PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt fishing

alanw
11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I know a few of you have some experience fishing the Humboldt area. I'm heading up there for a few days to visit my son who's in college in Arcata and was looking for some suggestions on the short list of places to visit and/or fish.

I won't be bringing the yak so it will be a shore only trip. I don't mind some hiking to get to a good spot, but it needs to be limited to day trips only as I've already paid for my hot hotel showers. I don't plan on going as far as Lake Shasta but anywhere half that distance from Arcata might be considered. I plan on hitting the Trinity area and possibly Klamath somewhere (not sure where) and maybe the Eel and/or Mad river, but I'm also not sure about how any low flow river closures right now will affect those ideas. I might also spend a few hours at the Humboldt north jetty and maybe the Prairie river beach area for some perch in the surf but my main goal is just to enjoy the land of the Redwoods, spend time with my son, and maybe land a steelhead or a few trout for this trip.

Any detailed locations would be appreciated.

rhyak
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
With the storm that's passing, I would head up to the Smith about a hour and 30 minute drive but could produce a good salmon, stop by the mad river tackle shop in arcata its off the 1264 Giuntoli Ln exit and ask how the smith is doing. Really early for the Mad, but there is possibly some salmon in there but that's all catch and release. And yeah your probably gonna have low flow still, looks like only one day of good flows with this storm that is about to hit and even then not a great rain that is needed to really get the rivers pumping. you want the flows a constant 16 and its barely hitting 16, but these fish want in bad, there all sitting at the mouth just waiting so this will easily push a good 3000-4000 into the lower river.

alanw
11-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks , I'll check out the Smith. Can you C&R salmon in the Mad during low flow? Sounds like a good bet would be to fish the river mouths right now.

outdoorzen
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
You mught also want to try for rockfish from the shore at Patrick's Point State Park. There are some really nice spots to throw some plastics for dinner. I used to use my Steelhead rods and those were perfect. The Smith is a nice one too. If you make it up to Crecent City, some good shore fishing there too. If it is still there, Rick's haircuts and outdoorstore is a killer little shop for local info. Rick is a guide on the Smith and has been noodle rodding the rockfish for years. He's the owner and sole emplyee so if it's open, he's there. Check it out and good luck! Man I miss the redwoods!

Witty1
11-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I thought rockfish was closed up there?

alanw
11-21-2013, 10:50 PM
You mught also want to try for rockfish from the shore at Patrick's Point State Park. There are some really nice spots to throw some plastics for dinner. I used to use my Steelhead rods and those were perfect. The Smith is a nice one too. If you make it up to Crecent City, some good shore fishing there too. If it is still there, Rick's haircuts and outdoorstore is a killer little shop for local info. Rick is a guide on the Smith and has been noodle rodding the rockfish for years. He's the owner and sole emplyee so if it's open, he's there. Check it out and good luck! Man I miss the redwoods!

Thanks for all the info! Patrick's Point sounds like a good place to check out. Crescent City might be a bit far for a day trip, we'll see.

I thought rockfish was closed up there?

Rockfish are closed for boat based anglers right now but shore based anglers can target them year round.

Witty1
11-21-2013, 11:30 PM
(not meaning to hijack your thread)
But I'm going to be up there (humbold area) myself around Tgiving time...
Can you go for cali-halibut up there?? same tactics as down here??