttery will probably only provide enough for 5-6 hours. But, if you switch your tank off periodically, or use a pwm controller* to limit current draw and water flow, you battery will last a lot longer.

Used Sealed Lead Acids can be acquired in San Diego for about $10 from INDUSTRIAL LIQUIDATORS on Convoy Street (across form the Dixieline). Typically, used SLA batteries are good quality because state law requires the batteries on fire alarm systems be changed every 6 months.

New batteries are 3 times as much at Batteries Plus, but you may desire new.

Walmart sells small 12V batteries for ride-on lawnmowers, motorcycles, etc for $20. They are traditional automotive-style wet cells that you fill with acid when you first open them (battery acid included).

For a charger, get one with an automatic charge circuit that detects when the battery is fully charged. Otherwise, you will eventually overcharge your battery and ruin it. (been there-done that).

*PWM- Pulse Width Modulation.... a circuit that limits current use in a DC circuit by providing a variably-controlled dc pulse output to power the dc device. The output is still the required 12V, but is current-limited to save energy. Kits are about $25 at Gateway Electronics (Chesapeake Dr. in Kearny Mesa). They are manufactured by Velleman.

Personally, I would minimize the electronics on the kayak and just use a manual switch to control running the pump. Just more to fail.

Hope that helps

Kevin
09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
*PWM- Pulse Width Modulation.... a circuit that limits current use in a DC circuit by providing a variably-controlled dc pulse output to power the dc device. The output is still the required 12V, but is current-limited to save energy. Kits are about $25 at Gateway Electronics (Chesapeake Dr. in Kearny Mesa). They are manufactured by Velleman.

Personally, I would minimize the electronics on the kayak and just use a manual switch to control running the pump. Just more to fail.

A better way to go is to use a 6V sealed lead acid battery(10 or 12 AH). Using this with a 350 or even 500 gph submersible bildge pump will get you a full day with out having to use a PWM or a manually limiting the flow. I've been using a 10 AH 6V battery for a few years now and I have no complaints.

Please note that the 6V solution doesn't work as well with the aerator style pumps. The flow is considerable less in those applications.

Kevin

Razorback
09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=265092

Great charger / conditioner. I have around 8 batteries to constantly recharge and this unit is fool proof.

Holy Mackerel
09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't forget Hook 1, good prices, and they send this stuff out QUICK!!! I prefer the 6v battery for my atwood pump, not as heavy to lug around, slower flow. I bought their Battery charger for $22 works good on both 6v bait tank, and 12v Fish finder batteries. It is also a floating charger, so it won't over charge, and blow up your battery. I sound like a commercial... :lol:

Hook 1 Battery & Charger (http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/catalog/bait_tank_components__batteries_and_more_375374_pr oducts.htm)

Chris 8)

Razorback
09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Good Link Holy Mack....

I will use Hook1 for sure - rather give the biz to a fellow yakker. Esp. one who sponsors our local charity tourneys.

Thanks

norrinradd12
09-27-2005, 01:54 PM
radio shack has 12v 7amp batteries on sale for $15.00

Baggard
09-28-2005, 01:25 AM
thanks every one. Ill be on the water without the yellow bucket soon. thanks again for all the good advice.