PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in north county SD

YakDout
02-21-2014, 11:45 AM
That wants to hit up the lagoon at tamarack. The halibut are starting to move in pretty good. Also decent spotty fishing here most of the time. Going to launch around 630 and fish til noon. It's a good little local spot

Cbad Mike
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
I fished the lagoon on Wednesday. The water was kinda murky. I couldn't catch any live bait so I soaked frozen squid and tried some swim baits for a few hours for nothing. Talked to a fellow kayaker who said he got a couple of short halibut in the middle lagoon.
Good luck!

YakDout
02-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Right on. Thanks for the report. Ya I usually fish between the 5 and the train tracks. It seems that section holds the most fish.

alanw
02-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Hey I've driven past that lagoon on the 5 and seen the launch/rental area and a few jetskis and boats around. Where do you guys launch/fish at there? You need to buy a permit?

MrPatrick
02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes you need a yearly permit

YakDout
02-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Hey I've driven past that lagoon on the 5 and seen the launch/rental area and a few jetskis and boats around. Where do you guys launch/fish at there? You need to buy a permit?

There's a culdasac past the jet ski rental place. That's where I launch. No permit needed to fish. I have talked to multiple game wardens about it.

ChristLike
02-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I was told any vessel from a boat to a float tube,paddle board, or kayak has to have the permit. Is it to use the launch on the far end by the condos or what? Please clarify.

Been out to the AF1 recently?

YakDout
02-21-2014, 04:53 PM
If you use the jet ski launch, yes you need the permit. If you drive 2 minutes further to the residential culdasac to launch you don't need it. It's actually easier for me to launch here anyways

YakDout
02-21-2014, 04:57 PM

My most productive spot is actually under the 5

Cbad Mike
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
You're supposed to have a permit.
It does not matter one bit where you launch from. Now with that said, when I fish the lagoon I do NOT use a permit. I am not telling anyone that they should break the law that is CLEARLY written on signs at every access. The DFW wardens could care less if you have a permit. The Carlsbad police DO care and will ticket you for not having one.
If you choose to purhase a permit you can at the shop that rents the jet skis for i think $13 for the day.
Here is the deal....... The Carlsbad police do not patrol the lagoon in the winter time (now).
They DO patrol the lagoon on a police boat in the summer months. When they are patrolling they will come right up to you and ask for your permit and ticket you if you don't have one.
If you are going to fish without the permit DO NOT launch from where the jet ski rental place is (snug harbor). That's just asking for a problem. Launch from the northeast end off of the beach at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Have fun!

alanw
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
You're supposed to have a permit.
It does not matter one bit where you launch from. Now with that said, when I fish the lagoon I do NOT use a permit. I am not telling anyone that they should break the law that is CLEARLY written on signs at every access. The DFW wardens could care less if you have a permit. The Carlsbad police DO care and will ticket you for not having one.
If you choose to purhase a permit you can at the shop that rents the jet skis for i think $13 for the day.
Here is the deal....... The Carlsbad police do not patrol the lagoon in the winter time (now).
They DO patrol the lagoon on a police boat in the summer months. When they are patrolling they will come right up to you and ask for your permit and ticket you if you don't have one.
If you are going to fish without the permit DO NOT launch from where the jet ski rental place is (snug harbor). That's just asking for a problem. Launch from the northeast end off of the beach at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Have fun!

Check this out, All vessels (except non-powered ones launching at the passive use area) require a launching facility permit. This seems to me that kayaks are exempt when using the passive use area which from their map is the extreme east end. Under the 5 bridge I guess would require the permit no matter where you launched.

http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departments/parksandrec/aquatics/Pages/lagoon-permits.aspx

Is there any good fishing at the east end passive use area?

YakDout
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
In laments terms, I fish here no permit often. I have caught some good size halibut in this lagoon and my buddy got his first legal here. Big tide swings help.

alanw
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe I read it wrong. It says you don't need a launch facility permit when launching at the passive use area. It doesn't say anything about having to stay in that area.

Is there a difference between the "launch facility permit" and the "annual or daily permit"?

BigTunaL
02-23-2014, 11:21 AM
I just called the Monroe Street Pool and they confirmed that you have to pay for Kayaks as well regardless where you launch from :mad:

I live in Carlsbad and I am new to kayak fishing, would love to learn about kayak-friendly locations in this area.

I tried to launch last week from Ponto Beach, but the surf was a little intimidating without a wetsuit on.

Cheers

Big T
02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
So the written rules for vessels and the spoken rules from the "pool" seem to be rather contradictive. Unless of course "non-powered" means inner tubes/rafts without some sort of propultion other than hands and feet.

They don't specify what "powered" and or "passive" means. Does powered include paddle-powered or electric/gas engine powered. Seems vague to me.