PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro With Newport Harbor Question

ROSSOLY
11-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi guys, just joined today and am eager to get with it. My ocean fishing experience includes a 10-day trip (224# YFT on 50W), a 5-day (70# YFT on modified Torium 20) and a few small 1 & 1.5 day trips with the wife, that's it. Last trip was in 2007, a bit expensive doing the long range stuff so I sold all heavy gear and am now looking to yak fish.

Got two questions regarding Newport Harbor, (1) if you launch at the Coast Guard area can you park in their lot and (2) where is the "kid park area"?

What I like about the guys on this site is that they are more open to hooking up with other anglers and disclose their areas that they've fished. I've dabbled with surf fishing and guys on a certain So Cal site are so secretive about their spots and the mood on that site doesn't seem to conducive for outsiders.

Cheers!

ful-rac
11-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Got two questions regarding Newport Harbor, (1) if you launch at the Coast Guard area can you park in their lot and (2) where is the "kid park area"?

What I like about the guys on this site is that they are more open to hooking up with other anglers and disclose their areas that they've fished. I've dabbled with surf fishing and guys on a certain So Cal site are so secretive about their spots and the mood on that site doesn't seem to conducive for outsiders.

Cheers!

Question 1: yes
Question 2: across the channel on the other side

Were a secretive bunch here too...some are willing to give more than others...but you shouldnt worry about that. Go fishing and you will eventually learn and figure it out. Dont expect instant results...many guys do.

Have fun!

tamddo714
11-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Coast guard station is a great place to launch. You can park both sides of the row on weekends.

I'm sure you'd be more secretive of your spots if you put out the long hours and persistence on finding these "spots" yourself. I'm a believer of sharing knowledge rather than showing knowledge. But Some things you just have to go find yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSSOLY
11-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Ah don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for "handouts". I was just surprised that when I read old "Newport Harbor" posts guys mentioned roughly where and with what they were fishing. It was a pleasant surprise.

Silbaugh4liberty
11-19-2014, 08:15 PM
The second one down is kids beach area. You can park anywhere in that residential area (that's not painted red obviously). As I found out last weekend, the barge is gone now.

I know what you mean about the surf fishing forums. It's easier to find someone's spots on land than on the water though!

I'm thinking about giving it another try this Sunday at newport. Might try some different tactics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dannowar
11-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Welcome. Now get out there and slay em/share your gps cords

BottomFeederPeter
11-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Baby beach is the call IMO. Shorter paddle, cement launch ramp, close to the bait barge when its in.

Munchkin661
11-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I havent Yak fish out of Newport but I have fished off the wedge and am going down there tonight into tomorrow after noon. If anyone wants to meet up and surf fish, Let me know. Is there a spot I can rent a fishing kayak close by?