PDA

View Full Version : LJ Sat, its a Hali, no a YT, no a shark, no a WSB.....

Holy Mackerel
10-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, hit up OB pier last night to check the surf, it was pumping, head high, decided to pack for La Jolla...

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_015.sized.jpg

Drove by the pier in the morning, and it actually looked launchable, but I have done that in the past and landed in some mean surf! :shock:

Got to the launch at 5:30AM, I believe Rastrev, and I were the first there, actually got a coveted Ave de Playa front row parking. Ankle high surf, and very glassy, saw a sealion chasing bait fish in about 4 ft of H20. Made our way to the pier, water was dark and glassy, slight bio luminescence. Made some nice candy bar greenies, 3 at a time. Where the heck where these baits, in July for me!! :twisted:

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_008.sized.jpg

Got to catch the sunrise at Scripps pier..... Heard Brad and brother on the radio, finally met up with them along the cliffs between Scripps Pier and Blacks...

Looked like Mad's bro was bendo! Must of been a rock bass! :lol:

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_010.sized.jpg

It was a strange day, the fog would come in and out, then the wind would blow, then stop... Caught a pic of Rastrev with the fog rolling in... The cliffs running north sort of reminded me of Colonet...

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_009.sized.jpg

Finally worked our way back, heard of slow reports on the VHF by Brad, and Adi... I was using two bounce ball rigs for MR. FLATTY, dragging them as I paddled, just about gave up, when both of my rods went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! BENDO!!!!!!!! I instinctively grab my rod on my right, at set the hook, the other rod still ZZZZZZZZ, throw it in gear, hope the circle hook does its job. The rod I grabbed is pulling #50 spectra hard. I fight this monster, thinking BIG FLATTY!! It just help deep, then hard runs... Not sure what it is, then after about 20 mins or so.....lost track of time.......Maybe a rogue YT.........I see color, a shark!! No, wait it has a cadual fin.........WSB!!!!YAH, SWEET!!!!!............It gets closer, Its a Black sea Bass, about #60ish!! I was stoked what a way to end the day. It splashes me at the surface making another run, finally snapping my fluoro. I figured just as well, rather than handle it... I hear "now there has to be a story behind that?" It was C-Level.... Good seeing you out there... Hopefully your late start paid off!

Caught this shot of the pier on the way in...

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_022.sized.jpg

On the way in saw a pod of dolphins just outside the surf, what a day! Trevor almost wipes out!!! But ends up pulling off a semi-dry landing.

http://sdkayakfishing.com/chris/albums/fishing2005/LJ_10_15_05_028.sized.jpg

TL,

Chris

lamb
10-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Great report Chris! Nice, BSB! I heard it all on the radio, didn’t realize it was you. Sweet.

We started at south LJ kelp, worked 160 – 180 ft moving North in search for dinner fish. Must have checked 5-6 of our holes, pretty slow. We picked up 2 reds and 1 nice sandie. We did the best on the far north edge of canyon, North of the pier – 7-8 descent size ocean white fish and lots of small ones. Ended up drifting for butts in front of the Crystal Pier while cleaning the fish. We only got one fat calico, he got to live.

katchfish
10-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Chris, excellent report and beautiful photographs!

I bet that Black had your heart beating. :shock:

Ken

potto
10-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks for sharing Chris.
Whatever happened to the second rod? :?:

Holy Mackerel
10-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks all! When I got the beast to color, I found out why both rods got slammed... My lines were tangled as they dragged the bottom. Luckily, I grabbed the correct fishing rod.

TL,

Chris 8)

madscientist
10-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Tough day for us. Made a couple sardines early but the dolphins kept driving the bait away from me. Tried several rockfish spots around the finger of scripps but not much happening. Weird offshore breeze picked up and brought the fog off the land, never seen that before. Drifted out witht he breeze and saw one roiled area of water, but I backlashed on the iron and by the time I got it sorted out it was gone. Weather cleared up so we started to head back over towards the kelp when I hear about Chris' BSB, so we vector back west. SW wind turns on and after a couple of rockfish attempts the wind has gotten up to 12knots or so and conditions are going to crap. Adi bailed and we joined the rest of the yak fleet heading for home. One of those tough paddles back with a quartering sea slopping over the side and the nose kicking up spray. Got outside the launch ad the wind seemed to die off a bit. My brother was still keen to catch something so we headed out to the buoy and over to the canyon edge. Start working for rockfish but at first its nothing but midgets. Finally we make a little move and get on some nice reds. Ended with 7 up to 3lb and a grumpy sand bass. Landed around 2:00 when the wind got serious again and played in the surf with the little yak for a while. Pics to follow.

PlasticSkipper
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
I took my 9yr old out around Noon Saturday at LJ. The wind had picked up, 10-20mph from the South. We went North of the pier and caught two greenbacks right away. I set my son up with one of them on a halibut rig on the bottom while I was re-rigging my other pole. I was explaining to him how to set the drag when he gets hit hard, pole bent over, I wasn't sure he was going to be able hold it. But he had the drag locked and couldn't release it. Finally the line breaks and he pulls up a frayed end. By then he was cold from the wind and splashing waves so we had to come back in, dragging the other bait back to the eco-reserve line. But he was still pumped and wants to go back soon. Made the landing ok between decent size sets. Murkey green water at 63 degrees. Didn't see any birds working. Watched many rental kayaks crashing in the surf as I was packing to leave. Dave