PDA

View Full Version : Triple trout in Salt water

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
So there is an awesome angler named Kevin Mattson that fishes swim baits in the salt for calicos and i was considering the possiblity of other salt water applications of big baits. I want to take a 10" triple trout and do a custom colorway of a mac pattern or sardine. I think the stinger hooks and split rings would need to be bulked up to handle the abuse, but I really think the swim action on these would be deadly tossed into a boil of yellows. I just want to get some opinions from guys that are knowledgeable on yellowtail fishing. Do you think the bait could hold up or is it out of the question. I know I want to start using it around the kelp for checkers anyway.

45user
05-15-2014, 04:56 PM
I was wondering the same thing and I think it will work! I have few 8" trout pattern that I don't use. I might try coloring it and use it for yellow... Hmm now if I am good a painter like you lol
I think it will work for sure I might take it to San Clemente to try it out on checkers next week

YakDout
05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Check out the savage gear glide swimmers. Maybe a little cheaper than a TT around $16. And already good paint schemes. Can't speak from experience on holding up to yellowtail. the glide swimmer only has one joint, but great action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Check out the savage gear glide swimmers. Maybe a little cheaper than a TT around $16. And already good paint schemes. Can't speak from experience on holding up to yellowtail. the glide swimmer only has one joint, but great action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the joint is where my concern lies. I think with some upgraded hooks and rings they would hold but not sure on the hinges.

Cadillyak
05-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I have a few TT and I may be wrong, but I don't think the hinges could hold up to the abuse a yellow could dish out. A double digit largemouth sure, but those mossbacks are something serious. Just my two pennies.

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I have a few TT and I may be wrong, but I don't think the hinges could hold up to the abuse a yellow could dish out. A double digit largemouth sure, but those mossbacks are something serious. Just my two pennies.

This was my worry too. Oh well. I'm definitely going to run one down the lanes for some calico action though. I've seen the damage they can do

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Check out this video
BASSKING KEVIN MATTSON TRIPLE TROUT: http://youtu.be/Te4ahHsiSqM

fisher_4_life
05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Check out this video. It isn't the best video but it looks like he landed the yellow on a triple trout.
http://youtu.be/2A1cmSrIljA

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Check out this video. It isn't the best video but it looks like he landed the yellow on a triple trout.
http://youtu.be/2A1cmSrIljA

It can be done! Now I wavy to do it. Looks like he cast out, let it drop to the bottom and cranked it up like a yoyo. I really think it would work good. They have a very unique dying fish action on the drop and sick a lifelike swim

alanw
05-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Why wouldn't it work? Fish are stupid. You only have to be slightly smarter than a fish. They will bite anything that looks like food. You can tie a piece of thread from your shirt to a hook and catch some fish. I've had macs bite on empty hooks.

William Novotny
05-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Why wouldn't it work? Fish are stupid. You only have to be slightly smarter than a fish. They will bite anything that looks like food. You can tie a piece of thread from your shirt to a hook and catch some fish. I've had macs bite on empty hooks.

I know the bait will trigger the fish. The question is well the baits hinged body hold up during the fight.

blitzburgh
05-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I can tell you that I have used some pricey, freshwater - trout swimbaits in the salt. They absolutely work. They also are not built to take the complete beating that the critters we target dish out. Both lasted no more than 3 fish. And those were just Claico's.

William Novotny
05-16-2014, 04:07 PM
I can tell you that I have used some pricey, freshwater - trout swimbaits in the salt. They absolutely work. They also are not built to take the complete beating that the critters we target dish out. Both lasted no more than 3 fish. And those were just Claico's.

3 fish? I just what to catch one