PDA

View Full Version : May 3rd 2014 HOW Mission Bay Tournament

OEX Sunset Beach
02-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Mark your calenders and Check back here for all the details! We will be adding to this periodically as we iron out all the details. I have set up a Paypal link below. Cost is $25 .

Boundaries will be anywhere within the harbor. You may not go beyond the end of the 5 MPH zone within the channel.

Everyone is required to launch from the east facing beach adjacent to the ball field on Santa Clara Point, shotgun start 7am

prize payouts for the top finishers, all proceeds going to Heroes on the Water!

1st place finisher will receive a Wilderness Systems Ride 115X
2nd place: Custom rod wrapped by Skrilla
3rd place Werner Hooked Tybee Paddle
4th place TBA
5th place OEX gift certificate
biggest bass entry $5 (money goes directly to our chapter of HOW) winner gets a custom wrapped rod by Jeff B
!st place kids division OEX gift certificate

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=99GKRV3NM9VU8

T ornament hours: 7am-1pm, check in starts at 6 am. You must be in line to weigh your fish no later than 1 pm

After the tournament we will all meet for a great BBQ & awards. Lunch served from noon until 2 pm

Rules:
*** By participating in the Tournament Trail tournaments or events you must adhere to a code of sportsmanlike conduct. Any angler who violates the rules of the events may be disqualified and banned from future participation in all future events as well as all website interactions. This includes conduct before, during and after events both on and off the water as well as online. Conduct deemed inappropriate may be grounds for disqualification or denial from participation in any events or website activities. Judgments of conduct are at the sole discretion of the tournament directors, assisted by website moderators and host facility owners.
1. These tournaments are bass-only events. Sand, Spotted Bay and Calico Bass are the only allowable fish for weighing towards your final stringer.
2. A tournament win is based on the total weight of 5 heaviest fish at the final weigh-in at 1pm.
3. All bass submitted must be alive and at least 14” in length.

4. Artificial baits only. Scents are allowed – squid or other cut bait is not. Berkley Gulp! is allowed.
5. All fishing must be from a kayak, canoe or float tube. No trolling motors or propulsion systems other than paddle, kick or pedal (ie: Hobie kayaks) is allowed.
6. Fish Finders and GPS units are allowed.
7. Tournament hours will be from 7am until 1pm. You are responsible for being on time to the final weigh-in.
8. Scoring will determined by the total weight of an angler's 5 heaviest bass as weighed by the weighboats.
9. You may weigh up to 10 total bass while complying with DFG regulations. The angler is responsible for keeping track of the number of fish weighed. Attempting to weigh more than 10 bass could result in disqualification.
10. You must abide by all DFG regulations.
11. All inquiries, objections or complaints concerning any believed infraction of tournament or DFG rules needs to be stated PRIOR to the awards ceremony.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=santa+clara+point+san+diego&hl=en&hnear=Santa+Clara+Point&gl=us&t=m&z=14

1. Walter Lukowski pp
2. Robert Moore pp
3. Tom Buckalew pp
4. Kirk Gossett (https://www.facebook.com/kirk.gossett.5) pp
5. Roger Smith pp
6. Kevin Harvey mb
7. Dave Easton pp
8. Christopher Hudson pp
9 Jose Cervantes pp
10 Jeff Bias pp
11 James Zimmerman pp
12 Mike Ticoni pp
13. Thomas Sugg pp
14. John Davis pp
15 Kurt Record pp
16 Richard Albright pp
17. Mark Randle pp
18. Ryan Walters mb
19. Matt Grisso pp
20. CJ Siebler mb
21. Steve Green sb
22. Andy Allen sb
23. Andy Bowden pp
24. Danny Jones pp
25. Regina Kelly pp
26. Joseph Zaragoza pp
27. Glenda Blain pp
28. Richard Dame mb
29. Jarrod McGehee pp
30. Ryan Favorite pp
31. Charles Wittenberg pp
32. Matt Michalski pp
33. Michael Baker pp
34. David Cheaney pp
35. Roland Wilson pp
36. Gilbert Hernandez pp
37. Cody Allen pp
38. Aaron Cardoza pp
39. Perry Cardoza pp
40. Kenneth Rosburg pp
41. Greg Viska sb
42. Justin Arakaki pp
43. Harold Henriksen pp
44. Charles Thrasher pp
45. David Voigt pp
46. James Kelley pp
47. Jorge Villegas pp
48. Dennis Morgan pp
49. Mike Lawrence pp
50. Wade Harness pp
51. Lantz Morgan pp
52. Jeff Oldham pp
53. Jason Voigt pp
54. Ed Keil pp
55. Juan Frias pp
56. David Gordon pp
57. Paul Perez mb
58. Kaleo Perez mb (junior)
59. Bill Garber mb
60. Gabriel Anuat pp
61. Roy Bartolome pp
62. Michael Weist pp
63. Michael Mikitka pp
64. Richard Lightfoot pp
65. Brian Kraus pp
66. Kenneth Clay pp
67. Brandon Parks pp
68. Donald Vaughn pp
69. Bobby Koba mb
70. Randall Anuat pp
71. Kevin Clay pp
72. Michael Silva pp
73. David Burks pp
74. John Ruiz pp
75. Gregory Kimmel pp
76. Gregory Decker pp
77. Sven Hansen pp
78. Tony Park pp
79. Ed Glinicke pp
80. Dominic Carlos pp
81. Gary Fong pp

makobob
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
HOW is a great organization for our needy warriors, I am in, paid for and hope to see some of you there to support our troops.

Makobob

Jimmyz123
02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Signing up this Friday.

WCW Moderator
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
It's been too long since we held a tournament here! Some pix from previous tournament.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_03571.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0354.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0366.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0367.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0363.JPG

Siebler
02-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Folks we would love to have you come out and support HOW through this Benefit tournament. Please do note that although we will likely have some of our wounded participate (some are event active members of BWE) this is mainly a Benefit so we will not be needing any loaner gear or volunteers to pair up with vets (although we can always use them for tournament related stuff!).

For those who do not know what HOW is....
How is an Award winning non-profit founded to help our wounded servicemen and servicewomen to relax and rehabilitate through the healing powers of kayak fishing. We are a 100% paddlesports based organization that spans nearly 50 chapters in the US plus Canada, the UK, and Australia.

The funds raised from this tournament will be used for our local SoCal chapter, the NorCal Chapter, and others who need the financial help.

At the event (and also Fred Hall and RockFish Derby(hopefully) there will also be present the 3rd annual KFS HOW Benefit kayak raffle. This year we are raffling a Jackson Cuda 14 fully equipped by Raymarine, YakAttack, Werner Paddles, and many others. Total value of the kayak is rising daily and is pushing 4k. Tickets will be for sale at the event for 5.00 each with no limit as to how many can be bought. Drawing for this raffle will be on July 4th.

On behalf of Myself, the HOW team, and OEX team we hope to see you folks at this event. You really can not support a better non-profit than HOW though a kayak fishing tournament. Come out and help to support HOW and their kayak fishing program by doing what you love- Kayak Fishing.

wbrewski
02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I just paypaled my payment , see you guys there, I got 2 months to get my knee better.:cheers1:

rhyak
02-05-2014, 01:38 PM
OH, wish man, already booked for Central Coast Rockfish Opener...

joe tuipala
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Im in , :reeling:

OEX Sunset Beach
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Boundaries will be anywhere within the harbor. You may not go beyond the end of the 5 MPH zone within the channel.

OEX Sunset Beach
03-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Big thanks to Margarita Mike for offering to weigh fish on his boat :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

wade
03-26-2014, 08:31 AM
IN:reel::you_rock::cheers1:

rogersmith
03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Just signed up and looking forward to the event, look forward to flagging down Mike on his weigh boat!
:reel:

Margarita Mike
03-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Roger, I'll be happy to weigh your fish.
This is going to be a great event. :reeling:

Lit-up1
04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I am in:reel:

makobob
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
LET'S GO GUYS, less than a month away, OPEN your wallets, you might even win. Hard to believe only 8 have paid so far. Hope to see you all there.

Chops6531
04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm in! Hopefully the yak is in on time.

JeffB
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Just signed up!

Siebler
04-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Chops if not I have one for you to use for sure.

Guys we REALLY need you to pre-register! Without having a count before the event we have no idea how much food to get.

One thought on how to fix this is that folks that pre-register get in on the awesome Carne or Fish tacos we will do while those who do not will get hot dogs. Help us out please and register online so that you can have real food!

Iceman
04-08-2014, 10:08 AM
cheap chicken hot dogs, buns and mustard.......that's it! :biggrinjester:

makobob
04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
cheap chicken hot dogs, buns and mustard.......that's it! :biggrinjester:

Baja or Bust will bring some Tapatia for the dawg dudes! And the count is NOW up to 11. COME ON GUYS!

Jimmyz123
04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I officially registered. I can't wait for this.

makobob
04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
GREAT CAUSE, Fun day in the bay. Come on out and help support HOW.

Baja or Bust will donate a CUSTOM Gaff made by Tin Slayer 28 and a Trip to Las Encantadas, expenses paid by me, for 3 days. Winner will drive with me in my vechicle, eat my food and hopefully catch some fish, you pick the weekend.

To be eligable to win YOU MUST be prepaid to fish in the 3 May How Tournament by MIDNITE 15 April. Winners will be drawn on 3 May. Good luck to all.

PLEASE Support HOW, and our returning HEROS and friends they need our support and help. Thank you all, and may God bless you and your families and friends.

tsugg
04-13-2014, 05:44 AM
I'm in.I have a previous engagement but I'm going to try and change that. Even if I can't make it, I'm glad to contribute to a great cause.:party:

Davis2j
04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm in

fisher_4_life
04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I am in as well. Just paid and can't wait to fish with everyone!

-Kurt

powerzz
04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm in. Tight lines.

tsugg
04-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Will five bass stay alive in a hobie live well ?

jorluivil
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I'll check my work schedule for that weekend, if I can I will join.

I need another victory to add to my signature line:D

Siebler
04-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Will five bass stay alive in a hobie live well ?

There will be 2 weigh boats to grab fish and weigh throughout the tournament so no worries just gotta keep a few in there not all 5.

FISH11
04-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Just signed up. Can't wait, I've been wanting to be able and participate in one of these tournaments. Tight Lines. Mark

Fishin' Magician
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Is it possible to sign up the morning of the tournament at 6:00am?

PAL
04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Kayak Fish Magazine will be on hand to cover the event. I should have some of the latest issue too.

I'm thrilled to see it - it's been a long time since the last Mission Bay bass battle.

Siebler
04-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Is it possible to sign up the morning of the tournament at 6:00am?

Day of sign ups are available. Unsure if there is a penalty or not, we hadnt really discussed.

Biggest reason for Pre Registering is so we know to buy enough FOOD!

Fishin' Magician
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm in! Here fishy, fishy, fishy.......:reel:

DESTROYER
04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I will do my best to make this. I will need to barrow a yak and live well since My yak is gone and my livewell is broken. Glad to see these coming back. Well done OEX, Brent, CJ and Andy!

Iceman
04-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Matt,

If CJ can't set you up or anyone else that way, I can bring you one down, I remember we first met at Mission Bay Sailing center with 30 guys or so fishing the tournament, maybe 12- 13 years ago.

Fishwhisperer619
04-18-2014, 07:34 AM
What is the pp, sb, and mb by peoples names?

Iceman
04-18-2014, 07:48 AM
it for my benefit keeping track of payment, paypal mission bay or sunset beach

Fishin' Magician
04-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Hate to ask a stupid question but as this is the first kayak tournament I've ever entered, how do you keep the fish you catch fresh long enough to be weighed? Is there a channel that is used to call the weigh boat over to your location or does everyone just keep their catch in some kind of cooler or bait tank until weigh in time?

:reeling: Here fishy, fishy, fishy......

Fishin' Magician
04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
And by 'fresh' I meant to say 'alive'.

:reel: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.....

joezee1986
04-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Just paid count me in as well see you fellas next week it would be cool to put some more faces to names !
Joseph

Iceman
04-19-2014, 07:47 AM
If you use your Wife or Mom's account on Paypal, put your name in the customer instructions to merchant :D

Jimmyz123
04-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Hate to ask a stupid question but as this is the first kayak tournament I've ever entered, how do you keep the fish you catch fresh long enough to be weighed? Is there a channel that is used to call the weigh boat over to your location or does everyone just keep their catch in some kind of cooler or bait tank until weigh in time?

:reeling: Here fishy, fishy, fishy......

Most of use will have livewells on our Kayaks, some use mesh bags, but there will be 2 weigh boats that when you catch a legal fish, you call them, probably on channel 68 unless they choose a different one, and they will come weigh your catch.

Siebler
04-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Just an update for you guys that are fishing or on the fence. You will all be fishing to win a Brand New Wilderness Systems kayak for 1st place. Donated by Wilderness for this event it will be either a RideX115 or a Ride 135 (Checking on-hand stock and ordering boat today).

Werner Paddles has also donated a paddle for the tournament which will be used as a placement prize as well.

A full list of prizes will be posted hopefully a the end of this week when I finish gathering details form our sponsors.

rhyak
04-21-2014, 11:41 AM
CJ awesome prize man, great odds for coming home with a boat as well.

Need to order some smaller swimbaits for this one just in case the weather up north BLOWS, I will travel south and outfish a bunch of guys ;););) at something I have never done.

I will be a last minute entry but should know by Wednesday or Thursday if I am gonna make the trip up to CenCal or not.

Tight Lines and Tighter Drags is my tip too all of you.

Siebler
04-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Confirmed that First place will be for a 2014 Wilderness Systems RideX 115. That is worth over 1000.00 with great odds of winning!

Fishin' Magician
04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, JimmyZ123. As I don't have a livewell, I'll have to figure out how to keep my winning fish alive long enough to win that cool Wilderness Systems kayak! Asl always, the guys at OEX rock! Thanks CJ for putting this together!

:reel: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.... In it to win it! Cheers! :cheers1:

Jimmyz123
04-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, JimmyZ123. As I don't have a livewell, I'll have to figure out how to keep my winning fish alive long enough to win that cool Wilderness Systems kayak! Asl always, the guys at OEX rock! Thanks CJ for putting this together!

:reel: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.... In it to win it! Cheers! :cheers1:

I may have an extra one built by the time of the event. What type of Kayak do you have?

jorluivil
04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
welp........I'm on call that weekend so fishing any place that is more than 30minutes from work is out of the question.

Chuck D
04-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Just signed up, I am in. Great cause:)

alanw
04-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Rules:
*** By participating in the Tournament Trail tournaments or events you must adhere to a code of sportsmanlike conduct. Any angler who violates the rules of the events may be disqualified and banned from future participation in all future events as well as all website interactions. This includes conduct before, during and after events both on and off the water as well as online. Conduct deemed inappropriate may be grounds for disqualification or denial from participation in any events or website activities. Judgments of conduct are at the sole discretion of the tournament directors, assisted by website moderators and host facility owners.

I don't think I can risk it! I can't be held responsible for what beer does:cheers1:

Honcho
04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Iceman/CJ, how does it work if I bring my son and we fish from the same Yak (tandem hobie)...willing to pay for 2, but wanted to make sure I know the rules about tandem yaks entry...its for a great cause...

skrilla
04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
50/50 if I can fish it but I'm crossing my fingers. I can try and stop by at the very least if you need more volunteers.

Iceman
04-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Iceman/CJ, how does it work if I bring my son and we fish from the same Yak (tandem hobie)...willing to pay for 2, but wanted to make sure I know the rules about tandem yaks entry...its for a great cause...

The entry would be per person, not per kayak. hoping to see more dad's with their kids!

Fishin' Magician
04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Jimmyz123, I have a Malibu Stealth 12.

Margarita Mike
04-23-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm still a weigh boat, sooo lets put me to work.
I've gotta say that new kayak that someone is going to win looks great.
Gotta about a week and half left to sign up.

Margarita Mike :reel:

OEX Sunset Beach
04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks Mike!

Siebler
04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Jimmyz123, I have a Malibu Stealth 12.

Bass dont need a ton of fresh water. A big gulp cup and the built in livewell will work just fine. Just give them some water every so often and call a weigh boat to get them weighed and released.

Jimmyz123
04-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Bass dont need a ton of fresh water. A big gulp cup and the built in livewell will work just fine. Just give them some water every so often and call a weigh boat to get them weighed and released.

^x2 I was thinking he had like a Hobie, or some other kayak that doesn't have the livewell built in.

You can even get a stringer and clip the fish to it while you wait for the weigh boat.

Fishin' Magician
04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I have a stringer, so that's not a problem and my Stealth 12 does have a small center bait tank, but it's pretty small for a bass. But between the two, hopefully I'll be able to make it work. Hey, if I catch one too large to put into the bait tank, I'll be so happy, that the weigh boat won't have any problems in finding me...., I'll be the one sending off fireworks!

:reeling: In it to win it!

Siebler
04-23-2014, 02:04 PM
I have a stringer, so that's not a problem and my Stealth 12 does have a small center bait tank, but it's pretty small for a bass. But between the two, hopefully I'll be able to make it work. Hey, if I catch one too large to put into the bait tank, I'll be so happy, that the weigh boat won't have any problems in finding me...., I'll be the one sending off fireworks!

:reeling: In it to win it!

The S-12 tank is plenty big for bass and the weigh boats make it no worries. We really urge you guys not to use stringers and remind you that dead fish will not count towards your weight. All fish must be released alive.

PapaDave
04-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm in...

(David Cheaney)

StinkyMatt
04-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Just signed up.

What's a bass?:D

Fishin' Magician
04-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Got it! Thanks for the info. Live, not dead. :o)

WildernessWanker
04-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Do Johnny Bass count, that's all I catch these days?!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Fishin' Magician
04-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Gotta admit, I'm pretty pumped up about this tournament! Getting everything all set up!

Ran into a guy the other day who fished in the SWBA Mission Bay Tournament the other week. I guess that they had to confine their fishing to the same area as there was some kind of big outrigger canoe team race in the main portion of the bay so they had to stay on the west side of the bridges. Not a lot of fished weighed, but the ones that were, were pretty big! But they couldn't get into the skinny water as they were all in boats.

Sounded like they were fishing the larger Viejos weeedless MC baits, 7" and larger. I'm just sayin'......

rogersmith
04-25-2014, 08:47 AM
wow, this tournament is really shaping up. encouraging all the folks on the fence to sign up, great cause and its been awhile since we had a big turn out. Great prizes lined up too. Thanks in advance to the OEX guys

Scion619
04-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Ok I'm in!!!!! This is my first tourney hopefully I'll win beginners luck baby!!!!

bwana
04-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I am in and looking forward to the challenge of not getting schooled by all you great SD fishermen.

DennisMorgan
04-25-2014, 07:58 PM
I am all paid up and in....just made my weekend....now I will not be able to sleep for a week thinking about the event....could not be more pumped....look forward to fishing with all of you next Saturday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jorluivil
04-25-2014, 08:22 PM
paid :D

Flyfavorite
04-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Hardly fished Mission bay so this will be intersting but hey, here to have some fun!!!:reeling:

Deamon
04-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Better late than never...IN. Jim

tacmik
04-26-2014, 07:45 AM
After reading the rules for the tourney. I didn't see where it states the boundaries. Are we restricted to just the bay, or can we paddle out thru the channel? Any places considered out of bounds or no fishing allowed? I.E. the bait barge.

Siebler
04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
After reading the rules for the tourney. I didn't see where it states the boundaries. Are we restricted to just the bay, or can we paddle out thru the channel? Any places considered out of bounds or no fishing allowed? I.E. the bait barge.

We have always allowed total bay access so i would say this will stay true. Usually chanel bouys are boundry there. I think we usually say 50 yards from bait receiver? We will give all final details at capt meeting before launch!

Iceman
04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
I had put this further down in the thread, but now added it to the top as well.

Squid Vicious
04-26-2014, 10:07 PM
...I have a small 12 foot boat trailer...will there be a place to park with my truck attached there ?

Siebler
04-27-2014, 12:08 AM
...I have a small 12 foot boat trailer...will there be a place to park with my truck attached there ?

With the boat trailer and limited parking i do ask that you park in the next lot over which is a few hundred yards away, but yes!

Squid Vicious
04-27-2014, 06:23 AM
....thanks...I see where to park now...thanks for the quick response Bro....

COLDCUT
04-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Just signed up! I'll be bringing my 15YO son, who will be fishing in his own kayak, as well. We can't wait! :luxhello:

Squid Vicious
04-27-2014, 02:59 PM
.....signed up......Booyaa !!!.....I'm going to be there friday night...anyone else ?

Jimmyz123
04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
.....signed up......Booyaa !!!.....I'm going to be there friday night...anyone else ?

After seeing how many are signed up, I may come down Friday night also, and I live here in San Diego.

Raul
04-27-2014, 08:03 PM
May I sign up the morning of the event can't confirm yet if I'll make it yet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

wbrewski
04-27-2014, 08:15 PM

What time are you planning to get there?:cheers1:

Squid Vicious
04-27-2014, 08:40 PM
.....I'm going to be there around noon friday

jorluivil
04-28-2014, 06:33 AM
55 and counting :eek:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8MAtEyPE3tE/T5ltu81pnRI/AAAAAAAABG4/2YR4DNRNtL8/s1600/kayaks.jpg

Jimmyz123
04-28-2014, 06:59 AM
55 and counting :eek:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8MAtEyPE3tE/T5ltu81pnRI/AAAAAAAABG4/2YR4DNRNtL8/s1600/kayaks.jpg

Hey! You Crossed my line.

wbrewski
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Do we park at the sport center next to the ball field or at the rec center parking lot??:cheers1:

Fishin' Magician
04-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Is that a case of 'Where's Waldo'? Oh, never mind, found him! He's the one in the yellow kayak....

:reel: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.... Wind and grind!

OEX Sunset Beach
04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes you can sign up the morning of the tournament, bring CASH. Depending on the final count we may have need for overflow parking to the south lot, but if you can park near the ball field. Shot gun start is on the beach next to the ball field.

makobob
04-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Current count 58+ expecting 80. See some of you Friday night.

I will be there FRIDAY Afternoon, can we stay overnight? I will bring 5 dozen homemade warm green chicken tamales, like we had on our way down to Las Encantadas last trip. Any one up for this?

MrPatrick
04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Can't make this event, we are committed to another event. I have something for the event and hope to make it even better come the day of the event, crossing my fingers that it can happen..
The OEX launch gives me the "Heebee Jeebees"!

makobob
04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Can't make this event, we are committed to another event. I have something for the event and hope to make it even better come the day of the event, crossing my fingers that it can happen..
The OEX launch gives me the "Heebee Jeebees"!

What is the matter, can't take the ankle slappers?

jorluivil
04-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Sooooooooo......is there or isn't there overnight parking in that lot?

Regardless, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday around 6pm. if there isn't any overnight parking in that lot I'll park and sleep on some side street. Who else will be there early?

Jimmyz123
04-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Sooooooooo......is there or isn't there overnight parking in that lot?

Regardless, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday around 6pm. if there isn't any overnight parking in that lot I'll park and sleep on some side street. Who else will be there early?

With the amount of people planning to show up, I'm strongly thinking getting down there before midnight.

joezee1986
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Santa Clara is overnight parking....I know this because I partied hard in PB haha and that's where we would park

FISH11
04-28-2014, 07:58 PM
That's not as bad as I thought. There is at least 80 parking spaces by OEX and the Sports plex alone and even more at the other end by the Rec. Center and the paved launch. I do think that I'll be getting there a lot earlier than I had planned though.

Cbad Mike
04-29-2014, 12:29 AM
PAID!!! :)
Here's a picture of the sign at the entrance to the parking lot.

inbx3
04-29-2014, 03:54 AM
Paid!

Squid Vicious
04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Current count 58+ expecting 80. See some of you Friday night.

I will be there FRIDAY Afternoon, can we stay overnight? I will bring 5 dozen homemade warm green chicken tamales, like we had on our way down to Las Encantadas last trip. Any one up for this?

...I'm in showing up around that time too...bringing a small weber Q bringing some brats too

Siebler
04-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Mike has got it.

Basically the sign says you can not park overnight however people do it all the time with no issue so take it as you will.

There is definitely plenty of parking between the 2 lots and we do urge folks to park in the lot just on the other side of the point as to not completely disrupt the other businesses inside our building.

Cbad Mike
04-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Mike has got it.

Basically the sign says you can not park overnight however people do it all the time with no issue so take it as you will.

I see it as it says.... you CAN park there overnight, just not sleep there in your car or truck.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone I know and meeting everyone I don't!!!!

jorluivil
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I see it as it says.... you CAN park there overnight, just not sleep there in your car or truck.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone I know and meeting everyone I don't!!!!

I won't be sleeping, I'll be resting m eyes:D

YakDout
04-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm paid up I'll see you guys there! Probably get down Friday evening as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makobob
04-29-2014, 12:31 PM
5 dozen tamales WILL be there for those spending the evening/night on site. Hope to see you ALL there.

jorluivil
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
5 dozen tamales WILL be there for those spending the evening/night on site. Hope to see you ALL there.

Cool...I'll stop and get a few peices of fried chicken

rogersmith
04-29-2014, 01:43 PM
I did an all nighter in that lot for the blem sale, can't do it again! :ack2:
I'll be there early though, good luck to the "campers" :D

makobob
04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
GREAT CAUSE, Fun day in the bay. Come on out and help support HOW.

Baja or Bust will donate a CUSTOM Gaff made by Tin Slayer 28 and a Trip to Las Encantadas, expenses paid by me, for 3 days. Winner will drive with me in my vechicle, eat my food and hopefully catch some fish, you pick the weekend.

To be eligable to win YOU MUST be prepaid to fish in the 3 May How Tournament by MIDNITE 15 April. Winners will be drawn on 3 May. Good luck to all.

PLEASE Support HOW, and our returning HEROS and friends they need our support and help. Thank you all, and may God bless you and your families and friends.

WINNER of this DRAWING will be drawn on Saturday after the tournament. Those eligable are listed below, Andy confirmed these pre paid BEFORE the midnight cutoff on 15 April. GOOD LUCK.

1. Walter Lukowski pp
2. Robert Moore pp
3. Tom Buckalew pp
4. Kirk Gossett pp
5. Roger Smith pp
6. Kevin Harvey mb
7. Dave Easton pp
8. Christopher Hudson pp
9 Jose Cervantes pp
10 Jeff Bias pp
11 James Zimmerman pp
12 Mike Ticoni pp
13. Thomas Sugg pp
14. John Davis pp
15 Kurt Record pp
16 Richard Albright pp
17. Mark Randle pp
18. Ryan Walters mb

One of these people will win a custom made kayak gaff and the other will win the trip to Las Encantadas.
You can still enter to FISH the tournament, so sign up today, or bring your entry fee with you Saturday.

Mike scales
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Just paid, I'm in! Looking forward to meeting other BWE members.:cheers1::reel:

ful-rac
04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm planning on heading down there Friday as well.

Team Sewer is gonna set up Kamprite City right there in the parking lot. Who else is bringing their kamprite?

jorluivil
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM
If I wanted to could I fish for halibut with live bait? Is that against the rules?

Cbad Mike
04-29-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm planning on heading down there Friday as well.

Cool... I was wondering if you were going to make it.

tsugg
04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
I don't have a VHF radio yet. Will there be cell phone communication with the weigh in boats?

Siebler
04-30-2014, 07:33 AM
I don't have a VHF radio yet. Will there be cell phone communication with the weigh in boats?

That will be at the discretion of the guys on the weigh boats so we can let you know at captains meeting. It usually isnt too hard to flag a weighboat down or find somebody with a radio though.

Iceman
04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
If I wanted to could I fish for halibut with live bait? Is that against the rules? The main idea of this tournament is raising money and awareness to Heroes on the Water and bringing the kayak fishing community together for a fun day on the water. We also like to approach out tournaments in trying to keep a level of professionalism and integrity.

I would say that if you want to come fish halibut with live bait, you would not be allowed to weigh in any bass.

I don't have a VHF radio yet. Will there be cell phone communication with the weigh in boats? Remember these guys in the weigh boats are volunteering their time, while you are fishing they have offered to WORK, so please make it as easy as possible on them and make sure you thank them for being there!

The boats are usually moving around weighing fish, often coming to you to see if you have any fish to weigh. Wave a paddle if you don't have a radio. If you see guys weighing fish paddle over. We will also have someone at the beach where you land to do a final weigh in too. Let's make this something that all involved will want to annually!

LawDog
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM
When is the latest I can pay. I may be out of town on Saturday and won't know for sure till Friday night

Iceman
04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
You can pay the morning of the event if you need to do so.

rogersmith
04-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Sure hope the winds die down, I think they are supposed to by Friday
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/SANDSTORMWeb_San-Diego-257364501.html

Siebler
04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Sure hope the winds die down, I think they are supposed to by Friday
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/SANDSTORMWeb_San-Diego-257364501.html

Should die down for the weekend but right now it is RIDICULOUS. Reminds me of the last Catapolooza. We had actual wind swell at one point today, was pretty awesome to watch actually. The Crew boats were still paddling in it though!

makobob
04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
77 and COUNTING This is going to be a great day on the water for OUR COMMUNITY. 3 days left, come on out and support HOW, and meet others in our community. Jorge you asking to trade tamales for chinken?
Hope to see you all there.

jorluivil
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
77 and COUNTING This is going to be a great day on the water for OUR COMMUNITY. 3 days left, come on out and support HOW, and meet others in our community. Jorge you asking to trade tamales for chinken?

43 years of tamales is enough for me.....................that is unless my mom made them. Nuttin like momma's cooking:D

I'll have a tamale or six..............everything taste good when its free;)

makobob
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
43 years of tamales is enough for me.....................that is unless my mom made them. Nuttin like momma's cooking:D

I'll have a tamale or six..............everything taste good when its free;)

These are home made green chile chicken tamales from my mom's mothers recipe brought years ago from Mexico City. You be the judge.

Jimmyz123
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't think I have ever been to one of these where so many people have signed up. This is going to be great.

bwana
04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Last time I fished Mission Bay was for the WON kayak tournament series back in 2008 or 2009. If I remember correctly there were over 140, maybe as high as 150+ kayaks that day. Plastic Navy archives would have the correct count.

We filled the basin on the start. Not quite as bad as the earlier aerial photo posted here.

kobra
04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Last time I fished Mission Bay was for the WON kayak tournament series back in 2008 or 2009. If I remember correctly there were over 140, maybe as high as 150+ kayaks that day. Plastic Navy archives would have the correct count.

We filled the basin on the start. Not quite as bad as the earlier aerial photo posted here.

There was 220 for that event.

makobob
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM

THINK about the amount of money this is generating for HOW!!!!

If you are not on the list yet HELP OUT HOW come on down and participate! Every dollar helps, and just think about all the great people you could meet and fish with.

Siebler
04-30-2014, 03:00 PM

Maybe next year!

Deamon
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Team Sewer is gonna set up Kamprite City right there in the parking lot. Who else is bringing their kamprite?

I'm bringing the original version of the Kamprite. I was paid a pretty penny for the idea...Jim

ful-rac
04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm bringing the original version of the Kamprite. I was paid a pretty penny for the idea...Jim

Yeah Jim brought his original "Kamprite" to Gonzaga a couple of weeks ago... All the video I took I didn't even think to take a video or even a picture of it. Believe me it was a real beauty!!!! Well thru the Magic of the modern computer and some top of the line CGI, I have reconstructed into digital form of what Jim's "kamprite" looked like.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/pksbshp/media/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg.html)

By the way just signed up for the tournament so it's official! It's gonna be fun!

Cbad Mike
04-30-2014, 06:48 PM
So who exactly is this Cole Man that Jim was inside??? :D

Deamon
04-30-2014, 07:02 PM
So who exactly is this Cole Man that Jim was inside??? :D

Mike! Room for one more Friday night Holmes...

makobob
04-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah Jim brought his original "Kamprite" to Gonzaga a couple of weeks ago... All the video I took I didn't even think to take a video or even a picture of it. Believe me it was a real beauty!!!! Well thru the Magic of the modern computer and some top of the line CGI, I have reconstructed into digital form of what Jim's "kamprite" looked like.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/pksbshp/media/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg.html)

By the way just signed up for the tournament so it's official! It's gonna be fun!

Tony, that is not how I remember it! The top of the tent was MUCH flatter, as it was BEATING Jim about the head and shoulders in 40 mph winds.

jorluivil
04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
The main idea of this tournament is raising money and awareness to Heroes on the Water and bringing the kayak fishing community together for a fun day on the water. We also like to approach out tournaments in trying to keep a level of professionalism and integrity.

I would say that if you want to come fish halibut with live bait, you would not be allowed to weigh in any bass.

No worries.......I'm good with just fishing for bass. I asked because I didn't want to guess and put myself in a situation where my catch -if any- would be questioned. Really looking forward to this event. Thanks again for the reply!

jorluivil
04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Tony, that is not how I remember it! The top of the tent was MUCH flatter, as it was BEATING Jim about the head and shoulders in 40 mph winds.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg

When Tony explained it to me this is exactly how I imagined it.

Raul
04-30-2014, 09:15 PM
I have a extra kayak someone could borrow its one of those PA if anyone care to borrow it or wants to bring a friend that doesnt have a kayak

Deamon
05-01-2014, 04:05 AM
You know how everyone talks about what a nice man MakoBob is..."he's so welcoming"..."he's very generous"..."Bob is The Man"...Bob's tamales are the best!"...blah, blah, blah...
I know him just a bit...differently. He won't hesitate to inject fear and terror into others (me). Spins it slowly...lays out his bait for others (me) to naively take...
"Look out for the SCORPIONS..." says Bob...

Huh...? Did Bob just say SCORPIONS?
"Yep, they happen to enjoy Las Encantadas as much as the people"...
Boom, the Kamprite was invented...Jim

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/JimsCamprite_zps94abe959.jpg

When Tony explained it to me this is exactly how I imagined it.

makobob
05-01-2014, 06:41 AM
You know how everyone talks about what a nice man MakoBob is..."he's so welcoming"..."he's very generous"..."Bob is The Man"...Bob's tamales are the best!"...blah, blah, blah...
I know him just a bit...differently. He won't hesitate to inject fear and terror into others (me). Spins it slowly...lays out his bait for others (me) to naively take...
"Look out for the SCORPIONS..." says Bob...

Huh...? Did Bob just say SCORPIONS?
"Yep, they happen to enjoy Las Encantadas as much as the people"...
Boom, the Kamprite was invented...Jim

Yes SIR that Scorpion was 3+ inches, and had me shaking as I killed it, on the BRIGHTER side if someone brings a portable Black light they might never come back to the desert. The big ones are much safer than the tiny ones, just remember to shake out your shoes before you put them on each day.

makobob
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
HOW tournament is SATURDAY only 2 days left, guessing we are over 80 signed up now. Get your family, friends and neighbors and join us to SUPPORT Hero's on the Water. Great cause, fun get together and good food too. Somebody has to win this thing, WHY NOT YOU!!!.

rhyak
05-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Wish I could make it but the Central Coast is calling my name and I need a couple days away from the computer and other forms of communication and Sur does just that for me,

I like to break it down like this.

Good Friends + Good Girls + Good Beer + Good Music + arguably the most BEAUTIFUL stretch of coast line in the WORLD + GREAT FISHING = MY MECCA

Have fun at the HOW Tournament, raise some cash and have some fun.

fishing md
05-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm using fly's only this time I hope I don't get disqualified ....LOL
:rolleyes::D

lambadmin
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Weigh boat Mad Lamb will be reporting on duty, as every year.

Heads up - different boat this year; look for 26' Glacier Bay cat.

Jimmyz123
05-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Thank you, I'm sure you're going to be busy.

Deamon
05-01-2014, 10:29 AM

2011 Hobie PA sheeping Mad Lamb around as he weighs in fish...will be me :the_finger:

Jimmyz123
05-01-2014, 11:22 AM
This is looking to be an amazing turn out for the HOW program. I've seen photos of events that are help back East and none of them appear to have as many people attending as this event looks to have. This is going to be an amazing event. Can't wait to see everyone Saturday.

Flyfavorite
05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the noob ? So if we do the weigh boats do we still need to weigh in at the end? I don't have nor want to put the fish on a stringer and do not have a livewell

Siebler
05-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Sorry for the noob ? So if we do the weigh boats do we still need to weigh in at the end? I don't have nor want to put the fish on a stringer and do not have a livewell

Weigh boats make keeping fish alive until release very easy. You can weigh with boats and release immediately, no need to keep fish all day. They appreciate it and makes easier for you!

kobra
05-01-2014, 12:58 PM

You're' a good man Adi. Thank you for helping out all these years. :luxhello: Looking forward to seeing you again Saturday.

makobob
05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
AND Adi a bunch of us newb's are also looking forward to meeting YOU, some of us, like me for the FIRST TIME! Thank you for being there for OUR COMMUNITY..

OEX Sunset Beach
05-01-2014, 04:51 PM
hope you like grilled thresher tacos! Tommy of Catalina Offshore has come through and gave us a smoking deal on 40# of T shark to grill up.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0363.JPG

COLDCUT
05-01-2014, 08:04 PM
hope you like grilled thresher tacos! Tommy of Catalina Offshore has come through and gave us a smoking deal on 40# of T shark to grill up.

I hope he threw in a few BubbaBlades to help slice and dice! Gotta love Tommy. :luxhello:

jorluivil
05-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Tick tock............

Fishin' Magician
05-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Just 24 more hours to go.... Just hope the wind dies down!

Here fishy, fishy, fishy.....

jorluivil
05-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Is the Cuda 14 the only item that is going to be raffled off?

Iceman
05-02-2014, 04:33 PM
There are no raffle items specifically for this tournament. The cuda 14 raffle goes through July 4th I believe.

Chasin' Bass
05-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Been doing a little cooking in the garage this week. Find me for free samples while they last. Getjonzd Lures..

LawDog
05-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I'll be there. I'm just gonna pay in the morning. Made it back to San Diego after all

jorluivil
05-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Been doing a little cooking in the garage this week. Find me for free samples while they last. Getjonzd Lures..

I could use a few of those.

dabitch
05-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Hope to see ya'll soon!

DennisMorgan
05-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Gentlemen what a great tournament....our host and volunteers did such a wonderful job...the bite was a bit slow but everyone's effort was still high...congratulations to the winners and the foundation HOW....my son and I had a great time and look forward to similar events with all of you in the future...tight lines and good fishin'

YakDout
05-03-2014, 04:02 PM
My fish count:

2 legal halibut released.
1 dink halibut
1 dink spottie

Iceman
05-03-2014, 04:34 PM
1 legal halibut and 6 spotties from 12-13.5 inches :D crank bait and spinner bait fish

tacmik
05-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Gentlemen what a great tournament....our host and volunteers did such a wonderful job...the bite was a bit slow but everyone's effort was still high...congratulations to the winners and the foundation HOW....my son and I had a great time and look forward to similar events with all of you in the future...tight lines and good fishin'

Want to thank you and everybody that showed up and supported us. It's people like you that make it possible for HOW to operate and help our Vets. Thank you to all that supported us and hope you all had a good time.

FISH11
05-03-2014, 06:36 PM
This was my first Kayak fishing tournament and after not being able to get out and fish on my Kayak for the last 3 1/2 months due to foot surgery and having a cast on. I was so happy to be participating in this event and for such a wonderfull cause. I want to thank everyone involved in putting this on because I know it was a lot of work. Getting to finally meet face to face some of the people I have convernced with on these post was a wonderfull experience. I 'm still working on getting in Kayak fishing shape the paddling endurance is starting to come back but my legs are so weak from not being able to walk while wearing a cast. That hauling the Yak back up that sand hill by myself really let me know that. The fishing was a little slow like most said. I usually don't fish artificial baits other than Irons at La Jolla, so it was a welcomed change of pace to concentrate on swim baits. I used 3 different ElaZteck Z-Man swim baits and some Uni Butter. Even with the slow pace I could tell they worked really well. Kept getting bites although I think there were a lot of Lizard Fish and I did catch 2, 3 Spotties ( between 10 1/2" to 13 3/4") just couldn't make the cut to get one weighed. I can't wait for the next event and meeting even more BWE members.

jruiz
05-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Good tournament and great cause. Fishing was slow for me personally. Landed early and had a couple tacos and hot dogs. Closed my eyes and lied down on the grass and woke up to find everyone gone. Guess I missed the award ceremony so I hope someone took pictures.

jorluivil
05-03-2014, 07:35 PM
For me...........5 spotties all while trolling spinner bait, all fish 13.5 inches

Squid Vicious
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
...6 short bites..2 spit hooks..2 break offs..3 spotties...one 11'..one 11 1/2"..one 13 1/4...damn I suck !...fun meeting every one

Raul
05-03-2014, 09:04 PM
2 spotties 6" , 11 inch let my daughter reel In a small 4 in sandy

alanw
05-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Lots of shorts, did anyone catch any legals? How'd the contest go?

Calicokiller15
05-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Nice day out. 1 short 1 legal 3lbs14oz both on city shrimp big hammer 4" in less than 5' of water against the rocks

Calicokiller15
05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
And 1 huge breakoff on a p.b. spotty same color

Jimmyz123
05-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Bunch of short bites, but my only fish landed today was my first White Sea bass, juvenile of course.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Jimmyz123/WSB1_zps84f13f52.jpg

Fishin' Magician
05-04-2014, 11:52 AM
What a great tournament!!! 100 fellow kayak fisherman..., totally awesome turnout.

I had my first bass within the first 15 or 20 minutes while trolling over to 'my spot'. I thought that it would weigh, but when the weight boat came over, it didn't quite make 14". I had one other short bass and one halibut that ran about 20". All that before 8:30am. Only had a few short hits after that.

Thank you to OEX and to all of our Heroes! Great tournament, can't wait for the next one!

kauaiboy04
05-05-2014, 07:18 AM

2nd from the bottom, i'll take 20 of those.

bus kid
05-05-2014, 09:15 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Jimmyz123/WSB1_zps84f13f52.jpg

What the Frick, WSB on the crank bait :eek:. I thought this was a "fin bait" year! Nice one Jimmy.

Jimmyz123
05-05-2014, 10:09 AM
What the Frick, WSB on the crank bait :eek:. I thought this was a "fin bait" year! Nice one Jimmy.

I was equally shocked. I thought, "Yes! I get to weigh a fish in this tourney." Once I saw what it was I was in disbelief, bummed, and stoked all at the same time. Hopefully my next one will be a keeper.