PDA

View Full Version : rockfish bait

William Novotny
03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I've had allot of guys pm me asking for advice on rockfish and rigging, bait, etc. Thought I'd start this thread to avoid typing the same thing over and over. Feel free to add to this if you want to share your tips.

Simplest way to fish rockfish is a simple double dropper loop setup. I like using owner light mutu circle hooks. I used to use whole squid to try and weed out the dink fish but found that the dinks will still sit there and pick your bait to shreds and it can get expensive taking a whole box of squid every time you go out. Instead I started using plastics on my hooks with a tip of strip squid. Same result as whole squid and you don't blow through bait so quickly. You can use scampis or whatever you like but I've had good results recently with white salted YUM tube baits that look like squid. Shrimp flies with yamamoto grubs have worked well for me as well.

As for line and weight, rockfish are not line shy. I use 65# braid main line and a minimum 30# mono or floro leader for the dropper loops and have used up to 80# mono. The lightest weight I'll use is 3oz torpedo sinkers and I'll use up to 8oz or more depending on current.

If there is no current I like using jigs like Diamond jigs or shimano lucanus jigs. Again, simply because the quality of fish goes up and there is more chance of variety and interesting by-catch. If there is current, forget about lures because it's damn near impossible to keep your presentation on the bottom where the fish are unless you utilize the second eyelet on the lucanus jig and set it up dropshot style with a heavy sinker below your jig. I've never had luck that way though.

Hope this helps some of you New to rockfish. It's easily one of the easiest and most rewarding fish to go after for those new to this sport, and they are superb table fare. The hardest part is finding them. Depths vary up and down the coast. Good luck!

socal_matt
03-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Good idea starting this thread. I'll add a little. I find that using strips of rockfish meat work quite well too. If I'm catching some smaller starry rockfish, I'll filet it and cut the filets in strips, and make sure to leave the skin on the filets, it helps keep it on the hook. I also tend to use bigger hooks so as to keep from accidentally hooking the smaller rockfish that are in the area. I'm talking like 4/0 and up. As for lures, I find that colors of red, orange, yellow, pearlescent white, and even some variants of bright green work well. Hope this helps too.

FISH11
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Great info to add to what we already do. Thanks for sharing.

Fish
03-06-2014, 01:02 AM
how about rod reel set up? curious what you guys are using

Dannowar
03-06-2014, 04:35 AM
Something that cranks a lot of line!!

William Novotny
03-06-2014, 05:48 AM
how about rod reel set up? curious what you guys are using

7' mh rod with sensitive tip and a lot of backbone and any reel that can hold about 150yd of braids. High Speed reel will save you from working too much