PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma (reel questions)

Carp
03-29-2014, 09:57 AM
So I have been fishing for a long time but still can't cast a bait caster. (I have never had someone show me how)

I bought an MC Avet and still back lashing. I really want to expand my fishing arsenal and use irons and such.

So my questions are:
Would a 6000 penn battle be ok for irons ?
Should I just suck it up and learn to use what I have ?
What spinning combo would you guys recommend?

Thanks

buddha
03-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Sent you a PM.

dmrides
03-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Some people love their coffee grinders and I say more power to them.

Personally, I mostly prefer conventional gear for saltwater, I feel they are so much more versatile. My recommendation, no offense I hope, is to learn how to cast. Don't throw the rod, it is more if a pivoting motion with the rod. Start wih gentle tosses and learn to feel the rod loading up. As you get comfortable, put more power in it. Start at the 10:00 position and end at the 2:00 position, have about 2-4 of line out when you cast. When your jig reacges the apex in the air start slowing down the line and stop the line just as, or even before, your jig hits the water.

Even if you buy a coffee grinder you should still take the time to get comfortable with the conventional gear.

Carp
03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the response! I'm going to work with what I got and save for a nice spinning setup. If I get decent at with the BC I will just splurge on a nicer setup

bus kid
03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
dont over think it...
skip to the 2:00 mark

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7JqbTjHPJ18" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

this is my preferred method of casting when on the cattle boats :D

Smthtnnr
03-29-2014, 06:36 PM
dont over think it...
skip to the 2:00 mark

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7JqbTjHPJ18" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

this is my preferred method of casting when on the cattle boats :D

Take out the drunks idiots. I like it