PDA

View Full Version : Down rigger for halibut?

BigRed805
12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Hey fellas I was just wondering if anyone ever uses a down rigger for the butts or if it would be too much of a hassle in the ocean? Just seems like a pretty fool proof way to stay at the depth you want and not have to worry whether your in the "zone" or not.

GregAndrew
12-21-2013, 12:02 AM
I have done it a time or two. You need to know the bottom where you are fishing (avoid snags). And have some good stretches of water at about the same depth. Also you will want to keep moving as you lower your setup. I have a few videos if you are interested (MrGregAndrew on Youtube).

jorluivil
12-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Personally, I think It's more trouble than It's worth. Try using a heavier sinker like an 8oz torpedo and see how you like it before you go and buy a downrigger.

Check out Greg's videos, you'll learn a lot from them.

TJones
12-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Where do you start bouncing ? Or do you just hang the thing out , and cover the most ground you can ? :linesnap: . Any advice from either expert would be appreciated . Ty .

BigRed805
12-22-2013, 09:47 AM
WOW greg... I just watched ALL your videos they were awesome!!!! Clearly your a frickin expert at fishing for the flat kind and i appreciate you taking the time to respond! I have a few local spots with very large sandy areas where I feel i could effectively use a down rigger without too much risk of hanging up. I just have very little experience with fishing deeper water than 40 feet and am unsure of how much weight it would take on any given day to effectively fish a drift and i figured the downrigger would eliminate that problem.. Maybe you guys can give me some general pointers for drifting without a downrigger for halibut. When it comes to rigs Im not looking for complicated right now I just want to master the basics. Im tempted to just start with something like a reverse dropper loop or a regular dropper loop while drifting just to minimize the chance of tangling on the drop. Is there any general rules when it comes to how much weight to use? am i trying to keep my line vertical during the drift or more of a 45 degree angle? I know these questions seem pretty dumb but not being able to get out there and figure this out for myself has my brain running in circles....OCD is a Biotch!!

GregAndrew
12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
The most difficult thing I have found in using a downrigger is noticing when you are bit. Way too often, Halibut will engulf your bait and then just drift along with you. That can make them hard to feel even if you are just drift fishing. And setting up your release clip to release easily can be a drag also if you have to keep resetting your rig all day. Generally, the saying "Use as little weight as you can maintain contact with the bottom with" is true for drift fishing. How much weight that is will depend on your depth and speed, wind direction and speed, and current speed and direction. The question about line angle is a good one actually in relation to the amount of weight to use. When my line is going back at a 45 degree angle to maintain contact with the bottom I will put on a heavier weight. I try to keep it between 4 and 6 oz if I can, but will use 8oz when necessary. Less line and weight between you and Halibut makes them much easier to detect. Lots of Halibut get taken as bycatch on dropperloops. Pretty much anything that gets your bait down within a few feet of the bottom can be effective. Dropperloops, reverses, Carolina rigs, 3-way swivel rigs and Dropshot are just a few. Each has benefits and drawbacks that you will need to tailor around the circumstances of where and how you fish.

taggermike
12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
The strike zone for halibut is easy to find; it's on the bottom. Running a down rigger right on the bottom sounds like a seams like an invitation to a hang up. Try bounce balling or drift a live bait on the bottom with enough weight to keep it there. Mike