PDA

View Full Version : Predator Kayaks

primosurf
01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
For those who have heard about or tried out these kayaks... your thought?
http://www.predatorkayak.com/
Thanks!!:kayak-surfer:

TravisLovesYaks
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM
For those who have heard about or tried out these kayaks... your thought?
http://www.predatorkayak.com/
Thanks!!:kayak-surfer:

I have never tried the Predator but it looks like this model is made by Old Town. I have a friend who owns a yak made by them and it is durable and well made. Hopefully someone who has tried one of the Predators will chime in with their experience.

primosurf
01-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks Travis! There are so many nice kayaks out there. This kayak seems to have very comfortable seat and nice to stand on but it may compromise the speed by initital looks of the design. I don't know...

easyday
01-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I've see them and they are really nice boats. I believe they are more suitable for freshwater I dont see one of those doing well in open ocean and they are going to be slow, but hey who knows I wanna test paddle one eventually

PAL
01-27-2014, 12:30 PM
The Predators are good boats, a solid mix of stability and performance - just what you'd expect from Ocean Kayak / Old Town. The two brands now share a design team.

If it wasn't for the high sides and deep cockpit, they would do great at La Jolla. When you take a wave over the nose, they fill with water. On the flip side, on flat water the high sides keep the cockpit nice and dry.

The seat is excellent, maybe the best of all the 'beach chair' hi/lo style.

rhyak
01-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I have not taken this boat for a spin yet, but my good buddy has one and loves it. I would say give one a try if you want comfort as the seat cant be beat.

Tuff guy
01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
The Predators are good boats, a solid mix of stability and performance - just what you'd expect from Ocean Kayak / Old Town. The two brands now share a design team.

If it wasn't for the high sides and deep cockpit, they would do great at La Jolla. When you take a wave over the nose, they fill with water. On the flip side, on flat water the high sides keep the cockpit nice and dry.

The seat is excellent, maybe the best of all the 'beach chair' hi/lo style.

Don't a lot of the hobbies have the high sides and deep cockpit as well?

PAL
01-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Don't a lot of the hobbies have the high sides and deep cockpit as well?

Not really. They also have a huge hole in the middle of the cockpit.