PDA

View Full Version : New kayak paddle really worth it?

InfidelYak
09-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Anyone have a specific paddle they recommend? Did it really make a difference? I've only had one paddle and it's the one I currently use i just don't see a paddle being light enough to actually make a difference or not. So if you have experience in changing and upgrading your paddles, please share. Thanks!:paddleersmilie:

InfidelYak
09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Btw im currently fishing from a Jackson Cuda 14, so my buddies are doing circles around me in their Hobies lol

FISH11
09-07-2016, 07:55 PM
A light weight carbon fiber shaft with fiberglass blades, makes big difference after hours of paddling. If your friends on Hobies are easily beating you, it's not the kayak they use, but that you need to put in more time on the water to get your arms, shoulders and back in better shape. Then you won't have much problem staying with them and even beating some of them.

MrPatrick
09-07-2016, 09:24 PM
By all means, go light. It makes a world of difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jorluivil
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
I've fished off of Hobie kayaks for several years now so a high quality paddle isn't as important but when I had a paddle kayak I noticed a huge difference between a bargain box paddle and a carbon fiber paddle. If/when you decide to upgrade I'm almost certain that you will also notice a huge difference.

King Saba
09-07-2016, 11:23 PM
What everyone else said. Try getting the lightest paddle you can afford. If you're thinking that a couple of ounces won't make a big difference in how long you can paddle you will be sorely mistaken.

InfidelYak
09-08-2016, 08:01 AM
What everyone else said. Try getting the lightest paddle you can afford. If you're thinking that a couple of ounces won't make a big difference in how long you can paddle you will be sorely mistaken.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking lol thanks for the advice gentleman, I'll definitley start looking into a lighter padde 👍

taggermike
09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
I look at paddle yakking as being similar to distance running in some ways. After the first miles you may not appreciate a light high quality pair of shoes. But after miles and hours you definitely will. Same with paddles. It can take a long paddling session to show the superiority of a light CF paddle.
It's hard to describe well, but super light and stiff CF paddle have certain "feel" that you don't get with other paddles. Im using a Werner bent shaft CF paddle and is great. Mike

bwana
09-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Over 10 years ago, after a long day on the water I hear water sloshing around inside my paddle shaft.

Purchased a Werner Kalliste the next day. What a difference a quality paddle makes.

radastaff
09-08-2016, 03:18 PM
been using the same BB bent shaft since I started
was waiting for it to break before I get a new one
but might make the plunge sooner

don't think its gonna ever break
and it weights a ton

P

alanw
09-08-2016, 03:58 PM
I upgraded from a basic Crack of Dawn paddle to a carbon fiber one and it just felt so much better. I don't think I gained any speed, but the comfort level went way up. I'd recommend upgrading if you paddle any more than a mile or two.

Dave Legacy
09-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I have a Werner Skagit which is a CF overlay straight shaft and plastic blades. It's not all that heavy, I never feel worn out from using it, BUT I swear that I can feel the flex in the blades when I dig in and to me that's a loss in efficiency and effectiveness.

Do fiberglass blades also flex during paddling?

YakDout
09-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Does grizzly adams have a beard.

King Saba
09-08-2016, 08:21 PM
I have a Werner Skagit which is a CF overlay straight shaft and plastic blades. It's not all that heavy, I never feel worn out from using it, BUT I swear that I can feel the flex in the blades when I dig in and to me that's a loss in efficiency and effectiveness.

Do fiberglass blades also flex during paddling?

I didn't notice any flexing when I used to paddle with my Werner Camano. The stiff blades on it gave out a lot of power with each stroke.

TJones
09-09-2016, 08:26 AM
a good high end paddle made for a performance kayak? i currently own a werner straight shaft full carbon correyvreckan that i have had for probably more than 3 years , maybe pushing 4. shortly after i got into kayaking, i brought in my original hobie paddle and matched it up with something similar at the local OEX shop. :D:D. . the blade on this paddle is huge and is not suited for paddling full time, unless you have a fitness build of an endurance paddler. this is probably the perfect paddle for hobie peddle kayaks where only quick spurts of speed are needed such as when launching or landing. since relying on the original hobie paddles in emergency situations is not ideal , that lead me to buying this paddle. anyway, i was looking at some performance paddle kayaks for fishing my local waters like "BU" that have other than ideal surf conditions where hobie kayaks are not the best suited. so what is a good performance high end paddle ? i was looking at the cyprus hooked. any feedback would be appreciated. needless to say bending branches is a company that has been around for a long time , so this is a high possibility. also to add, i am definitely ready to spend the extra money to get the lightest paddle possible and believe that this will bring on fatigue not as quickly, especially in other than ideal paddling situations.

HobieOneCanoebe
09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
I have the the werner bent shaft carbon paddle it's a necessity I would go with anything werner

HobieOneCanoebe
09-09-2016, 11:19 AM
TJones my Hobie quest 11 handles great in big surf if you want a cheaper performance yak I've ridden 6ft+ surf on it