PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a kayak on a budget

Fish
02-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Hi, Im looking for a fishing kayak been on the forums for a while and finally have space to store one ...however i dont make much money am looking for something around 2-300 bucks something a bit bigger than a scrambler if possible.

i dont know if anything on here goes for that price but am looking for something to start fishing the lakes and also take out to newport bay.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any good deals for a starting kayaker!

Btw i am in the riverside area.

:kayak-surfer:

William Novotny
02-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Hi, Im looking for a fishing kayak been on the forums for a while and finally have space to store one ...however i dont make much money am looking for something around 2-300 bucks something a bit bigger than a scrambler if possible.

i dont know if anything on here goes for that price but am looking for something to start fishing the lakes and also take out to newport bay.

Might takea bit to find something in that price range but I suggest you check out the online store. Oex which is the shop that provides this site for use has really good deals on blem model Malibus. If you are willing to spend another 100 you can get an extreme or mini X and pick up from one of their stores.
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1340/Malibu-Kayaks-BLEMS/Detail

Sdspeed
02-07-2014, 03:19 AM

This one is still posted, maybe a good fit for your budget?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4246444988.html

mrJB
02-07-2014, 05:41 AM
That kayak is toast. Be patient and something will show up. If possible, take a kayak friend to look at any prospects. He should have a better idea on what to check out and possible areas of wear (scupper drains, etc).

For another option, Newport Harbor periodically has auctions on found boats. I've gone to advise friends and they've gotten good deals...

buddha
02-07-2014, 06:36 AM

The Scrambler XT is better than the regular Scrambler and is an angler version. It is much more stable and a nice kayak. Those can usually be had used at a very good price.

Angh
02-07-2014, 06:51 AM
I would highly recommend buying a blem for a budget kayak. It saves an incredible amount of money and it is hardly noticeable. I just picked up a stealth 14 and it was more than half off! www.kayakfishingsupplies.com

William Novotny
02-07-2014, 07:31 AM
I would highly recommend buying a blem for a budget kayak. It saves an incredible amount of money and it is hardly noticeable. I just picked up a stealth 14 and it was more than half off! www.kayakfishingsupplies.com

Yeah seriously. If there is one piece of advice I could give is don't buy cheap stuff that might not suit your needs, just because the price is right. If you save up a bit you can get a kayak you can really be happy in. I'd say 500-600 would be a more reasonable goal. You will probably find one on here fully rigged with paddle and seat

Fish
02-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replys guys ...maybe i should wait a while longer and save up some more cash ...might aswell get something i like ...:)

Fish
02-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah seriously. If there is one piece of advice I could give is don't buy cheap stuff that might not suit your needs, just because the price is right. If you save up a bit you can get a kayak you can really be happy in. I'd say 500-600 would be a more reasonable goal. You will probably find one on here fully rigged with paddle and seat

ive seen some really good deals on here before, 500 ish probably a good place to get to before looking , hopefully soon i just am aching to get out there hehe

FISH11
02-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Might takea bit to find something in that price range but I suggest you check out the online store. Oex which is the shop that provides this site for use has really good deals on blem model Malibus. If you are willing to spend another 100 you can get an extreme or mini X and pick up from one of their stores.
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1340/Malibu-Kayaks-BLEMS/Detail

You can't go wrong with this advise. I agree with William X3. Tight lines

kiyo21
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Pm me lets negotiate :luxhello:

Fish
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Pm me lets negotiate :luxhello:

PM'd

Cbad Mike
02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
NOT MINE BUT COULD BE A GOOD DEAL WITH EVERYTHING THAT COMES WITH IT AND A LITTLE NEGOTIATION.
FOUND ON SD CRAIGSLIST.

Cobra Navigator Kayak rigged for fishing - $550 (san marcos) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
http://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_1WAENmWSZ8V_600x450.jpg
</FIGURE>
<SECTION id=postingbody>I have a cobra navigator kayak in good condition, water tight, and rigged for fishing. I used this kayak to go spearfishing and is very easy and stable to dive off of. I rigged it with a fish finder, bungees, and pole holders.

the kayak will come with 2 paddles, a life vest, the fish finder with battery, and a kayak cart.
</SECTION><SECTION class=cltags><!-- START CLTAGS -->

<!-- CLTAG GeographicArea=san marcos -->Location: san marcos
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

<!-- END CLTAGS --></SECTION>post id: 4297729296
posted: <TIME title="2014-01-21 8:32am" datetime="2014-01-21T08:32:57-0800">17 days ago</TIME>
updated: <TIME title="2014-02-07 9:30am" datetime="2014-02-07T09:30:39-0800">4 hours ago</TIME>
email to friend (https://accounts.craigslist.org/eaf?postingID=4297729296&token=U2FsdGVkX18xMTg0NTExOG8L9f-1nKObFE-VbWJqub8CgNnzORZEweeaHFxTZARjgq_3b5kvnJmAf9bDE7emV qPOzDXcAAVM)
♥ best of (https://post.craigslist.org/flag?flagCode=9&postingID=4297729296)

</SECTION><ASIDE class=tsb>Avoid scams, deal locally (http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams) Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

Fish
02-07-2014, 01:05 PM
just found this pretty near where i live ...its still available what do you guys think ...its a 12 footer no idea what brand tho ..

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4318310030.html

Fish
02-07-2014, 01:07 PM
also comes with paddle , going to check itout on monday...looks like i may have found a deal!

Cadillyak
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I agree with the above and save for what you want. I had been wanting to get into this sport for almost 2 years. I knew what I wanted and didn't want to settle. It took for what seemed like forever, (every little bit of two years), but I was finally able to get what I wanted. Pricey, but well worth the wait. In the mean time, I float tubed, took cattle boats, hit the shore, etc. to get my fix. I put a picture of my dream kayak above my computer monitors in my cube to motivate me. Got the same one, brand new, even same color.:D

Hunters Pa
02-07-2014, 01:42 PM
just found this pretty near where i live ...its still available what do you guys think ...its a 12 footer no idea what brand tho ..

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4318310030.html

Cobra?

Custom paint?

Don't jump in. Paddle a couple and save up a bit. Otherwise you will end up selling it and getting what you really wanted. If you see something on here you like, offer up something in trade as well. You never know.

Wish you would have been shopping a couple weeks ago.

Fish
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Cobra?

Custom paint?

Don't jump in. Paddle a couple and save up a bit. Otherwise you will end up selling it and getting what you really wanted. If you see something on here you like, offer up something in trade as well. You never know.

Wish you would have been shopping a couple weeks ago.

You do have a good point..yea the paint thing is kinda strange but im going to check it out anyways its pretty close to where I live and 200 bucks is pretty much right up my alley...been aching bad to go out to perris lake and newport, its kind of a sanity thing at this point lol

I like that it comes with a depth finder/paddle/seat and some other accesories...i already have tons of fishing gear and also life jackets and a crate and pvc rod holders.

I was also putting into consideration that even if i decide to get a different kayak i have a friend that wants to get into it, i can either give it or sell it for very cheap to him so then i can have partner to go with.

But all in all im going to take a look at it ...if it seems to be kind of a junker then I will pass and save up.

I really appreciate all the feed back from you all!

alanw
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey for $200 it's worth taking a look at. Just make sure it isn't cracking and showing signs of sun damage. The last thing you want to do is throw $200 away that could go towards a nicer yak.

svendawg
02-07-2014, 02:43 PM
There may be a reason it is painted. Might be hiding something. If your gonna buy it have the guy fill it with water half way to make sure she's water tight.

alanw
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Yea make sure it isn't painted with Flex Seal ;)

http://www.getflexseal.com/images/image1.png

johnnyblaze2009
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I agree with the above and save for what you want. I had been wanting to get into this sport for almost 2 years. I knew what I wanted and didn't want to settle. It took for what seemed like forever, (every little bit of two years), but I was finally able to get what I wanted. Pricey, but well worth the wait. In the mean time, I float tubed, took cattle boats, hit the shore, etc. to get my fix. I put a picture of my dream kayak above my computer monitors in my cube to motivate me. Got the same one, brand new, even same color.:D

I couldn't agree more- I've been on this forum since 2009, reading and watching you guys catching bigger yellowtails, White Sea bass and halibut's than I've seen on most all of the boats I've been on. I wanted an x-factor when I seen a coworkers in San Diego but fell in love with the Stealth 12, just never had the money. Until last year I met up with Brett from Kayak Obsessions and got my first kayak, my stealth 12. Until I made that purchase I was pier fishing, surf fishing at Bolsa Chica, and jumping on the El Dorado as much as I could afford. Good luck in your kayak search...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Novotny
02-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I say if it's water tight, get it. You will probably find it to be slow, and track like a bathtub. You will most definitely want to upgrade in the near future, but in the meantime you can fish the lakes and bays and get your beak wet. Put it up on Craigslist for 300 and fish off of it while saving your money for what you want. You will for sure at a minimum get your money back out of the deal. Especially a few months from now when the water starts to warm up. 1 suggesting is to not load up on every piece of fishing gear you own until you learn your kayaks specific limitations. At least until you get used to paddling around. The last think you want to do is roll your kayak with all your gear.

And for the record, i was so anxious to gget on the water when i first decided i wanted to do this, i went and bought a seyvlor inflatable kayak and fished it in the harbor becausei couldn't afford anything else. I must have been a sight.

William Novotny
02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
http://orangecounty.en.craigslist.org/spo/4286308629.html

I'd get this beforei ever bought another cobra. This kayak is short so it will not be fast. But I know from personal experience that they are super stable and have good weight capacity.

Squid Vicious
02-08-2014, 11:20 AM
http://orangecounty.en.craigslist.org/spo/4286308629.html

I'd get this beforei ever bought another cobra. This kayak is short so it will not be fast. But I know from personal experience that they are super stable and have good weight capacity.

...love my mini x

otterpupster
02-08-2014, 01:33 PM

:kayak-surfer:Oex has a clearance on their Blems at their Dist. warehouse in city of Paramount.Get Qex E-mail info on their next sale.Also equipt willB on sale ie paddles,seats & hatches.Usually on Sat.Bware lines show up once word get around.

Fish
02-09-2014, 10:12 PM
thanks again for all the advice guys ....i ended up buying that 200 dollar kayak....it wasnt bad spent the morning cleaning it and putting my gear in and what not ...ill throw some pictures up hopefully tomorrow.

ill be saving up to get something really nice ...once i get that nice kayak will be awesome to have that spare one and have a buddy come along.

super excited tomorrow going to be testing it out at Lake Perris..well see how that goes :D

If all goes well you guys will see me in newport soon!

Tight Lines!

Fish
02-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Ok so just got back from my first yak fishing experience , I had a blast paddledfor 7 hours and im not even feeling it (probably tomorrow lol)

Heres some pictures ...Before Perris , during and after hehe.....got skunked today ....fish werent shallow and I havent purchased a battery for my sonar yet so I was a bit blind ....one guy did tell me he caught a 10.2 hog trolling.

Anyways was mostly out trying the yak, worked out great for me ...ofcourse want something bigger nicer in the future but this will be my project for now , i have alot of plans for it ...repaint(properly), sonar... ect ect

side note.....also learned that my ass does not like being wet ....waders please .....also cant wait to take it out to newport ...now THATS going to be exciting...havent fished there in years!

William Novotny
02-10-2014, 05:05 PM
[/QUOTE]..also cant wait to take it out to newport ...now THATS going to be exciting...havent fished there in years![/QUOTE]

not as exciting as you would think lately......

Fish
02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
..also cant wait to take it out to newport ...now THATS going to be exciting...havent fished there in years![/QUOTE]

not as exciting as you would think lately......[/QUOTE]

Oh really ? where else can i go ...people ever do Los Alamitos....what else is close ?

Cadillyak
02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
It floats, and was $200. That's a come up in my book!!

Fish
02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
It floats, and was $200. That's a come up in my book!!

Yep it's doing the job just fine for now :)

William Novotny
02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
..also cant wait to take it out to newport ...now THATS going to be exciting...havent fished there in years!

not as exciting as you would think lately......[/QUOTE]

Oh really ? where else can i go ...people ever do Los Alamitos....what else is close ?[/QUOTE]

Newport had just been rough lately. It's a good place to get your fix if it's closer to you. When you decide to come out, hot me up

Fish
02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
not as exciting as you would think lately......

Oh really ? where else can i go ...people ever do Los Alamitos....what else is close ?[/QUOTE]

Newport had just been rough lately. It's a good place to get your fix if it's closer to you. When you decide to come out, hot me up[/QUOTE]

Dang, well hopefully it picks up soon been wanting go for some time now , I'll def let you know when I get a chance to go!