PDA

View Full Version : Camping and Fishing with Little Guys

petemaranda
01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Still getting familiar with SoCal and looking for a fresh water place to take the little grandkids camping and fishing. I need to scout Cuyamaca but am looking for some intel.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Cadillyak
01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Lake Cuyamaca, lake Jennings, Santa Ana river lakes and corona lake on certain weekends. The good part about the last two is that you can fish while camping right on the water. The first two I don't think you can fish at night but not 100%.

alanw
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Lake Skinner is good for camping and fishing as well as Lake Irvine, although I've never camped at Irvine but I hear it's good.

FISH11
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
At Lake Cuyamaca you also have to pay like $10 extra to have the yak rinsed off with something they use to ensure you don't bring in mussels. Lake Morena does not do that, just ask you where you last used it and makes sure that the yak is dry and not holding water. Camping is close to the lake and it a short drive to the ramp if you need it or various areas on the banks. It is also a larger lake than Cuyamaca. Both are nice relaxing spots in the mountains.

StinkyMatt
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Do not take your family camping at Santa Ana or Corona........sorry but both places are ghetto! Dirty, muddy, with a sometimes very rude crowd. ( yes, I have fished both)

The other lakes are much nicer and you will have fun.

alanw
01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I agree with Matt. I fished Santa Ana once years ago. Never again.

Raskal311
01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Yea those two places shouldn't even be called a lake. Santa ana river lake is surrounded by industrial buildings!

petemaranda
01-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the intel! I hope to be sending you pictures of the little guys with fish and smiles!

Hunters Pa
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
At Cuyamaca we used to camp at Pinzanita campground. Been a long time since, but it used to be a nice family-oriented place with a pond of bluegill. Camp there and fish at Cuyamaca