PDA

View Full Version : Lake Murray Large Mouth?

HobieOneCanoebe
07-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Anybody have some pointers on fishing lake Murray SD? I have a ff on my kayak but it's a big lake and I'm new to Large Mouth Bass fishing, well new to fresh water in general my buddy just lives right across the street from the lake so why not I've seen some biggins in the reeds but can't get a bite I'm using a 10" green pumpkin ribbon tail worm Texas rigged with one of those waited hooks.

taggermike
07-04-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm not much of a bass guy so my advice may be second rate. I see lots of big bass in Murray that I can't catch. Pretty much the only consistant bite for me is small fish on the drop shot. I've tried about every thing I can think of buy the d-shot just works best. Mike

HobieOneCanoebe
07-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks Mike haven't tryed that yet are you using the shiners they sell?

Methman
07-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Drop shot on a Senko. I have good luck on pumpkin 4" Senkos.

HobieOneCanoebe
07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
cool maybe my worms were too big are you throwing them into the reeds and cover or middle of the lake?

outlawangler
07-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Flipping a senko in the tules is one option but that is tougher from a yak, the other is to fish a little deeper water off the points as fish will hold there as well. Depending on where the fish are staging, either a jerk bait, Texas Rig or Drop Shot. For color, I typically use Margarita Mutilator or MM 3 from Roboworm, though my larger two fish (11 and 13) out of Murray have come from Morning Dawn, 8" both Drop Shot in 12 - 16 feet of water post spawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HobieOneCanoebe
07-07-2016, 04:42 PM
thank you!

HobieOneCanoebe
07-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Heading out tonight hopefully i get something to report!

taggermike
07-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Ive never used shiners there. I'm sure they'd get bit well. Under a slip float, fly lined, it d-shotted.

Pinhead
07-21-2016, 04:10 PM
+1 for downsizing your baits.

I have used 10" worms in the past, but never seemed to catch anything. I received a good piece of advice for plastics, which I still follow today.

Keep downsizing and slow your retrieve down....until they finally bite it.

I fish 10lb or 8lb green Izor line, with 2-3" Reapers, up to 5" Flukes and Senko's on an 18" leader, tied with a high quality, small bearing swivel which adds just enough weight to help the bait slowly sink. Seems to work great.

Good luck!