PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Shows

momo fish
04-27-2014, 04:29 PM
So recovering from a week long trip up the coast for camping Big Sur coast and spending time in Monterey and San Fran. Caught salmon and had a blast with fam as always.

Before I left in trip discovered I had World Fishing Network station on cable and taped a bunch of shows. So spend the day watching basketball and fishing shows.

Well here is my rant or question. Watched Jim's show kayak fishing show and liked it so far. Really enjoyed Bill Boyce's Baja but could be biased cause I love baja and kayaking. I'm just disappointed in most other shows as I was expecting to learn new technique but most shows seem to just be guys taping themselves rave and catch fish. Nothing with tips on catching or methods used.

Not sure if this is the norm or I'm watching the wrong shows. Heck even Wicked Tuna I learned more. Maybe I expected things like when watching cooking or home improvement shows that you get something out of it. What do you guys watch?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/28/sy8ezuma.jpg

makobob
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
I would rather get some friends together and FISH. You could get a guide and FISH. Sorry I know that you did not need or want to hear that.
You can learn from watching programs but watching friends catch and learning from them is MUCH better. Find people in your area and FISH with them.
Join one of my trips to Baja, I do not teach, but you will learn. SOMEONE always catches and we share around the camp fire at night. Who knows it might be YOU doing the catching. For example, Sven went to Asuncion with us. He caught rats. He went to Las Encantadas and caught a few. On his last trip with us he nailed HIS PB. It was a 50 pound plus WSB when it came out of the water. He is NOW king croaker on the leader board for 2014. He is going back again this month, who knows. YES we go to fishy places, but you can do that here, where you live, FISHING with friends is fun and if you keep your eyes open and talk among your selves you will ALL get better. BWE has many people with the information you need. FISH with them whenever you can, make NEW friends and FISH with them.
Josh aka Darkhorse and Wade are two teachers that come to mind, there are others. But FISH whenever you can. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.
Every hour on the water that you are really aware of your surroundings will help, FISH, FISH, FISH. Sorry for MY rant. JUST FISH. You will get better.

momo fish
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
I agree Bob but this is not a replacement for on the water learning just ways to supplement. Same way reading books, websites and fishing magazines.

After arriving home at 2am after a long drive and a week long camping last thing I had the energy to do today was drag kayak down sand and surf launch. Nice to sit and enjoy a show with fresh caught salmon for breakfast, lunch and dinner tonight :)

Will be joining you on your baja adventures soon enough. Cheers.

alanw
04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Yea not many fishing shows on around here but I agree watching guys catch fish kind of sucks. It's all the info in between the catching that makes it good. I do like Wicked Tuna too though, fishing drama hah

momo fish
04-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Btw been reading Mark Weish book "between 2 and 20 fathoms" at night in tent and sooooo worth it!!! The details he provides and conditions to look for is what I have been seeking and will apply once I go out again this week. A book I will be keeping for sure and will add more in future.