PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for some help

Minami
06-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Good afternoon,
I have been trolling around this forum for a few weeks now trying to soaking up as much information as possible. I’m looking to get into this style of fishing and I was wondering what would be the best and cost effective tandem kayak. So far I have been looking into the Malibu Pro 2 tandem and Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak. Any other suggestions?

A little about me, I live in Ventura County and I have been fishing since I was a kid, average fisherman who loves the sport. I have limited kayaking experience (rookie), but eager to learn. I decided to get into this style of fishing because I hate shelling out hard earned money to stand shoulder to shoulder while getting my line tangled up on ocean charters. I have chosen to get a tandem because my better half may occasionally want to go fishing and/or kayaking.
I will take any suggestions information on equipment, progressions, techniques and launching and fishing areas.
Thanks,
Jimi

dsutter775
06-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Good afternoon,
I have been trolling around this forum for a few weeks now trying to soaking up as much information as possible. I’m looking to get into this style of fishing and I was wondering what would be the best and cost effective tandem kayak. So far I have been looking into the Malibu Pro 2 tandem and Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak. Any other suggestions?

A little about me, I live in Ventura County and I have been fishing since I was a kid, average fisherman who loves the sport. I have limited kayaking experience (rookie), but eager to learn. I decided to get into this style of fishing because I hate shelling out hard earned money to stand shoulder to shoulder while getting my line tangled up on ocean charters. I have chosen to get a tandem because my better half may occasionally want to go fishing and/or kayaking.
I will take any suggestions information on equipment, progressions, techniques and launching and fishing areas.
Thanks,
Jimi

I have a buddy selling a nice Malibu tandem. Think he said he wanted 500 or 550. PM me if you want me to get you his contact info. He lives in san diego...

dsutter775
06-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Word of advice though, if your partner isnt going to be with you every trip, paddling the tandem by yourself wont be fun...

yak-fishing-socal
06-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Depends on the tandem if it has the option to put a seat in the middle for solo paddling

Amish Ed
06-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Between those 2 I'd go with the Malibu II XL. It will comfortably fish as a single. I don't think the Pro 2 has the center seat option like the OK boat does. Paddling solo in that would suck. Better would be to get yourself 2 singles. If she's only going to be going occasionally, you don't even have to get them at the same time.

Sir LJ
06-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Between those 2 I'd go with the Malibu II XL. It will comfortably fish as a single. I don't think the Pro 2 has the center seat option like the OK boat does. Paddling solo in that would suck. Better would be to get yourself 2 singles. If she's only going to be going occasionally, you don't even have to get them at the same time.

i had a pro 2 that had the center seat option

Amish Ed
06-07-2015, 03:32 AM
i had a pro 2 that had the center seat option

Does it have a molded in seat, or are you sitting on the hatch?

Minami
06-07-2015, 09:35 AM

I will not be able to get 2 kayaks because she will not go out solo. Plus, I don't have room to store 2 kayaks. Does the Malibu II XL have a center molded seat?

Saba Slayer
06-07-2015, 09:53 AM
The Ocean Kayak Malibu II XL is a great yak...I still have one in my fleet.
It has a molded seat in the center area to paddle solo (no sitting on a flat hatch) ... it's a barge, but like all OK products, it paddles well. A great stable platform to hoopnet from.

Richard Yan
06-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I have a hobie tandem island, it's fun! I can go solo or can have someone else on board, because the Mirage, it works great for both! I am planing to put a motor on it too, just don't really know if I should put 6hp instead 2.5 yet😎 because I see a lot YouTube are putting 2.3 Honda on it. Good luck for your new kayak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk