PDA

View Full Version : What's the best choice: Sealine X SHA or Sealine SL-H?

Mongo Johnson
12-15-2013, 01:33 PM
My ignorance is showing . . . but as I limber up my credit card to FINALLY get what seems to be the most recommended rig on BWE . . . I notice I've NOT a noob's clue the difference between these two reels. I presume it's the jigging . . .

I'll be off PV and LB, kelp bass and halibut . . . .

The X SHA seems the recommended item. But, my inquiring mind wants to know the diff.

Sealine®-X SHA

Not only are these reels perfect for jigging or trolling, the freedom of their Free-Floating Spool lets you fire a lure or live bait with ease when an inviting target pops into view.

Sealine® SL-H

The ultimate in live-bait and jigging reels, these offer long-casting ability, a short-stroke clutch, ultra-fast retrieve and the cranking power of Power Mesh® Drive.

buddha
12-15-2013, 01:43 PM
SL-H

The ultimate in live-bait and jigging reels, these offer long-casting ability, a short-stroke clutch, ultra-fast retrieve and the cranking power of Power Mesh® Drive. Sealine® SL-H Features:
•Long Cast composite spool
•Smooth Teflon®-impregnated felt drag washers
•Powerful Low Center handle placement
•One-piece frame with frame guard
•Oversized machine-cut bronze gears
•Centrifugal spool brake
•Ultra-fast 6.1 to 1 retrieve
•Free-spool adjustment
•Power Mesh® Drive with 4 ball bearings
•Spool click, 2-position power handle (convertible)

SHA

Not only are these reels perfect for jigging or trolling, the freedom of their Free-Floating Spool lets you fire a lure or live bait with ease when an inviting target pops into view.

Sealine-X HA/SHA Features:

Free-Floating Spool, separates the spool from the gear train on outcast for less friction, longer casts and faster lure drop

Three CRBB Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings

Massive, six-element sealed drag, ultra-smooth and consistent

Tough marine bronze and stainless steel gears

High-tensile aluminum spool, super-strong yet super light in weight

Two-position power handle with oversized Soft Touch grip

Rod clamp included

6:1 ratio also.

They are both good reels. I would go with the SHA. I got a killer deal at Turner's earlier in October and got a 30 for 84 bucks.

Mongo Johnson
01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
The differences in the two reels are the amount of ball bearings, 4 for the SL SH and 3 for the SL-X SHA. The SL SH has a graphite spool where the SL-X SHA has an aluminum spool,

The SL SH has the five areas point drive train support where the spool shaft goes all the way through to the cast control cap where the SL-X SHA has a free floating spool, the spool fully disengages from the drive train for maximum casting distance.

The SL-X SHA is our best casting conventional reel.

boxturtle
01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
But doesnt a graphite spool cast alot better?

Mongo Johnson
01-03-2014, 06:28 PM
What I posted is from Daiwa. It's their opinion. The guys in this forum may know best. I'm just a noob sorting things out. :)

Drake
01-03-2014, 09:25 PM
What is your intended method with the reel? Live bait, yoyo or surface iron.

skrilla
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
But doesnt a graphite spool cast alot better?

Not neccessarily. Graphite spools are generally lighter which means less effort to get it spinnng. But unless you're flylining chovies or casting anything under 1/2oz the difference isn't too noticable imho.

I have and use both SL and SLX 20's as go to reels. I can cast jigs just as far with either one with the SLX being a tad more smoother. My SL feels like it grinds in fish with lesser effort, but then again I do favor the "SLOSH" handle and knob over the SHA and SHV.

Overall I favor the SLX SHA but not by much. One thing I noticed from servicing several of these reels is they are prone to salt build up underneath the handle nut cap and between the handle and star. Easily remedied by packing it with grease. Also the bearings need to be lubed religiously. A drop of oil into the spool bearings after every trip and fully packing that drive shaft bearing with marine grease goes a long way.

Mongo Johnson
01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
On what am I targeting . . . That's my rookie dilemma. I've not enough experience to have a clue . . . but need to START. I suspect kelp base off PV, LB, Newport and halibut in the same areas.

One well spoken suggestion has been to just get the "Walmart special" with some braid and hit the water to get some experience and then get better rigs as I get me feet wet and have half-a-clue.

I'd like to get a "good" tool of the trade (if the fish sense it they'll just jump on board) . . . and the 30 Sha keeps coming up. The difference between the above models has been hard to get a read on, though the Sha seems most recommended.

Thanks for tolerating rook' questions.