PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish info needed

rogersmith
01-26-2014, 07:54 AM
I think Im going to register for the rockfish derby March 1, but I have never caught one of these species! So...info needed.

1: what would your perfect set up be? I am guessing something in between Calico set ups and YT/WSB gear. I am starting with a Sealine 20 with 65lb braid and need to match a rod

2: Rigs: I am assuming pretty standard dropper loop set up with torpedo weight at the base and squid up on a baitholder hook?

Appreciate it!

JeffB
01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
That works... I like you use a little lighter gear. I usually use a 25lb set up and a 30lb set up, reel size is really not an issue. I love to use jigs, but a dbl dropper loop pinned with squid is almost unbeatable when it comes to rockfish.

Drake
01-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Yup, what Jeff said.

I go lighter, only because it sucks getting hung up in the reef on 65# braid. I usually use 30# floro, because YT have been known to cruise by once in a while and snatch up those squids and I would prefer to be prepared.

Floro is also highly abrasion resistant for when the rock fish take your rig into the reef over, and over, and over, and over.....and over and over and over again.

Finding them isn't hard when you have a meter. Bounce from lobster buoy to lobster buoy and look for speckles on the bottom, reefs, drop off, kelp, boulders....
Anything and everything will hold rockfish.

RobFish
01-26-2014, 10:21 AM
You'll do fine RS with the gear you're thinking.
My usual rockfish setup is a #20 rod, Avet SX, 50# braid, 20# flouro leader.
Lots of different ways to play it. Some go up a class in all areas to prepped if something bigger latches on.
Those glow plastic squid hootchies also bring the rockfish in. Add a little strip of dead squid for some stink factor and be ready!
Good stuff will be happening on 3/1.

tacmik
01-26-2014, 02:33 PM
I think Im going to register for the rockfish derby March 1, but I have never caught one of these species! So...info needed.

1: what would your perfect set up be? I am guessing something in between Calico set ups and YT/WSB gear. I am starting with a Sealine 20 with 65lb braid and need to match a rod

2: Rigs: I am assuming pretty standard dropper loop set up with torpedo weight at the base and squid up on a baitholder hook?

Appreciate it!
I to am entered in the tourney and as I have no experience rock fishing,, I have one more question to add to. What size hooks do you use? Would circle hooks be better? Thanks for any and all information. Mike

TJones
01-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Come across scorpion fish . Handle with with care . Not sure if you have seen these species yet . You can probably familiarize yourself by taking a look at the dfg website . A few species are in the no take category , and some have length limits . Hope this helps .

jruiz
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
If fishing deep I recommend braid so you can feel the bites. Dropper loop, I prefer big hooks to keep dinks away, and maybe a glow jig instead of a sinker at the end.

alanw
01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
A wise LTS guy once said: "Match the hook to the bait"

MrPatrick
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
I like my drop shot set up. Braid is best like said above. I like a rod with a flexible tip, gives them a chance to hook themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogersmith
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
lots of great info, thanks. As for squid, I suppose go with frozen from fish market if you can't catch fresh?

Tuff guy
01-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Dana landing has frozen squid, I think it's like $3 a box, works fine for rockfish