PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff 300a issue

ccacher1
11-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Looked around a bit but wasn't exactly sure what to search for. Basically, my Cardiff 300a isn't dropping lighter weights anymore. The reel sat for a couple months so I'm assuming there is some salt buildup or something inside. Does anyone have any experience with fixing these and could give me some pointers? I'm located in Phoenix otherwise I'd just take it to a Shimano shop. Thanks.

chxh8me
11-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Cardiffs are pretty easy to pull apart and clean out. There's not too much to them.
Any time you have a reel issue, just google Alan Tani and the reel model.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=896.0

Probably just need to pop it open, clean it up a bit, and lube the bearings.
I've done it a few times to my Cardiff. Pretty simple.

jorluivil
11-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a similar problem with my 400 but because I never really use anything less than 6oz I've never bothered looking into it. I took it apart once(all 70+ peices) and managed to get it back together but I think this time I'm taking it to Shimano and letting them handle the repairs/maintenance. I believe they charge $20 plus parts and from what I've heard some guys have walked in with crap and walked out with gold...............I'll let you know how it goes.

MrPatrick
11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
They cured my curado 300EJ that was full of sand after a tumble in the surf $25.

alanw
11-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Unless you have money to burn, strip and clean it out yourself. It's not that hard. Gear maintenance should be a required part of fishing. There's drawings available, and probably even youtube videos. If you run into problems they will put together your box of parts. ;)