PDA

View Full Version : LJ 10/22 AM

madscientist
10-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice morning on the pond. Lotsa bait everywhere. Dead calm and overcast most of the morning. Then this...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09680.JPG

fish? weight? 8)

kurt
10-22-2005, 02:57 PM
upside down halibut, 27lbs

madscientist
10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
"Wynona did love that big brown beaver and she stroked him all the time" - Les Claypool

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/Picture1.jpg

PlasticSkipper
10-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Halibut 18lbs? Hope to hear more of the story. I'll be out there early tomorrow looking for something similar. Congrats! Dave

PlasticSkipper
10-22-2005, 04:16 PM
After seeing your second photo I respectfully retract my 18lb estimate!

lamb
10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Brad, right on!!! 8) Congrats!!!

That's a big head right there...

My guess on weight is - it's too big for Ken! :lol:

Razorback
10-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Way to go BUTT Slayer.........

Just loaded the truck with gear for pre dawn Sun launch. May have to re tie a rig after that post. :P

Congrats Brad - let's see the whole enchilada de pesca.

HAWG Out

kurt
10-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Revision: 150lbs!

Iceman
10-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Ha! I love the suspense!.........I am gonna say 34.9999 pounds :D

Did ya throw it up in the air, or tickle it's chin?

SHHHHHHHHWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Iceman
10-22-2005, 06:36 PM
OK I looked in your gallery and all I can say is ...............

Holy SHITE!!!
Holy SHITE!!!
Holy SHITE!!!

ski
10-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Now your talking!
WTG Brad!!!!
Looks huge.. I'll guess 41.75 lbs

What size and color sabiki did you get it on?

Iceman
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
I am gonna say.......bigger!

Dennis
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
UH, OH :!: .. Just saw the pics on bdecks... That's it!! Looks like I'll be joining the rest tomorrow. Nice going, Brad!

Razorback
10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
NICE DETECTIVE WORK ANDY

ALL I CAN SAY IS UNBELIEVABLE - THAT IS A LOT OF SWEET MEAT.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

madscientist
10-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Okay, here's the report. Launched at gray light into ankle slappers. Out towards the pier I discovered that they have put out a new buoy, much further north than I previously thought the reserve line was. Found perfect greenies a little deeper off the pier. Loaded up on a few too many and headed to the scene of Wednesday's heartbreak.

Bait all over on the way up. Start drifting with two baits down. Immediately catch a decent sized sand bass, then a decent sized sea cucumber. Then nothing. Keep working the area for another 2 hours as Todd and Randy motor out and back.

I decided to give up and go troll deeper for a rogue YT, but figured one more loop/drift was in order. Start slowly moving when I look back and realize the heavy rod is bent in half. Thought "crap, I'm hung up" and proceeded to reel down on it till I was vertical. Still thinking I'm snagged, I give a little tug, only to feel it tug back. Then it takes a little run and I know its big and flat, but still thought it might be a ray. Kept the drag loose as it shook a bit, then tightened up a little and started getting it up.

Once off the bottom it came up in short order. At leader, I couldn't see it but I backed off anyway. One little run, then I got it out from under the boat. Got real excited when I saw it was a big halibut. Two cross body gaff shots missed but the third hooked behind the gills, but not deep. Amazingly, it didn't go ballistic so I quickly reached down and grabbed it by the gills.

Re-set the gaff and saw the main hook deep with the trap treble well stuck in the lip...this gal's not going anywhere. Got two stringers through the mouth just for insurance, ripped some gills to start bleeding out, and hopped on the radio to inform Todd that I had one and thought it over thirty, maybe pushing forty.

Then it goes apeshit and almost pulls me over.

Quit chatting and pulled out the attitude adjuster. A few good louisville slugger T-bat whacks later, she's pretty mellow. Met up with Todd and Randy and they were nice enough to play photobeyatches, in exchange for lobster bait.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09675.JPG

Todd says "Lift it up more". Now I'm sure it's pushing 40.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09679.JPG

Great pics Todd, thanks again. Did the super mega happy paddle back. Had to call my friend Joe since he's been giving me all kinds of shit from the east coast now that the striped bass run is in full swing there and YT have been no-shows here. Landed in no surf, which was good with all the weight up front and the hatch ajar. On the beach with Todd and Randy, we grab my spring scale and start to lift. I see it pass 30 before I have the thing half off the yak. It hits 40 as I get it ready for the lift, and passes 45 with the tail still on the yak. With Todds digital it settled on...

48lb 3oz :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09689.JPG

Unbelievable! Ken pulled up shortly thereafter, now he knows he has his work cut out for him. :twisted: .

BTW, this was the first trip down to the shores with the new ride. Great way to break it in and get it all fishy.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09692.JPG

I am still in awe of this fish. It didn't put up much of a battle but still, wow. As I was filleting it I would spontaneously break out into bouts of "holy $hit, I can't believe this fish" like I had touret's. Got an obscene amount of meat off of her (full of roe, bummer). Anyone got any good recipes for THICK halibut fillets?

I'll be fishing for rockfish tomorrow :roll: :wink:

Razorback
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
QUOTE: I'll be fishing for rockfish tomorrow

Probably a good strategy - otherwise everyone in the entire plastic fleet will be shadowing you to the honey hole like the Delta Force on Sadaam.......... :lol:

That's one helluva catch there Mister. CONGRATS AGAIN.

Spinal Tap
10-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Brad,

Congrats. That's a monster.

How deep were you when you caught it?

If you haven't already thrown out the eggs, they're good fried. If you don't want them, I'd be happy to pick them up from you. That goes for anybody else who catches a halibut with eggs.

Nate

madscientist
10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Nate,
The eggs are with the rest of the carcass in my freezer. I tried halibut roe from the last one I caught but didn't like it much. Smelt roe, though, is delicious raw or steamed.

Drew
10-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Brad - nice goddamn fish. Holy cow that's a....cow.

katchfish
10-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Most excellent Brad!!

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that ginormous slab of California halibut hanging on the post at the launch. She was five inched thick and longer the door on your new Subaru!! :shock:

I have been fishing for that same fish in the same place for three weeks. Brad do you think she has a twin sister?

Man, I hate being in fourth place (there's no money in it). A good excuse to fish more. :twisted:

Ken

PlasticSkipper
10-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Amazing catch, my guess from seeing just the tail sticking out of your yak was 30lbs off. Holy $hit! thats a nice fish. :D You guys on this WCW thing are incredible.

Kenny
10-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Congrats on the Big butt... Great catch...Kenny

tattuna
10-23-2005, 07:54 AM
DDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY YYUUUUUUUUUMMMM!!!!!!
That's the kind of fish I dream about! Awesome job man! Helluva catch!

lamb
10-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Simply awesome. 8)

If it was anyone else, I would have said get ready to frame those pictures, as it’s the catch of a lifetime. Since it’s you…

…this crazy WCW race has just gotten some more suspense. :P

Dr. Evil
10-23-2005, 09:23 AM
WTG Brad!!! I think if I saw that thing coming out of the deep, I would have had an 'accident'. Cool that you got it on the stringer before it went ballistic. Unfreakingbelieveable fish! Congrats!!

Kiyo
10-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Congrats on the big Mama!!!!!!

Kiyo

bdkirby
10-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Congrats Brad,

That bad boy is flippin' sweeeeeet!!!

landwhale
10-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Congratulations Brad...........

I have been reading your posts and know how hard you worked for a big flattie, BOY did you score. Truly a halibut everyone dreams of. Great post I always enjoy your reports thanks.

gabe
10-23-2005, 12:03 PM
BRAD, U DA MAN!!!

WHAT A FISH!!! The first thing that came to mind was HOLY SHEEEEETT!!!

Save the jaws and glue them back together. That freaking mouth was huge. It would look nice on display

congrats

Gabe

MKNOTT
10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Good God Brad, now that puts a smile on my face.

Grego
10-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Gaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwddddd.....Daaaayyyyummmmm....SWE EEETTTTT Brad!!!! I got to get out and fish.....that's inspiring!!

I still remember that post by you about not catch'n any butts and only leopards!! and wondering what you were doing with Bonito strips....Geeze, you da man now!!!!

Grego

Blair
10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Damn nice Fish there! :shock:

Hope you got the cheek meat. on a fish that large there will be some good pieces.

scwafish
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
That is an amazing catch. Congrats!!! How do you like your Subaru?

Holy Mackerel
10-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Damn! :shock: I knew I should have listend to you about going to LJ..... Oh well, Point Loma was still a great adventure.......... Again :shock: !!!!

Nice going Brad, you sure put your time on the water, and it paid off! 8)

Chris

GBF
10-24-2005, 08:08 AM
WOW!!!.............That's a fish of a lifetime!!!

I was 15ft from John Brown when he caught his 30lbs and I thought that was a beast!!

Congrats!!!

GBF

pimikem
10-24-2005, 08:24 AM
caught a 10 lb. flattie in o'side this weekend. i was feeling pretty good think'n i'm the man :D , then i saw your fish mr. madscientest :shock: . i'm the boy, you da mann!!!

Hook 1
10-24-2005, 03:23 PM
That's just BAD A$$
Did you weigh it with the hinges on or off ?
Great fish Brad.

twinfin
10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
That's hot :!:

Aaron&Julie
10-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Awesome, truly awesome!
That fish is sure to make your East coast striped bass fisher-friends envious. It do us :lol: .

Dr. Evil
10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Malibu Kayaks has a sweet pic for their forum!

http://1.myfreebulletinboard.com/malibukayaks.html

Corey
10-29-2005, 10:17 AM
I know this is late, but I just got back from baja. NICE FREAKIN' DOORMAT BRAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!

WTG,

corey