PDA

View Full Version : Can you take building materials into Mexico

SDROB
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Cant seem to find the answer online.

Can I take Plywood into Mexico for building materials? I know their is a big termite problem but I wanted to build a storage shed to hold some building supplies. I have a bunch of Plywood and was wondering if I can take it across without any problems?

Anybody got any info on this. I googled it and had got mixed results

rossman
01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
I think in theory the answer is no; at least not without paying duties. That being said, i'm sure it is happening all the time and it depends on how much, how conspicuous it is, the attitude of the guy at the border and probably the temperature and moon phase would affect it too. Mecxican

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rossman
01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Mexican authorities have a way of determining at that particular moment, what is important.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jruiz
01-23-2014, 01:24 PM
My former boss is building a house in san felipe. Most if not all his materials came from the US.

Bert Vega
01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
It was along time ago. But I used to take stacks of pallets for fire wood. Full trailer load with my dirt bike in bed of pickup. Can't count how many times I did that. Without a second look from either side of the border. I wouldn't think plywood would be a issue either.

Sdspeed
01-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Cant seem to find the answer online.

Can I take Plywood into Mexico for building materials? I know their is a big termite problem but I wanted to build a storage shed to hold some building supplies. I have a bunch of Plywood and was wondering if I can take it across without any problems?

Anybody got any info on this. I googled it and had got mixed results

Looks like a problem:confused:

Resricted and or Prohibated. ( I left out the stuffed animals etc. Long list, Plywood was the last item listed.

Hand tools such as screwdrivers or drills
Plywood

The list which is mentioned above is not complete, and is subject to change at any moment by Mexican Customs. It is strongly recommended that travelers seek guidance from a Mexican customs agency before entering Mexico. Travelers must declare all of the items in their possession, including those of personal use.

SDROB
01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate the feedback!

johnnyblaze2009
01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
My cousin is building a house and he takes wood there all the time- 2x4's and 4x8 sheets of plywood. Drywall and even roofing material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jorluivil
01-23-2014, 05:05 PM
My brother drives to San Quintin over a dozen times per year and he takes tool, building materials and extra clothing for the towns people on every trip. It you end up paying duties or get the run around its probably because you got checked by a someone that was having a bad day.

walrus
01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php

Ask your questions on this forum, it is mostly used by people who live or often travel in Baja. There is a section in the forum "Baja home building & living".

SDROB
01-24-2014, 11:39 AM
http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php

Ask your questions on this forum, it is mostly used by people who live or often travel in Baja. There is a section in the forum "Baja home building & living".

Thanks Walrus, Funny thing is I just found that website a few weeks ago and liked it so much I joined. Since I completely forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!