PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Groton Connecticut

beef78
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
So, getting stationed in Rotten Groton. Very sad to be leaving San Diego and the West Coast, but very excited to be doing a new job. I had a good time fishing out here the past few years and I will be sad to move away from BWE and the friends I have made out here. I will probably move back after the Navy.
That being said, what do we know about fishing in the New England area? What fish what equipment? Thanks all!

jorluivil
12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
good luck and if you need a carpool buddy please contact stinkymatt

MrPatrick
12-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Go to the NEKF site and join them and get info.
New
England
Kayak
Fishing

They seem like a good group.

Chuck D
12-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey,
I am from CT and those were my fishing stomping grounds back in the day. You will be basically be fishing for Bluefish, Striped Bass, Flounder, Porgies and maybe some sharks if you go out far enough. Bluefish and Stripers were my main targets over the years. The Stripers out there can get over 50lbs, the trophies that is. Bluefish are fun to find and fight as they school up and destroy schools of Bunker (the bait fish), watch out for their teeth. FOr both I use bunker, live if I can snag it with a large treble hook or cut if I buy at the store. The large stripers usually are around structure and go for large cut bunker, but not the heads. They nibble, creep and do not slam the bait. For gear I used a shimano bait runner for years, let the fish run a bit, take the bait then slam it. It is a fun fishery, but I must say SD YT, Halis and WSB are more fun for me. Good luck out there:)

beef78
12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Awesome. I have always wanted to get into some striped bass.

StinkyMatt
12-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Stay on this site and give us updates on the fishing out there.

buddha
12-11-2013, 07:01 PM
The seafood is excellent there.

Monkfish, black sea bass (not the kind here they are small), steamer clams, blue claw crabs, flounder, blowfish, fluke, cod, pollack, etc., are all great eats.

I like the variety of fish there more than here but I would never move back!

I do miss NYC though.

makoslayer
12-11-2013, 07:21 PM
So, getting stationed in Rotten Groton. Very sad to be leaving San Diego and the West Coast, but very excited to be doing a new job. I had a good time fishing out here the past few years and I will be sad to move away from BWE and the friends I have made out here. I will probably move back after the Navy.
That being said, what do we know about fishing in the New England area? What fish what equipment? Thanks all!

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/forumdisplay.php?45-New-England

bubblehide
12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Now that's a hell of a move. If your lucky, you'll have access to parts of the base that almost never get fished; if things are still run the same.

Vis Per Mare.

MrPatrick
12-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Good baseball at Boston! We went this summer and it was just a electric atmosphere. From that one game and that incredible stadium, my wife is now a Sox fan :)!

beef78
12-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks all! It looks like fishing is going to be exciting out there. Not as exciting as it was out here, but I will make due! I will check in with BWE regularly. I plan on moving back to the best coast after my enlistment is up. I was born in California and I want to die here. I've been around the world and everywhere else pretty much sucks. I am probably going to invest in a dry suit, while I am up there. That depends on the water temps. I know when I was on the east coast before, it was like swimming in pisswater, it was so warm. That was in Norfolk/South Carolina, though.

Big Wave Dave
12-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I was stationed in Upstate N.Y. for 4 years, and got down to Groton on occasion to visit friends. There is some good freshwater fishing in the area as well. Unlike San Diego. Never tried the ocean out there.

TJones
12-16-2013, 08:54 AM
:gnorsi:

beef78
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I was stationed in Upstate N.Y. for 4 years, and got down to Groton on occasion to visit friends. There is some good freshwater fishing in the area as well. Unlike San Diego. Never tried the ocean out there.

Most of the fishing I did growing up was freshwater in the sierras. I should do fairly well on that side of things out there. I am not looking forward to the cold, however.