PDA

View Full Version : Penn SpinfisherV review

makoslayer
12-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Penn reels are by far my favorite reels. I did a review on the battle before and that is a great reel for the price range. These are a bit more expensive in the $115-$150 range but they are worth it!!!! Here is my review of the Penn spinfisherV.

http://www.makoslayer.com/2013/12/let-me-start-out-by-saying-i-have-been.html

www.facebook.com/makoslayer

Chuck D
12-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the review, it was interesting to read. I just got one off amazon a few weeks ago and plan to use it for my surface irons and tagging surface yellows once it warms up out here. I can wait to put it to the test. Great reel for the $ for sure.

Mongo Johnson
12-11-2013, 06:03 AM
As a noob in Long Beach, I've been lurking around for something to do first-time yak fishing.

How do these combos and reel style seem as a fit for a rookie hitting the kelp beds and just off Seal Beach/Newport, Abalone Cove PV?

taggermike
12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the review, sounds like a great line of reels. I was born and raised here in San Diego and remember the days, not all that long ago, when walking a boat with a spinning reel instantly marked as a newb or as "that guy". I didn't own single spinner for decades. I have 3 now and really like them. If I need another I'll look in to the spinfishers. Mike

makoslayer
12-11-2013, 02:55 PM
As a noob in Long Beach, I've been lurking around for something to do first-time yak fishing.

How do these combos and reel style seem as a fit for a rookie hitting the kelp beds and just off Seal Beach/Newport, Abalone Cove PV?

Depends on what species you want to hit. I have the 3500 and 4500 and they put out 20ish lbs of drag. More than enough for kelp bass but since Cali is a bit deeper than I fish maybe a 5500-6500 if you are going for halibut (bigger class of fish) and yellows. All depends on what you are targeting. These are great for new and veteran kayakers alike.

makoslayer
12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the review, sounds like a great line of reels. I was born and raised here in San Diego and remember the days, not all that long ago, when walking a boat with a spinning reel instantly marked as a newb or as "that guy". I didn't own single spinner for decades. I have 3 now and really like them. If I need another I'll look in to the spinfishers. Mike

NP Mike,

I really like these reels and have always been a loyal Penn customer.

chuckt
12-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I read a review on alanhawk and it mentioned that the reel is not water tight as advertised. So I kind of have second thought about getting it for kayak fishing.
Also mentioned about failure on pinion gear, anybody experienced this?

makoslayer
12-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I read a review on alanhawk and it mentioned that the reel is not water tight as advertised. So I kind of have second thought about getting it for kayak fishing.
Also mentioned about failure on pinion gear, anybody experienced this?

According to Penn, water tight and waterproof are different. I was curious about this too. Apparently if you dunk it in water its completely fine but if you start cranking it, water is able to get in......

makoslayer
01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the review, it was interesting to read. I just got one off amazon a few weeks ago and plan to use it for my surface irons and tagging surface yellows once it warms up out here. I can wait to put it to the test. Great reel for the $ for sure.

What model did you get? the 4500/5500?

buddha
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
I am looking at this reel to get as well as a shimano spheros which has excellent reviews also.

makoslayer
01-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I am looking at this reel to get as well as a shimano spheros which has excellent reviews also.

Shimano is a great company. Im just partial to Penn and I really like this one. Make sure you go in depth and check both of them out to compare. Good Luck!!!