PDA

View Full Version : Live Wells

COLDCUT
12-14-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm still new to the kayak fishing craze but I'm very interested in participating in some of the upcoming tourneys. The question I have is, what setups are people using to keep their catch live for weigh-ins? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

OEX Sunset Beach
12-14-2013, 08:37 AM
You can use a bucket, cooler, any container, need hose, a pump, fittings and a 6 or 12 volt battery, switch.

ctfphoto
12-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Go buy a pre made live bait tank from OEX, I did and it was by far the best kayak fishing accessory you can buy.

I don't use it for tourneys, I use it for Live Bait ;)

COLDCUT
12-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the response. I had planned on buying a bait tank setup anyhow but I just wasnt sure if it would be big enough for anything larger than just baitfish. Is there minimum size any of you would suggest?

Bowrider3
12-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I had this same question. Is the hobie live well big enough?

Fishwhisperer619
12-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend the hobie bait tank as a livewell for anything bigger than a decent spotty. But that could even be pushing it. The shape doesn't give much room for the length of a fish

Jimmyz123
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm still new to the kayak fishing craze but I'm very interested in participating in some of the upcoming tourneys. The question I have is, what setups are people using to keep their catch live for weigh-ins? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Personally I use the larger vittles container for 90% of my fishing, but for tournaments when you need to keep the fish alive, I'll setup a small cooler to let the fish have room to swim.

salty pirate
12-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I usually just keep live bait in my live well but have had 3 lmb 17"-21" in it for a fw tournament. If you need any help setting up let me know, Im in Temecula too.

Eli

COLDCUT
12-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I usually just keep live bait in my live well but have had 3 lmb 17"-21" in it for a fw tournament. If you need any help setting up let me know, Im in Temecula too.

Eli

Thanks Eli, I guess figuring out the size of the live well container will be the key. Maybe I'll just wind up doing two separate containers, one for bait and one for a live well. Maybe I can set up an interchangeable pump system that will work with both. It's good to know I have some help here in Temecula. As soon as the holidays are over and I have a little more time I'm gonna try to start outfitting. I'll be sure to bounce some ideas your way.

BillzBaitz
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I dont want to thread jack but are the OEX live wells big enough for the bass tourneys? Are the hobie ones big enough? i want to do the right thing once and not end up buying a bunch of different live wells.