PDA

View Full Version : Greeting

ProFishProductions
09-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Hello everyone ProFishProductions here! Just wanted to say hello to everyone! Im looking to get a kayak soon and I saw the check list but was wondering if the radio was necessary? Also what are your thoughts on the Hobie Outback vs a PA 14 and what is a good price for them used? Thank You and nice meeting you all! (:
-PFP

HobieScot
09-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Yes a radio is a necessity!

The way I look at it now (thanks to some advice from ppl here on BWE) is my life is worth the $100 it costs for the VHF. Now if you never plan to leave the harbor than it isn't as important. But even if you don't plan to ever leave the harbor right now....
You will want to eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris138
09-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Id say fishing la jolla kelp you don't need a radio. Cell phone will be much more effective at making an emergency call. At best your 6w handheld may have an effective range of 5 nm, line of sight. Cell phone will give you service up to 10 nm out and doesn't require LOS. Also, you must know the correct protocol for hailing emergency response and be able to correctly communicate your GPS coordinates to the coast guard or lifeguard. A nice VHF will digitally transmit your coordinates...

That being said i have the standard horizon HX870 which has GPS, nav, and DSC. Its a very nice 6w handheld, but still its only good for 5 miles tops. You can hear the CG on ch 16, but they cant hear you...

jorluivil
09-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I've had both kayaks, I started with the Outback and upgraded to the PA14. The outback is great kayak but you cannot compare it to the PA. Yes, the 14 is heavier than the outback but no its not slower. Yes, the 14 cost a gazillion dollars but the platform is second to none.

JohnMckroidJr
09-17-2015, 08:21 PM
I've had both kayaks, I started with the Outback and upgraded to the PA14. The outback is great kayak but you cannot compare it to the PA. Yes, the 14 is heavier than the outback but no its not slower. Yes, the 14 cost a gazillion dollars but the platform is second to none.

Never had the outback, but have test drived them both, and was surprised to find that I could not get more speed out of the outback over the PA when both are light. Love my PA14, it does get slower when loaded up with more gear than an outback, but it is worth it.

Dave Legacy
09-17-2015, 09:10 PM
I recently purchased my first kayak and I have left sheltered water yet, because I don't have a VHF radio. Just seems like a smart thing to have; cell phone might not work out too well if you end up in the drink!