PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums. Cant wait to start yak fishing!

87yota4runner
02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Whats up bigwater! My name is Brian and i live in the san bernardino mountains(between big bear and lake arrowhead). My brother has had a malibu pro explorer for a couple years and ive been trying to get one since. During my search i came across a bigwater member terry(cjkdad) and he said to check out the site. Finally i found a good trade(craigslist) and got my dad and I both cobra explorers that are in great condition. His is bone stock and in great condition. Mine has some more scratches but has a center hatch, front a-hatch, a surf to summit seat with attached bag and rod holder, as well as a scotty base by my left knee. Oh and a bendin branched whisper dream paddle(hope it works well there only $60 online)
Ive only fished out of my brothers kayak once and i lost the tiny uglystick setup that i got for my 5th birthday cause it had too short of a rod base and we didnt have bungies, so im definitely going to get some budgies to save my gear.
Im not sure if i want to add flush mount rod holders behind the seat or just use the ones built into the seat(seems like you could feel a good hit better with the seat)
I really want to ad a nice fish finder to the scotty base, and hopefully use one of those deck plugs to run the wiring through the hull so its removable for transport and storage.
Eventually ill need to set up a bait tank for when we go to dana point but ill mostly be fishing big bear and silverwood lake and cant use live bait for that.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please feel free to chime in. Ive never rigged a kayak before but i have used the search bar extensively haha
Basically the target fish are Big and Small Mouth Bass, Trout, Crappie, Striper, Halibut, Thresher pups and hopefully some Tuna and Dorado.
Ill post some pics and hopefully ill b doing a rigging thread on them.
Thanks for reading!
Brian

Monovasia
02-27-2014, 07:35 PM
This is a great site, with great people….fishing the BWE from the kayak is a great rush...

Big T
02-27-2014, 08:04 PM
This is a great site, with great people….fishing the BWE from the kayak is a great rush...

Except for me. I'm a total prick.:cool:

YakMedic
02-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Welcome aboard, I fish big bear and Silverwood often. Both good places to do a short morning fishing session

FISH11
02-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Welcome aboard. You"ll find a lot of good tips and gear on this site. First sounds like you should get or make some leashes for all your gear. Sound like you found that out already. If you want to save some money for the other things then just buy some parachute cord (walmart for around $5) and make as many 3' leashes as you need and save the rest of the cord for many other uses you'll find. Tight lines. Mark

87yota4runner
02-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys, sounds like cjkdad leaned to be a prick from you dudes haha. I love that most everyone on this site lives in socal, makes for better information.
And yakmedic, hopefully you have some good info on getting into a huge striper bite in silverwood. Ive heard that certain times a year you can even come across a full boil of them but ive only ever caught trout and crappie out of there.
I love the diy aspec of thigs so ill defiantely not be spendig $15-$25 per leash. I like the odea of the paracord for price, but i dont want a bunch of lines spiderwebbing around me when i roll, so im going to go with the coiled style. Ive read some great write ups on making them out of coiled cell phone chargers or even the guy who wraps weedeater line around a dowel and boils it to make his own coild. Ill start off using some velcrow i havle layaig around and eventually move to those ratcheting cable-cuff's from wally world.
Its raining like crazy up here today so hopefully i can get started on those.
Anyone have any insight on posting photos to this site using an iphone? Every time i try it opens the upload page in a new window and that signs me out and spoils my post. Do i have to download tapatalk or is there an easier way?
Ill search for my andwers in the mean time, but if aomeone is bored and knows the answer it would be really helpful!

Dave k
02-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Check out the Fred Hall show in Long Beach next week if you can. Good deals on gear and OEX will be there with a bunch of yaks that might give you some ideas on how to do your own. They'll have lots of accessories for sale too.

Carp
02-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Anyone have any insight on posting photos to this site using an iphone? Every time i try it opens the upload page in a new window and that signs me out and spoils my post. Do i have to download tapatalk or is there an easierway?

I use the photobucket app.

Drake
02-28-2014, 09:53 AM
"kayak" fishing

Drake
02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
"Yak" fishing

Deamon
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM
"kayak" fishing

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11673&stc=1&d=1393613602

Ain't nothing like a late in the day yellow bite as you're setting up for a shot at WSB in the dark!!! :the_finger:

Drake
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
"Yak" fishing

addicted2sp33d
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
And yakmedic, hopefully you have some good info on getting into a huge stripper bite in silverwood.

Huge stripper bite action? :eek: No Thanks, I'll pass.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/adam_fitzwilliam/fat-stripper-pole.jpg

87yota4runner
02-28-2014, 10:59 AM
I think thats the extremely abundant large mouth (b)ass, either that or a carp haha.

GR6RR
02-28-2014, 02:43 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/YqR7cd6OsiVpu/giphy.gif

Just too funny. Didn't even notice all that until those other posts...

87yota4runner
03-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Pics finally

87yota4runner
03-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Mo

87yota4runner
03-01-2014, 01:05 PM
I suck at posting pics, I guess there sideways cause I took them on my iPhone in landscape mode?

87yota4runner
03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Well the weathers crap up here so I made a paddle leash out of a computer cord, zip ties and a velcro strap I had laying around. Still need to grab some cell chargers and cable clamps to make two rod leashes.

Squid Vicious
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM
...nice looking kayak...love those Cobras

87yota4runner
03-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Thanks squid, im curious to see how it does going through the surf compared to my brothers pro explorer. His has a rounder front with a flat bottom that looks like it would stay on top of the water and mine is pretty pointy like it will just spear through the waves and soak me haha

johnnyblaze2009
03-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Tapatalk is pretty easy to use, especially with an iPhone. I live in the San Bernardino area as well (Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FISH11
03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
If you don't already have several cell phone chargers to use the cords, you can buy regular landline phone headset cords. They're really cheap at wall mart for like less then $2 each if you buy a pack with several in it. I made several using those and bungee cord end clips that I bought at OEX. They work great.

87yota4runner
03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Tapatalk is pretty easy to use, especially with an iPhone. I live in the San Bernardino area as well (Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga)

We'll I just downloaded it so I'll see how it goes. Already seems better, thanks! And that's cool your close, do you ever fish big bear and silverwood or only salt?

johnnyblaze2009
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
So far I have only fished the ocean but I would go to silverwood or big bear

87yota4runner
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
If you don't already have several cell phone chargers to use the cords, you can buy regular landline phone headset cords. They're really cheap at wall mart for like less then $2 each if you buy a pack with several in it. I made several using those and bungee cord end clips that I bought at OEX. They work great.

I actually just grabbed two cell chargers for a buck each at the thrift store. I grabbed verizon chargers cause I remember someone saying they last longer. I still need to grab two clips and two cable-clamps to finish them. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/jasa3u6e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/9a3e5e9e.jpg