PDA

View Full Version : BAJA OR BUST 2014 Updated

makobob
11-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Next trip will be Las Encantadas, 10 miles north of Gonzaga, 20-24 March. Should be a fun trip, everyone is welcome to join us! We will have the use of our next door neighbors bathroom, shower and other ammenities for this trip.

This is for you who wish to meet new fishing partners, make friends and FISH BAJA! You may travel with us or by yourself, you can come earlier or stay later than us. Eat alone of as part of the group. Join camp fire or not, fish around us or off by yourself or friends. EVERY detail is up to YOU!

SCHEDULE 2014

CONFIRMED Dec 26-Jan 5+, Asuncion YT, CALICOS, HALIBUT
Anglers WERE: Adam, Sven, Ross, Jeff, Bob
Feb, CLOSED, NOT ENOUGH TIME TO PLAN A TRIP.
CONFIRMED March 20-24
Anglers are: Makobob, Svendawg, Battleborn, Chuck D, Eod, ???Bigbarrels???
CONFIRMED April 10-20, Gonzaga Bay
Anglers are: Makobob, Walrus, John, Svendawg, Buddha, Defjack, Johnny5, Lives4thrills,
May,
CONFIRMED June 1-30, San Quintin HALIBUT with possible mothership to Isla San Martin
Anglers are: Jorluivil, Makobob, Dbrogdon5, Baja_Traveler, Deamon, Jruiz, Rossman, TheBentRod, Easyday, Chuck D, Wade, Yakfisher, Drake, Romspacenut, Svendawg, Joctane, Robmoney
July,
CONFIRMED Aug, San Quintin WSB with POSSIBLE mothership to Isla San Martin
Anglers are: Makobob, Buddha, Wade, Yakfisher, Rhyak, Deamon, Danjor, Romspacenut,
Sept,
Oct,
Nov, Asunsion YT ???
Dec, Merry Christmas

Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

chxh8me
11-15-2013, 11:32 AM
sounds amazing. I will do everything in my power to make the november trip next year.

yakfisher
11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Nice. Put me in for both San Quintin trips and I'll try to make the April 14-20, Gonzaga trip. May end up heading down late on the 17th and returning late on the 20th, not sure yet.

Ggiannig89
11-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe a dumb question but where is Asuncion and how long does it take to get there from SD?

yakfisher
11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Maybe a dumb question but where is Asuncion and how long does it take to get there from SD?

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bah%C3%ADa+Asunci%C3%B3n,+Mexico&aq=0&oq=bahia+as&sll=27.147603,-114.290686&sspn=0.04888,0.061283&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bah%C3%ADa+Asunci%C3%B3n,+Baja+California+Su r,+Mexico&ll=27.147603,-114.290686&spn=0.048882,0.061283&z=14&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map (https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bah%C3%ADa+Asunci%C3%B3n,+Mexico&aq=0&oq=bahia+as&sll=27.147603,-114.290686&sspn=0.04888,0.061283&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bah%C3%ADa+Asunci%C3%B3n,+Baja+California+Su r,+Mexico&ll=27.147603,-114.290686&spn=0.048882,0.061283&z=14)</small>

makobob
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Asuncion is 550 miles south of San Diego. 12-13 hours drive, it is on the Pacific side of Baja. Fantastic calico and YT fishing.

jorluivil
11-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

This is for you who wish to meet new fishing partners, make friends and FISH BAJA! You may travel with us or by yourself, you can come earlier or stay later than us. Eat alone of as part of the group. Join camp fire or not, fish around us or off by yourself or friends. EVERY detail is up to YOU!

What you mention here is what drives me to kayak fish beyond the local area, I'm confident that this is also what drives the rest of the guys that I fish with. we fish together, we travel together, we camp together but I don't need to tell you that, you've seen our reports.

Searching for and catching that fish won't happen if you sit around with a Redbull in one hand and the computer mouse in the other scrolling through the Fishing Reports, you MUST go out and find them.

Drake
11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Can you confirm the June date? June 1-30?

makobob
11-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Can you confirm the June date? June 1-30?

I will arrive in San Quintin on the afternoon of June 1st. I will not leave until the morning of 30 June. Tournament will start on the 2nd of June and end on the evening of 29 June. You may fish any of these days. I hope to have all tournament information available soon.

Drake
11-15-2013, 05:09 PM
I will arrive in San Quintin on the afternoon of June 1st. I will not leave until the morning of 30 June. Tournament will start on the 2nd of June and end on the evening of 29 June. You may fish any of these days. I hope to have all tournament information available soon.

I should be able to come hang for a few days

makobob
11-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Welcome aboard, Romspacenut and Drake! Total for June now stands at 14 and growing. Still 6 1/2 months for the rest of BWE to get involved!
Romspacenut wants a mothership trip, any one else?

Makobob

Joctane
11-21-2013, 01:28 PM
I may join you for a few days Neil. Maybe a long weekend? See if Rob wants to go?

makobob
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
ISLANDER just announced their trip schedule for 2014.
First trip is 23-25 MAY. It is a Day and a Half, to SBI, I am going as it is the only one that does not fall in June. Two and a half to SBI and a FIVE day trip to CEDROS, which should be the trip of a lifetime forsome of us. I cannot be on those because..................... Oh yea, now I remember. Baja or BUST will be in San Quintin for All of June. So you can fish BOTH!!!!!!!!!.....???????? Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

2014 is gonna be a great year for BWE. For all you GUESTS on this community site, NOW would be a great time to register and join our community, 2014 is going to be a fantastic year for BWE. Register to meet, and make new friends and fishing partners, join our activities, go on our trips. Be a part of our community.

Makobob

svendawg
12-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Romspacenut and Drake! Total for June now stands at 14 and growing. Still 6 1/2 months for the rest of BWE to get involved!
Romspacenut wants a mothership trip, any one else?

Makobob

I will also be making this trip sometime during June. Date to be determined

buddha
12-05-2013, 07:05 PM
So there is a mothership for the August trip to San Martin or are there going to be two mother ships?

makobob
12-05-2013, 10:53 PM
To do a mothership trip takes 3-4 anglers to be there on the same day. So I do not see why we cannot do one or two or more. It is just logistics and like minded people.

makobob
12-19-2013, 07:32 PM
A week from this time tomorrow afternoon, Rossman, Svendawg, Buddha, and Makobob will be taking in a Baja Sunset. We will be watching the sun setting on Isla San Roque, just north of Bahia Asuncion. We will toast you fisherman who could not make this trip. Hoping that some of you can and will join us for a similar future Baja or Bust trip. Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Baja or Bust 2014 has started. Do not think about it, Dream about it, and do it! Any and EVERYONE is welcome to join us, or start your own trip. Just do it.

makobob
12-21-2013, 03:03 PM
The April trip to Gonzaga is filling FAST, had 5 inquires today and of those Svendawg and Buddha were added to our crew. Great time of the year for Gonzaga. Join us! Thursday Asuncion here we come. Happy Holidays to all.

SDROB
12-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Alright so Ive been getting real excited about Baja or Bust and had some free time on my computer last night!!!:D
So here's a free bump!

makobob
12-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Alright so Ive been getting real excited about Baja or Bust and had some free time on my computer last night!!!:D
So here's a free bump!

Rob, that is nice, I will use it if someone can tell me STEP BY STEP how to load it to the user group as the logo. Or if someone can do it for me. Thank you and Merry Christmas to ALL.

Makobob

Siebler
12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I did it for you Bob

svendawg
12-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Beautiful job on the graphics, that would look awesome on a long sleeve t-shirt

makobob
12-24-2013, 01:20 PM
I did it for you Bob

Thank you CJ, it is appreciated.

Svegdawg, that too will probabally happen, just not in time for our trip to Asuncion leaving in TWO days.

Happy Holidays to All of BWE. May 2014 be our finest year yet.:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1::cheers1:

Makobob

buddha
12-24-2013, 02:34 PM
On the Gonzaga Bay trip will be getting back to SD on the 20th?

I would be amenable to leave a few days earlier if that works?

How long a drive is it?

kelpbass91
12-25-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll make a suggestion for a future destination; Bahia Tortuga, just north of Bahia Ascuncion.

buddha
12-25-2013, 04:33 PM
I'll make a suggestion for a future destination; Bahia Tortuga, just north of Bahia Ascuncion.

What time of year is the best and what are the accommodations?

ful-rac
12-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Good luck out there guys be safe!

Hopefully you guys can keep us updated on the fishing while you are down there.

40# yellowtail????? 10# calico bass????:cheers1:

makobob
01-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Trip to Asuncion was Awesome, great time was had by all. Top fisherman was Ross with PB X2 YT at 37#, and 43#. Lot's of tails, calicos, barracuda, sandies, and bonito. Great meals by Jeff.
NEXT Baja or Bust trip is to Ganzaga in April, feel free to join us. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

kelpbass91
01-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Turtle Bay is protected so the weather would be even better, it is just as popular destination as Ascuncion, so there are plenty of accomdations and there is some epic halibut, yt, wsb and calico fishing. The SD long range boats fish it alot

Tin Slayer 28
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Glad you had a great trip Bob. How did those gaffs and rod work out?

makobob
01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Turtle Bay is protected so the weather would be even better, it is just as popular destination as Ascuncion, so there are plenty of accomdations and there is some epic halibut, yt, wsb and calico fishing. The SD long range boats fish it alot

The long range boats fish, Cedros, outside Turtle Bay, Asuncion, and Abreojos to fill their limits. It is all great fishing. What time of the year would you want to fish there? It is a long one day drive, 14 hours, so you really need to plan a longer trip. The roads were paved to Asuncion and Turtle bay is only 40 miles from the turnoff to Asuncion. Two days each way means 4 days travel time so to fish 7-10 days plan on a two week trip. 40 lb YT in a kayak, anyone???????? Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

Baja_Traveler
01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Well, this is killing me - I just got the opportunity to go for a week to a high end timeshare free of charge down in Cancun. Of course the wife demanded we go, so it's booked. I was really hoping to go on the Gonzaga trip in April, but this trip overlaps it.
Whats worse is I've been sitting here at work looking at the calendar and adding up my accumulated vacation hours, and between Skiing in February, Cancun in April and Pronghorn Hunting in September I'll have a grand total of 12 hours left at the end of the year. Guess there is no time for Baja left in the vacation budget... :(

makobob
01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Well, this is killing me - I just got the opportunity to go for a week to a high end timeshare free of charge down in Cancun. Of course the wife demanded we go, so it's booked. I was really hoping to go on the Gonzaga trip in April, but this trip overlaps it.
Whats worse is I've been sitting here at work looking at the calendar and adding up my accumulated vacation hours, and between Skiing in February, Cancun in April and Pronghorn Hunting in September I'll have a grand total of 12 hours left at the end of the year. Guess there is no time for Baja left in the vacation budget... :(

YOU can always give me the dates for the FIRST trip for 2015. Then it is on the schedule for ALL of us.

Gonzaga Trip ADDED for 2014!
March 20-24th, this is the second BIRTHDAY TRIP. Janine, fishtales, aka halibut hunter, will be celibrating her birthday in Gonzaga. Leaving morning of 20 March, should be another great trip, all are welcome to join us for this trip.
Tight lines and bloody gaffs. Happy Birthday Janine.

Johnny5
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi all, I'm new but after hearing about Bahia Asuncion trip from Buddha
(a.k.a Jeff the chef).. I'm definitely in! Also, my hunting pal got wind
of this by me -I diverted him from an Arizona fishing trip; it wasn't hard!-and will also join us! Count me in please.
cheers! Look forward to meeting you all.
johhny5 out

makobob
01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi all, I'm new but after hearing about Bahia Asuncion trip from Buddha
(a.k.a Jeff the chef).. I'm definitely in! Also, my hunting pal got wind
of this by me -I diverted him from an Arizona fishing trip; it wasn't hard!-and will also join us! Count me in please.
cheers! Look forward to meeting you all.
johhny5 out

Welcome aboard Johnny5, this is going to be another good trip. I am sure that Jeff will keep you informed as to what is going on with this trip. Any questions just pm or ask on this thread. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

makobob
02-05-2014, 07:34 AM
This weekend, Feb 8-9th ROBMONEY and myself will be going to Las Encantadas, 10 miles north of Gonzaga to try and lease a property. The plan is to get a piece of paradise for all of us. It should make a good base camp for those on this forum who choose to camp and fish Baja. There is a covered pad and outhouse now and Rob and I figure by summer we can have a liveable interior completed. For now it would be just beach camping and a place to get out of the sun.

To be able to use this place you will need to be an active member of BWE, so sign up and join our community. Be active and enjoy what BWE has to offer. ton's of information, many knowledgable minds to pick, new friends and fishing partners to make, and a couple or three neighbor hood kayak stores to shop at, just bring your sense of humor!!!

Report and pictures early next week.

Makobob

ful-rac
02-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Wow! Thanks Bob! You do too much!:luxhello:

svendawg
02-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Bob

If possible get the GPS numbers of the site. It would be fun to check out the site and area on Google Earth. It will also be good for the future when members are going down there to fish.

Have a safe trip

walrus
02-05-2014, 08:51 AM
On the bottom of the lease there should be a red disclaimer "heavy tackle location". Lots of rocks, strong fish, and unbelievable fun in a kayak.

Close to Gonzaga Bay, and Punta Final, you can't go wrong getting in that area as a vacation retreat. I hope this works out for you.

janines.fishtales@cox.net
02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Bob and Robmoney

Have fun this weekend and be safe. Thank you both for your efforts down there and good luck. I am so looking forward to the March trip, but I have a feeling I will be in on others soon!

Janine:cheers1:

makobob
02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Bob

If possible get the GPS numbers of the site. It would be fun to check out the site and area on Google Earth. It will also be good for the future when members are going down there to fish.

Have a safe trip

Sven, on Google earth I get the group of houses at

29*54'32.3"N
114*27'43.2"W

In less then a week this should be the NEW HOME of Fresh2Death and Baja or Bust.

Makobob

SDROB
02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Bob and Robmoney

Have fun this weekend and be safe. Thank you both for your efforts down there and good luck. I am so looking forward to the March trip, but I have a feeling I will be in on others soon!

Janine:cheers1:

Thanks I haven't been able to sleep for weeks! It's definitely a great place to celebrate your B-Day. This weekend can't come soon enough:D

Also thanks for putting up those #s Bob!

SDROB
02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Sven, on Google earth I get the group of houses at

29*54'32.3"N
114*27'43.2"W

In less then a week this should be the NEW HOME of Fresh2Death and Baja or Bust.

Makobob

I just put those #s into Google earth and got Maynila, Phillippines? Of course I never used it before so maybe thats why?

alanw
02-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I just put those #s into Google earth and got Maynila, Phillippines? Of course I never used it before so maybe thats why?

Try

29° 54' 32.3", -114° 27' 43.2"

Or
29° 54' 32.3" N, 114° 27' 43.2" W

Or
29.908972,-114.462000

makobob
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks I haven't been able to sleep for weeks! It's definitely a great place to celebrate your B-Day. This weekend can't come soon enough:D

Also thanks for putting up those #s Bob!

Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Rob you are not the only one having a problem sleeping. But I feel it is a very good problem to have, just think two more days and we will know for sure. You win, I win, and BWE wins! What could be better. Everyone, cross your fingers and wish us luck. You will all know by Monday if BWE has a new camping spot.

Makobob

makobob
02-09-2014, 10:08 PM
It is official.
BWE Members NOW have a place in Baja where they can come to fish, camp and party. Easy beach launch and landing. Less than 6 hours from San Diego. Robmoney and Makobob now have a place at Las Encantadas, km 134 just 10 miles north of Gonzaga. It is going to need a lot of work, but for now it is a place to stay. Video and pictures should be posted sometime tomorrow. Tight line and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

svendawg
02-10-2014, 07:25 AM
That's good ews Bob. can't wait to see the video and photos. Will be looking forward to seeing it in person

walrus
02-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Congrats, looking forward to helping out a bit between fishing while we're there in April. No construction skills, but I'm not afraid of breaking a sweat when pointed in the right direction.

SDROB
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Yup!:D

ful-rac
02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
AWESOME!!!!:luxhello:

makobob
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
AWESOME!!!!:luxhello:

The BWE community is welcome, If you are allowed out of the SEWER, (meaning RAT RACE) Feel FREE to come on down. not into the sewer but into what some of us think of as PARADISE. Check out Baja or Bust under Social Groups, see the posting on PROJECT LAS ENCANTADAS. Hope to see all of you there eventually.

Makobob

walrus
02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Las Encantadas and Punta Bufero

makobob
02-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Wally, thank you for the picture, and specially for the 100 2x4's you donated to PROJECT LAS ENCANADAS. That was a big jump start for our project. Also thanks go out to Brandon for 27 sheets of 1/2" plywood siding, Sven for a toilet and two bathroon sinks. Awesome guys, others have offered help with labor, thanks guys it all helps. Rob, Bob and Ron are going back down on the 8-9 of March, to move more sand and maybe put up a wall or two. Will post pictures upon our return.

Makobob

Chuck D
03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Day 1
First trip to Baja, a little nervous, very excited and over-prepared. Head down to a gas station to meet up with Bob, Steve, Sven and his dad (koo-kee monster). Hit the road at 6am and after a not so bad drive make it to paradise by 1pm. Border crossing was quick and there was only one military checkpoint along the way, it was easy and they were friendly. The weather was fantastic the water was so blue. Set up tent, gear and made it out for an afternoon fishing session with Steve and Sven before dinner. Got a few sand bass and a trigger or two that was it, nothing too crazy. Headed in for a nice meal and bonfire with the crew. Fell asleep with a spectacular star show and got rest for the next day.

Day 2
Wake up at 6am, make a plan with Sven to go SE to the point and the wind ends up ripping towards it 15-20. We didn’t want to get sent all the way down to Cabo so we fought the wind the other way. Choppy, found a flock of birds going nuts and under me was a massive school of Sierra, which are like mackerel the size of a trout with sharp teeth. Had a couple broke off but managed to pull in 7 or 8 and kept 5 for ceviche later. Went on catching triggers, sand bass and then the wind died down and headed to the point. Got hooked into a nice red snapper and went on down the coast. Fighting the reversed winds, my rod gets slammed and up comes a nice 10lb Cabrilla, fat leapord grouper. Spent from the wind time to head back, trolled on the way and caught a 5lb Hali, sent her back to get bigger. This was the one and only Halibut I caught all trip. ***Disclaimer, sculpin in picture were caught by Sven and donated to me.

Day 3
Wake up to my tent slamming me on the side my head as an alarm clock, 6am. Excited to go fishing, but worried I might not be able to safely. Get an amazing breakfast burrito homemade by Bob in my stomach and just like that the wind is gone. Time to go fishing! Get out to my spot I got my Cabrilla the day before and nothings hitting. Go a quarter mile more and bzzzzz… my trolling line get ripped at a fast rate. It was big and strong, hoping this big fish that I ran into in shallow water wouldn’t run me in the rocks, I buttoned my drag down and landed my 32lb Yellow. Beautiful fish but the day is early. I keep running down the coast and not 10min later, BAM. I get hit again hard only this time a 15lb beastly Cabrilla is on my line, amazing fish. Thinking that things cannot get much better I turn around and start heading back closer to camp. About half an hour later, round 3, I get slammed again only this time I battle and look down in the water and I see a 15lb White Sea Bass. All these big fish strapped down, I want to ice em up so on my way back. Slam I can hit again 10 min later, another 15lb Cabrilla. This is out of control, I can fit anymore fish but still troll and take a nice looking red snapper with me before I return. What an EPIC day, fantastic fishing. Oh by the way we were the only people out on the water that day.

Day 4
Start the day with no wind at all, perfect day! Back to some familiar spots, birds everywhere. First thing get a orange mouthed corvina (they look like small WSB), then I loose my favorite lure on a rock and my backup to a monster fish that dragged my in the rocks. This is what comes next in order, Cabrilla, YT (on the iron), 3 red snapper, corvina another Cabrilla (on the iron). I caught countless triggers, barracudas and sand bass all released. Saw 3 turtles, a whale countless YT roaming the area and hooked a blue footed booby in its blue foot (released with no harm done). Day was over, sad to leave but had to the next day.

Day 5
Got up early, packed up, left by 9am. Border wait was about 1.5hrs, it was hot and a little crazy driving through town, but eventually made it home by 4:30pm. I wish I was back in Baja already. I had a fantastic time with some great quality people Bob, Sven and Dad and Steve. All in all I must have caught almost 100 fish but only kept the beauties. I would do it again in a heartbeat this place is so special, I hope it stays that way. Tight lines and travel south. Thanks again Bob! You want to check it out, watch the video.

http://youtu.be/h-3EIRYE228

Bert Vega
03-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the update and the video. Guys killed it down there.

makobob
03-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Nice video Chuck, glad you could make the trip. Hope to fish with you again.

ful-rac
03-27-2014, 07:44 AM
So Me and Jim (Deamon) are tentatively in as of today, for the april 10th trip. I just realized that I have call in jury service on the 11th...I could just call on sunday when we get back, and show up the next day if they call me in...

Can't wait to get down there!

buddha
03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
So Me and Jim (Deamon) are tentatively in as of today, for the april 10th trip. I just realized that I have call in jury service on the 11th...I could just call on sunday when we get back, and show up the next day if they call me in...

Glad to have a few members of Team Sewer coming to the trip. Sent you a PM.

makobob
03-27-2014, 09:41 AM

It seems that part of TEAM SEWER, Tony and Jim will be joining the Baja Express for part of the trip to Las Encantadas. AWESOME, and welcome aboard. See you guys soon. This trip leaves on the 10th of April and returns on the 20th.