PDA

View Full Version : spool yourself or at the shop?

rogersmith
01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
So I have things organized than minus my one drop shot set up with mono, everything else sports either 30lb or 50/65lb braid. Thinking about getting a line winder and some big spools and doing it at home. Do folks spool themselves or have a shop do it? Math is not my strong suit, but I'm thinking the big spool at home has to be cheaper....

ful-rac
01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
If you use a lot of mono, and have the money to buy a line winder...why not? I don't personally need one because since I fish with spectra now I don't use a lot of mono anymore, I used to though.

If your putting on spectra, I would suggest you take it to the tackle shop and have those guys put it on. It's gotta be on there tight!!! Your just not gonna get the same results at home.

WildernessWanker
01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
If you use a lot of mono, and have the money to buy a line winder...why not? I don't personally need one because since I fish with spectra now I don't use a lot of mono anymore, I used to though.

If your putting on spectra, I would suggest you take it to the tackle shop and have those guys put it on. It's gotta be on there tight!!! Your just not gonna get the same results at home.

I spooled Spectra on my reel the first time and had no issues until I had to put some real pressure on the rod and instantly realized I screwed up. Instant mess! After that I became an advocate for having it done at a shop, time and money well spent.

rogersmith
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
appreciate those responses fellas, I think I will stick to the shop. Dana Landing always does a good job for me

dmrides
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
If you do it at home and have a spare reel, its pretty easy to do yourself.

I have a couple old Jigmaster with greased carbon drag washers. I fill the Jigmaster with the new spectra while applying a good amount of pressure. I have the Jigmaster on an old broken rod that I clamp to the workbench. Then I crank up the drag and transfer the spectra onto the reel I ultimately want it on. The Jigmaster will put out 15+ pounds of smooth drag and my new line is packed on tight as can be. Be sure to use a leather glove to prevent the spetra from slicing your fingers while guiding it evenly onto the reel.

I also use the Jigmasters to hold line if I have extra line, want to flip the line to use the unused side close to the spool, need to store line if I sell a reel etc. The shop might be able to do a better job, but this technique seems to work just fine for me.