PDA

View Full Version : WTB Kayak Paddle

chris138
06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey I'm looking for a decent kayak paddle for my girlfriend. Needs to be around 220-230cm, straight shaft, prefer high angle design. Looking to spend between $100-$200. Something like a Werner tybee or BB pro angler. Carbon shaft would be bitchin. She is a very strong paddler.

You can PM me or respond to this thread. San Diego county pickup or meet in La Jolla please:)

FISH11
06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Check this out. There is also a model called the Skagit for $5 less. I got as part of a used kayak package I bought from a BWE member a Skagit (don't know the age) but it says Carbon Shaft and it works great and is super light.…….http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1297/Werner-Hooked-Tybee-Kayak/Detail

5-20
06-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I've been looking around for a new paddle too and have read a ton of reviews about a bunch of paddles.

The best deal for a carbon paddle seems to be the Bending Branches Angler Ace. It's right at $199.

Unless I'm mistaken, OEX doesn't have this paddle in stock. I ran to REI yesterday to see if they had it, but they only had a single BB paddle in stock, this clunky aluminum model!

I'll probably order the same type of paddle for myself.

RacinRob
06-12-2014, 11:08 PM
The BB Angler ace is not a full carbon paddle if you did not know. Decent paddle, but if you want light weight look elsewhere for full carbon. Adventure Technology or Werner make better paddles than BB in my opinion. Glass blades and carbon shaft are a good compromise of weight and price if you can't afford full carbon fiber.

I'm new on this site, but have paddled 1000's of miles up here in Nor Cal.

chris138
06-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Thank you for the responses and PMs guys! We ended up buying a new paddle yesterday evening... The Werner Tybee CF IM. Carbon shaft and carbon composite blades, under $200.

Seems pretty stiff, much stiffer than the regular Tybee. But the weight difference is negligible.

It was funny... I was calling around to the different shops. The guy at fastlane was like, "um... we don't really have any good paddles cuz we sell hobies." I guess when you sell $400 bait tanks, having nice carbon blades is just too much overhead! ;) I would think you would need a real legit paddle for launching and landing the PA.

Siebler
06-13-2014, 08:36 AM
The BB Angler ace is not a full carbon paddle if you did not know. Decent paddle, but if you want light weight look elsewhere for full carbon. Adventure Technology or Werner make better paddles than BB in my opinion. Glass blades and carbon shaft are a good compromise of weight and price if you can't afford full carbon fiber.

I'm new on this site, but have paddled 1000's of miles up here in Nor Cal.

We are now blessed with the presence of RacinRob huh? Good to see you down here Rob.

The Cheaper "Carbon" paddles definitely are nicer than aluminum however fall FAR short of a true carbon paddle which will retail in the 300+ range. As Rob said a great balance is something that is a hybrid like the Werner Shuna or AT Oracle Glass will be much better paddles.

With that said however at the 200.00 mark is the Aquabound Manta Ray Fiberglass. Very popular paddles that a lot of people are very happy with. But for 50.00 more the quality comes WAY up and your GF will very much notice the difference knowing her paddling background. Not to mention she gets a discount through the outrigger club with us.

chris138
06-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks CJ, the one you just posted looks really nice as well. I think she will use the tybee for a while then probably want to upgrade to full carbon.

Which is the last thing I want, because she's already gonna be faster than me as it is!! :paddleersmilie: