PDA

View Full Version : Long beach Breakwall

incxalx
02-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Anybody fish here? I launched from 72nd jetty and it was a serious peddle.. I fished and hooped the wall today for nada(Again);
I was hoping to run into another kayaker and ask for advise but had no luck. anyone wanna fish the wall one of these days?

Quban
02-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Hey I'm pretty new myself and looking to fish when I can. I'm in north Redondo. I've only launched at Cabrillo once. Let me know.

incxalx
02-18-2014, 06:56 AM
@Quban lets do it! Wg end are you available? Im going again Friday

Quban
02-18-2014, 08:37 PM
@incxalx sent you a pm

vincentek9
02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
the breakwall is like a 1.5 - 2 mile paddle from 72nd street i believe. and that part of it (south end) provides good calico, cabezon, rockfish, and GREAT sculpin fishing as long as you are on the OUTSIDE of the wall. i've gone there dozens of times and noticed that the bite almost always shuts off at 9am. which gives you a small fishing window.

calicos, sculpin, cabezon... fish real tight to kelp. along the kelp edge, and even SIT ON TOP OF THE KELP (my kayak has bumped the rocks a few times because i fish so damn close to the kelp).

if you are a bit hesitant... use a dropper loop with 2oz weight, and fish approx 25ft from the wall. this is where the rocks end. lots of sculpin and some rockfish hang out on that rock edge. just keep bouncing a dropper loop into the holes and you'll nail some sculpies. you will also lose a few rigs by getting stuck to the rocks.

fishing at night could be WFO. but paddling that far at night is ill advised.

Casey
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Going hoopnetting Friday at 4 pm if you want to join.

fishnfoool
02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Around late march, early april the halibut just start beginning to spawn just right off the beach at 72nd place jetty. Just get some smelt or troll some plastics around there for some large halibut. I would love to join you in early april.