PDA

View Full Version : Los Alamitos Bay

Schmalzy88
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Hit the water at 630am, trolled a Panther Martin 4" swimbait to no avail. Worked my way to to the mouth of the jetty and threw a 2" lime green glitter grub with a 1/4oz. Lead head on some kelp paddies and hooked up on this little guy. Roughly a 6" spottie. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/a6ureqam.jpgPretty good way to break in the new member of the fishing family.
Got hassled by this shady mofo on the way out and he was casually giving me the stink eye on my way back in http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/2unusa4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blitzburgh
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
That's cool :cheers1:. There is a super aggressive dog that hangs around the Mission Bay bait barge too. Always a fun time

NEEFFF
03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I was hooping KH 2 weeks ago, Thought i was the only one out there. But this Huge Dog Followed me around the whole time Randomly popping up near the yak. Hate those bastards!

Amish Ed
03-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Hey Adam, how's the new yak compared to the old? How was the wind this morning for you? It was blowing hard in Newport.

WildernessWanker
03-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Is this with the new kayak? I've never thrown grubs on lead heads but I suppose it couldn't hurt, plus you didn't get skunked.

Schmalzy88
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Hey Adam, how's the new yak compared to the old? How was the wind this morning for you? It was blowing hard in Newport.

this is indeed the new kayak.
it was a little windy, but night and day compared to the sit in that i had. learned a lot about things i wanna add to the yak tho. going to put some pvc rod holders on the milk crate so i can troll and have some backups/sabiki rods, going to start saving for a decent fish finder and might need some insight on rigging it.
it was my first time going out past the break so i didnt venture too far being that i was solo and made a quick retreat back to the jetty after i checked it out.
damn dirty sea dog scared the holy hell out of me. thought i was going for a swim with that mean SOB but all's well that ends well.
not a monster bass but at least i washed the skunk off.
tight lines, gentlemen.
:reeling:

Schmalzy88
03-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Is this with the new kayak? I've never thrown grubs on lead heads but I suppose it couldn't hurt, plus you didn't get skunked.

not really very experienced in the art of fishing plastics (and kayak fishing in general) but i'm trying new things. was chatting with an old salt down there and he said they were biting that rig so i figured why not.

Amish Ed
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I've never thrown grubs on lead heads but I suppose it couldn't hurt...

How do you rig your grubs? I almost always use a lead head, and on occasion I T-rig them.

Amish Ed
03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
this is indeed the new kayak.
it was a little windy, but night and day compared to the sit in that i had. learned a lot about things i wanna add to the yak tho. going to put some pvc rod holders on the milk crate so i can troll and have some backups/sabiki rods, going to start saving for a decent fish finder and might need some insight on rigging it.
it was my first time going out past the break so i didnt venture too far being that i was solo and made a quick retreat back to the jetty after i checked it out.
damn dirty sea dog scared the holy hell out of me. thought i was going for a swim with that mean SOB but all's well that ends well.
not a monster bass but at least i washed the skunk off.
tight lines, gentlemen.:reeling:

Glad you like the new yak. Tricking them out can be half the fun. I too have been scared poopless by a dog. Hate those things.

Schmalzy88
03-18-2014, 04:52 PM
How do you rig your grubs? I almost always use a lead head, and on occasion I T-rig them.

standard way i would rig if using a big hammer. hook down the center line to about 1/8 inch above the tail. lead flush with the nose

WildernessWanker
03-18-2014, 04:53 PM
I use them on bucktails or dropshot them. Twintails are the closest thing I fish to grubs on a lead head. I should have clarified though, I've never fished grubs shorter than 5" on a lead head.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Amish Ed
03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Funny, I've never tried one on the drop shot.

Squid Vicious
03-18-2014, 06:00 PM
.....the better fishing was around the dog you photoed....all the boat docks and walls hold big spotties