PDA

View Full Version : Malibu Kayak Help

WildernessWanker
05-13-2014, 08:46 AM
I currently have a Hobie Revo 13 which I absolutely love but I always have a secondary yak to take a friend, to take out when I want to paddle, or to take out when the conditions are going to be super sloppy. I had a Tarpon but recently discovered when I opened the garage unit it was in that it had been stolen. So time to involuntarily shop around for another yak and thought I'd try something different. I love the idea of storage as I like to store as much as possible below deck to cover any possible chaos on the water and to help with surf launching/landing wherever I want without losing gear. I have heard nothing but great things about the Prowler 15 but like the storage options of the Malibu line a little better. My issue would be with all the different yaks in the Malibu line: X-factor, X13, Stealth, X-caliber, eXtreme, eXpress. I understand some of the small differences such as the bait tank of the Stealth, storage of the x-factor, etc... but can anyone offer up pros and cons in regards to outfitting and/or fishing any of these models. If it helps I'm looking at buying used so if there was a feature on a certain year please mention it to make my search criteria more specific. Thank you in advance for any input!

wiredantz
05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Malibu X13 for storage and speed is good, you just have to saddle your way up to the front to reach the real storage. .

Trident 15 I love it, you don't have to saddle yourself way up, just when you have a big fish you don't have the space as a Malibu.

chxh8me
05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
What is it about the storage options of the malibu line that you like over the Prowler?
I have a Prowler 13T, and I gotta say that having the rod pod is amazing. I replaced the original rod pod hatch with the mod pod, and its even more amazing.
Access to your rods/gear/snacks doesnt get much easier. I also use water tight tupperware bins (held in place with industrial strength velcro) to store gear/keys/wallet/etc inside along the sides below the hatch.

wiredantz
05-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I have trouble putting a wsb head inside my rod pod, then have trouble putting everything else inside.

chxh8me
05-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Prior to my bait tank addition, WSB (avatar) went in the tank well, attached to the game clip, and strapped under the bungees. Now with the tank, Im planning on clipping the game clip to a pad eye, and using a cam strap or two to strap the fish down on top of the mod pod.
I imagine you could always slide the WSB in thru the front hatch if it wont fit in the rod pod.

wiredantz
05-13-2014, 09:25 AM
You know, that's not a bad idea.

WildernessWanker
05-13-2014, 09:29 AM
I love the rod pod, just happens that ones I've come across lately don't have it. There's one on here with it for sale but at $1000 I could almost just buy another used Hobie.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

CheapPelican
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
X-13: One of the better paddling Malibus. Long keel, tracks straight. Better secondary stability for bracing during surf landing. Can easily stow 7'6" rods below deck through the gator hatch (takes some work to stow and remove them while solo on the water. Have a buddy help). Nice flat areas in the hull to glue wet wells to. Punches through waves well. More room in the in the foot well area. $350 for a blem with hatches.

Cons: Narrow gunnels. Seals on Gator hatch could be better. Nylon webbing straps that secure gator hatch snag hooks. Long keel, wider turning radius. Not a fan of the textured surface. No notch in the cup holder to drain water.