PDA

View Full Version : Late Post. Rockfishing on monday

Schmalzy88
03-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Went out this past Monday on the Southern Cal halfday out of Pierpoint Landing with my girlfriend. It was a pretty successful day, we both caught lots of fish too many to count considering all the shorties we threw back. Some red snapper and I'm not entirely sure what species the ones on the bottom right are if anyone has some insight. It was a bit windy with strong currents which was to be expected post storm but it was nice to get out and get my girlfriend learning the ropes. Got her a license so she can start slayin em now too. Hopefully I'll have some pics from the kayak to post soon. oh and she hooked the biggest one (i wound up bringing up all of her fish, i need to build up her reeling arm :cool:)

William Novotny
03-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Hard to tell from the pic but I'm guessing bocaccio rockfish. Also see a nice size stary eyed rockfish in the mix. Nice haul!

chxh8me
03-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Speckled rockfish (aka Bank Perch)?
Thats my guess.

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/groundfish/RockfishGuide/Rockfish_Pages/Speckled_rockfish.htm

The two in the middle on the far right look like Bocaccio.... just based on the size of the mouth alone.

William Novotny
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Could also be olive rockfish. Now that I blow the picture up I can see the darker bars down the back below the dorsal spines. I'm going olive rockfish. Sometimes it's hard to tell Street they have been dead for awhile and their colors fade

Schmalzy88
03-07-2014, 08:22 AM
The deckhand said something about a "square spot" rockfish but wasn't sure either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chxh8me
03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
In that case, I change my answer to squarespot rockfish.

William Novotny
03-07-2014, 08:56 AM
In that case, I change my answer to squarespot rockfish.

X2