PDA

View Full Version : Zippered Waders? - advice needed

Hunters Pa
12-20-2013, 08:14 AM
So I have a couple Bass Pro giftcards I want to use. Looking for zippered breathable waders to stay dry on chilly trips. Did a search in the forums and did not find anything substantial, so looking for recommendations. I am 5'11 and about 150#. I already have neoprene waders for tubing so looking for thoughts on something to stay dry and layer underneath to add warmth when needed.

Not looking to break the bank, but willing to spend on something that will last.

wbrewski
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
So I have a couple Bass Pro giftcards I want to use. Looking for zippered breathable waders to stay dry on chilly trips. Did a search in the forums and did not find anything substantial, so looking for recommendations. I am 5'11 and about 150#. I already have neoprene waders for tubing so looking for thoughts on something to stay dry and layer underneath to add warmth when needed.

Not looking to break the bank, but willing to spend on something that will last.

E-BAY all kinds cheep.:cheers1:

Jimmyz123
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I just bought regular waders and installed a zipper into the ones I bought. It saved me about $60.

wbrewski
12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
I just bought regular waders and installed a zipper into the ones I bought. It saved me about $60.
did you post how you did it in the forum? I got the zippers and goop just need the directions.:cheers1:

Jimmyz123
12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
did you post how you did it in the forum? I got the zippers and goop just need the directions.:cheers1:

I'll post up pics. It was pretty easy. Granted it may not be 100% water proof, but it gets the job done. ;)

ctfphoto
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
After going with breathable waders that got old and cold I just switched to High End Scuba Booties and a pair of snow boarder pants/bib. Together they cost less than my waders and are way warmer. I also use velcro straps to make a more water tight seal.

Hunters Pa
12-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have scuba booties and splash pants. Looking to stay dry when I wade into the water and when I drop my feet over the sides to lower center of gravity

Hunters Pa
12-21-2013, 10:12 AM
E-BAY all kinds cheep.:cheers1:

Yep, looking for reviews from people that fish from a yak

steveooo
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I have these

http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman®-Hickory-Swale™-Stocking-Foot/1261191,default,pd.html

Good quality, the zipper works great, and they get the job done. My only real complaint is that over time (and neglect), the saltwater will deteriorate the taped seams, and that is where they will leak first. I never wore extra shoes or booties over the neoprene feet, so I'm sure the walks to and from the car to the launch spots also contributed to their early demise. If you take care of them, they will last you a very long time.

My next purchase will be a nice pair of Kokatat paddling pants from Andy at OEX.

rieffer
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Can anyone give me some contact names or numbers to get zipper's for my waders? I couldn't find any plastic one's at the local fabric stores. There was a great posting a couple of weeks back on how to do the install, but not where to get the materials.

landwhale
12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Shawn I have a pair of Hodgeman zippered waders I have been wearing for a year and have been very happy with them.

philr21
01-06-2014, 05:14 AM
I have the pair of breathable zippered from Cabelas. Love them, 2nd pair and no issues. Like them so much gave the non-zippered pair of same waders to a friend.

You can see me wearing in my report if you want to see what they look like. Makes a world of difference when the morning Monster drink decides it needs to evacuate.