PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Transducers

Calico Killer Kevin
01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, been trying to map and dial in my local areas but I've been having trouble getting adequate bottom detail in 180-220ft. I'm running a Lowrance Elite 5 finder with the transducer that it came with which I'm pretty sure is an 83/200khz. Compared to the detail I'm getting in, say, 60-80ft, my deep water detail is very diminished. I can hardly discern hard bottom from soft let alone rockpiles. I am seeing bait schools and what I assume are smaller predators around them, but I'm not totally sure.

I've played with most all the settings from the preset "deep water" to various manual settings like sensitivity, colorline, etc.

Am I doing something wrong? May I ask, what settings are you running at these depths and are you getting good readings? Is it that I absolutely need to pick up a 50/200 transducer which I'm seeing costs at least $100?

TJones
01-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Wet mount ? Directly in water without obstructions?

jorluivil
01-10-2014, 08:04 AM
The 83/200 has a wider beam so you will lose detail in waters deeper than 100', the 50/200 has a narrow beam so it will provide more detail in waters deeper than 100'. I have the 50/200 on my Outback and depending on the depth that I'm in I have to switch back and forth between the 50Khz and 200Khz.

TJones
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
83 on pa / 50 on outback. I have not tried the 83 yet. Get rid of it ? Thx for help

Calico Killer Kevin
01-10-2014, 12:21 PM
It's mounted in a scupper in the water with no obstructions as far as I can tell. It doesn't really matter which way the transducer is facing right (forward or backward)?

Is 50khz night/day difference compared to the 83khz? I'm just trying to justify the cost of a new transducer. Maybe I can sell this one and only pay the difference, but I assume the 83/200 isn't in much demand.

At this point, in 200ft I'm not really getting much bottom feedback at all. Anyway, I'll keep playing with my current setup to rule out user error.

Thanks guys.

jorluivil
01-10-2014, 01:30 PM
It's mounted in a scupper in the water with no obstructions as far as I can tell. It doesn't really matter which way the transducer is facing right (forward or backward)?

Is 50khz night/day difference compared to the 83khz? I'm just trying to justify the cost of a new transducer. Maybe I can sell this one and only pay the difference, but I assume the 83/200 isn't in much demand.

At this point, in 200ft I'm not really getting much bottom feedback at all. Anyway, I'll keep playing with my current setup to rule out user error.

Thanks guys.

Not likely that its user error, it’s just that the 83/200 has a narrower beam so you will not get the same return on the pings.

Have you ever yelled at someone from a distance and in order to have your words/yelling travel further you’ll cup your hands and yell into the openings of your hands. By cupping your hands the sound travels as a narrow beam and will travel further and the person you’re yelling at will likely hear you and respond faster, that’s the 50/200 transducer.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Now, if you yell at the same person from the same distance without cupping your hands the words/yelling will not travel as far or as fast to its intended receiver or destination so the person at the receiving end will get a weak signal thus not acknowledging you as fast, thats the 83/200 transducer.<O:p></O:p>

Make sense?<O:p</O:p

Yeah, I know, it’s a corny explanation but the boss is out, its Friday and I ain’t got …………………………………:D<O:p</O:p

Calico Killer Kevin
01-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Makes perfect sense. :cheers1:

I understand the premise, just wasn't sure how great the actual difference was. Sounds like the 50/200 is worth it.

Now, do you guys just order the 50/200khz transducers from Lowrance?

:you_rock:

makobob
01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
So if you have the elite 5 with 83/200 transducer, will the 50/200 ducer just plug in and work or is there something else you need to do to the fishfinder?
Thanks.

Makobob

StinkyMatt
01-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Now, some guys are a little stubborn about this, but here is my two cents.

Yes, in very deep water there may be a small noticeable difference between the 83 and the 50. In waters that you will fish most of the time you should not have to switch out you ducer unit. I have used both a 50/200 and an 83/200. Not really any difference in my opinion. I fish with a group where we all use the sameHDS units and have compared results for not much difference.

The set up of your settings is the critical part. Set up incorrectly you will miss out on much info. And yes the settings have to be adjusted every time you fish based on water type, clarity, turbidity, etc.

You tube a few videos, there are a couple very detailed ones.

Tight lines.

TJones
01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks . for the range we are dealing in , primarily 80 ' to 120 ' , either ducer is sufficient ? When are we going fishing together ? :confused::confused::confused: .

YakDout
01-12-2014, 06:24 AM
So if you have the elite 5 with 83/200 transducer, will the 50/200 ducer just plug in and work or is there something else you need to do to the fishfinder?
Thanks.

Makobob

I have elite 5 hdi with the corresponding 50/200 ducer . Plugs right in.

kaya_one
01-12-2014, 07:56 AM
I am hearing you want better deeper water readings at 150'+ and the 50/83khz may not be the best option as you'll probably just use the 200khz when in deep.
To my knowledge the 50 or 83khz is is a "wider" view (as Jorluival was saying without cupping your hands when shouting) and best for shallow water. So if you are thinking of swapping out transducer to 50/200 it doesn't sound like the 50 would fix your concerns because I believe you would want to only use the 200 setting when in deeper water.

I suggest look into the settings further while on the water - there is a split/screen option for both khz to see side-by-side I think. You DO have the best transducer mount so that eliminates the mounting concern. Might be an issue with the transducer itself.

I have Elite 4 with 83/200 and can see and read the bottom at 300' fine.

When using the lower khz when in deeper water you are "looking" at a wider area and you really want to see a smaller/narrower area (wider vs narrower) due to the depth and reading based on the depth. Thus, go with the 200khz when in deeper waters to see a "narrower" view.

My .03. I've heard the 50/200 is good but may not be worth the money.