PDA

View Full Version : Big Tuna kayak

BigTunaL
02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
This is my first post and I'm very glad I'm part of this great forum. I am wondering if anyone owns a big tuna and launches from the surf. Does this kayak perform well in open water?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert Vega
02-20-2014, 02:32 PM
I was looking at the big tuna for my first kayak. I ended up with a PA. Do you plan on using it as a tandem most of the time. If your going to be solo I would look at the big rig instead.

Quban
02-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a hobie pro angler and loooooove it. I never tried a big tuna but its just my two cents. I love the fact that my hands are free to fish while I can pedal around. Very handy.

Raskal311
02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
yea i dont know how the paddle guys do it :D I had a cobra prior and hated fishing in it. It was a great boat, fast and stable but the constant putting my rod down to adjust the boat sucked. Upgraded to a PA after six trips and never looked back.

alanw
02-20-2014, 11:01 PM
hey you hobie guys stop peddling in circles because you have no reverse and talk about the big tuna :D

Raskal311
02-21-2014, 06:42 AM
hey you hobie guys stop peddling in circles because you have no reverse and talk about the big tuna :D

Its peddle or paddle.... Options are good :D

Friends dont let friends fish and paddle!

YakDout
02-21-2014, 06:52 AM

I flip my mirage drive 180 when I want reverse.

Bert Vega
02-21-2014, 07:11 AM

I think the Big Tuna is a great kayak. I wanted to get it so I could take my son here and there. I was told that paddling it solo may be more difficult. And that if I didnt have someone going with me most of the time then get a single seat. If you like the Jackson line look at the big rig. Its a solo and is pretty bad ass IMO.

kauaiboy04
02-21-2014, 07:28 AM
i don't own a big tuna, but have paddled it some. whats types of things are you looking for in a boat? space? speed? stability? tandem? honestly, for the surf, it was a bit 'large' for me, but definitely doable. i'd much rather launch with my cuda, faster and sleek. if its for the bays/lakes then yea, big tuna's cool too. it all depends on what you're looking for.

and to all you paddle haters, i like paddling...

BigTunaL
02-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I would have loved going for a mirage and kept my cheap lifetime tandem for the family, but i cannot afford the extra 1K for the hobie. I think winter season it'll be used solo mostly and summer time with my kids (having 3 chairs is awesome)

I'm going to launch la Jolla shores tomorrow. I will post my test results on Sunday.

Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL
02-23-2014, 11:49 AM
I hit La Jolla shores yesterday and overall I am satisfied with my new kayak.
Speed was not bad at all, we had plenty of leg room, the live bait tank was incredible and very efficient. I put in few Mackerels to test and they stayed alive the whole day. The only negative thing is stability: we could easily tip the boat with an aggressive paddle and a bit of weight shift. Next time I will try to go solo and see if it is more stable this way.