PDA

View Full Version : Another reason not to discard line or tackle in the ocean..

TekkaYaker
02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
This is pretty amazing and a good reminder to bring your trash back to shore with you.. Someone may have snagged it too I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gvgkHSyKFE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MrPatrick
02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
We've done that Manta Encounter. A top ten life event for sure. I go out of my way to get trash off of the water every trip. Maybe we can have a clean up day in the future.

TekkaYaker
02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Yeah, kills me how many mylar balloons are out there all the time.. I would hope that most guys are picking up trash as well, always good for the fishing karma!

old_rookie
02-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah, kills me how many mylar balloons are out there all the time.. I would hope that most guys are picking up trash as well, always good for the fishing karma!

Whenever I can reach something while paddling I'll grab it - but I look twice now after I picked up a 7-11 cup and wondered what is this brown stuff - almost lost my lunch when I realized the cup was used as a toilet.

When I was on a 1/2 a few years ago I remember seeing a guy take about 20ft of line off and just tossed it over like it was nothing.

That's amazing the dolphin stayed close until the line was cut off.

619-SWIM-DOG
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
We've done that Manta Encounter. A top ten life event for sure. I go out of my way to get trash off of the water every trip. Maybe we can have a clean up day in the future.

We should have a clean up day or weekend. I do my part every time I'm
Out to pick up anything I see out there. Please everyone do
The same and don't add to the problem.

dorado50
02-27-2014, 12:20 AM
A few years ago I was doing a boat delivery and one of my crew members was un-spooling a 70 wide, I'm thinking he's just going to re-spool the line. The next thing I see is a reel with no line(about 1000yds). He had cut off the line !. I raged and he no longer crewed with me again......what a dumb F.

jorluivil
02-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Its not just fishing line.......plastic bags(shopping & garbage), potato chip bags, pieces of wood, foam cups, can of whip cream, hard hat, plastic bottles. If it floats and I see it I'm picking it up.

addicted2sp33d
02-27-2014, 06:43 AM
I always come back with little bits of random things that I find, mostly plastic wrappers, although I collected a beer can in SD Bay once.

rieffer
02-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Amen! I knew there was something useful for the net.

Jimmyz123
02-27-2014, 06:48 AM
I think if if we all just pick up a little here and there, also being mindful of what we are picking up, but that in itself is good for the sport and the environment. Be careful of cups floating with brown stuff in them.

blitzburgh
02-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Its not just fishing line.......plastic bags(shopping & garbage), potato chip bags, pieces of wood, foam cups, can of whip cream, hard hat, plastic bottles. If it floats and I see I'm picking it up.

This ^^^

There are plenty of douche bags littering on the water...but there are waaaaaay more on land fouling things up for our oceans. Any little bit we can do is something.

Bert Vega
02-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Whenever I can reach something while paddling I'll grab it - but I look twice now after I picked up a 7-11 cup and wondered what is this brown stuff - almost lost my lunch when I realized the cup was used as a toilet.

That's a crappy situation!

makobob
02-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Over the years, I've picked a ton of ciggarette butts out of the ocean and bays, question is what do YOU do with yours?

Chuck D
02-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Talking about fishing line and local.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/559599