PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!!!

Pat
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Launched early and headed to NW. About 8am I hooked a fish on the iron near the surface. It nearly spooled me straight west and headed right for the Dolphin. As I got closer to the Dolphin, I started to slack off and hope the fish would change direction. Unfortunately the fish appeared to swim under the boat and made a right turn. Instantly, about 10 guys on the starboard side of the Dolphin went bendo and their lines all followed my fish.

By now I am within feet of the Dolphin and the skipper is screaming at me telling me that he is going to cut the line if I don't cut it myself. Now I have lines all around me and was worried about a passenger trying to snag me. So I get me knife out and quickly paddle along the side of the boat and cut everyone off that seems to be snagged with me.

The fish continues to tow me out to sea and away from the Dolphin. I can hear heavy iron splashing all around me as I get about 50 yds away from the boat. They are laughing and cheering and offering up the jackpot for whoever could snag me.

Luckily the passengers were not accurate casters as my fish changed direction again and went deep. After pulling on some stringers, I got the fish to color and couldn't believe my eyes. When I sank the gaff in the gill area, I had a difficult time getting the fish in the boat.

The fish was incredibly fat and the pic doesn't do the fish justice compared to my size. On the beach, the fish pegged my 50# scale, so I had to take it down to fisherman's to weigh. It weighed 54.6# and was 57 inches long. 8)

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/528/medium/Pat_YT_April1.jpg

Go get 'em,
Pat

vellocity
04-01-2005, 10:24 AM
holy shit PAT!!!

you are my idol!!

i gave up at 830.. i was cooking and could not take the heat anymore..

WOW is not enough for a subject line!!!

congrats!!!
you're my new screensaver!!
sorry Arne, your 42# whale of a YT just got replaced by Pat's mug!!

damn it!!!!!!!

madscientist
04-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I should mark down this date and make sure I go out the same time next year. Must be a great day to catch fish from all the reports. 8)

Jim Sammons LJKF
04-01-2005, 10:43 AM
WOW, a far cry from yesterday.
Then again it is April fools day :?: :?: :?: :?:

tattuna
04-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Damn!! 54lbs. is HUGE! Anyone know what the biggest yellow from a kayak is? I have'nt been able to yak for 3 weeks because of a torn trapezius muscle, but I can't wait to get down there and fish with you guys. Good job man! VERY impressive!

Tim
04-01-2005, 11:37 AM
The fish was incredibly fat and the pic doesn't do the fish justice compared to my size.

Very very nice fish Pat...congrats!!! Let me just make one correction to what you wrote and that is: Compared to the fish's size, it doesn't do you justice. That YT is HUGE and makes you look a lot smaller than you are.

Unbelievable!...

Dennis
04-01-2005, 11:41 AM
WHAT THE??? Nice going Pat..

MKNOTT
04-01-2005, 11:47 AM
:twisted: Forget the fish, well not really. That took balls to stand up and cut those lines bro. That is true angler stepping up to the plate and getting your fish. Dont let anyone give you any crap for doing it. Vry impressive. MKNOTT :twisted:

Spinal Tap
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Pat,

Wow is right. Congrats. Did you paddle back to the Dolphin so all those knuckleheads got a glimpse of your fish?

Nate

aguachico
04-01-2005, 11:59 AM
F888888 right Pat. The Dolphin capt must be on drugs. Sometimes he helps, sometimes he's an ass.

You should meet him at the dock. Standing your big ass in front of him and see how much lip he has then huh.

Congrats on the fish. You can stop fishing for a few months now. Take Arne and Ice on a long vacation!!!

gabe
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Dang Pat, THAT THING IS HUGE!!! Hopefully you got some other pictures to do the fish justice and let us enjoy looking at them. That is a monster. Nice fish again.

The guys on the boat, that is just messed up. good thing you got your fish

gabe

Iceman
04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow! What a story! That is unbelievable.

Nice one Pat!

cajunman
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
very nice fish PAt,,

congratulations
rich
8)

katchfish
04-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought I felt the sea level drop a couple of inches around 8:30!

Now I know why.

That's a biggin and great play by play to go with it. :wink:

Very nice Pat.

Ken

yakyak
04-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't make my mind up if this is an April Fools prank or not. If it is real, I am green, green, green with envy. If not, great story! The thing that tells me it might be a prank is that the size it too good to be true, and the story is even better. Also, the water is calm, and today, at least this am, I think it was very windy. Finally, I think it was nelz who said he gave up due to the heat. Doesn't sound like him, never heard of him calling it quits. On the other hand it seems you have done very well lately and I wouldn't put it past you to catch the fish, plus the lighting angles seem to match up. So either way good job.

madscientist
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Ken,
I'm surprised you didn't report that 80lb WSB you got today. I emailed a friend back east about the 200lb thresher I caught today after navigating the 6ft surf and he was begging me for pictures, quite sincerely. Then I offered to sell him some land in Florida.

Pat,
Thanks a lot. You probably just ensured another mob scene of pbers this weekend looking for the La Jolla giants. A pic of a fish like that makes people go all mushy upstairs.

surfkast
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hmm, looks a little calm for today. I'm calling April Fools on this one.

Jim Sammons LJKF
04-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Hmm, looks a little calm for today. I'm calling April Fools on this one.
And how come none of the kayakers in the background have stepped and said they saw it.
Awesome fish if you did get it, great story if you didn't :?

MKNOTT
04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
:evil: :? :oops: You got me, no reflection of fish. You cant fool king of photo shop Toby, he caught it for me.MKNOTT

swinginFish
04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Pat,

Somethin' smells fishy ....

Avery

BoneFisher
04-01-2005, 03:22 PM

aguachico
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm so gulible. :shock:

This has ANDY written all over it. DAMN. I must admit I was feeling even worse when I decided to be an old lazy bastard this morning and not load up my stuff and fish.

Now. I just felling stupid.

Good one Andy and Pat.

Can we cuss on this forum?

Iceman
04-01-2005, 03:38 PM
I hear there have already been bids on making this into a movie.

skiffman
04-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I put the skiff in the water at 08:00 and I don't recall seeing the Dolphin anywhere nearby. Hm. Pat you're toying with my sons emotions here. Jason says B.S. :D Kelvin

Tim
04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Good day for "suckers"! I heard they were foaming all around Pat today, which resulted in multiple hookups! Nicely done!!!

How many points is a "sucker" worth on WCW?

vellocity
04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
i bit BIG time..
i called KatchFish and told him about it!! i told him he was by the Dolphin.. Ken said "Dolphin? where?" when i left at 830am i saw the Dolphin or New Seaforth 4 miles out rockfishing!!!!! i was trying to figure it out in my head the whole logistics of it all? i bet Ken's head was spinning cause he was still out on the water looking around..

and to be honest i was extremely excited for Pat or anyone to catch a monster that big!
and i was probably the ONLY guy that was stoked for Pat too! probably cause i'm not in your WCW tourney..

bastards!!!

well i hope the report is TRUE cause i'd like to keep dreaming of a 50# YT in La Jolla!!
BUT it's not.. now that i look at the photo, there were NO CLOUDS in the sky at ALL when i left.. i was getting sunburnt at 6am..

you guys kill me!
if anyone wants to see big YT's the Shogun is coming home on Sunday morning with limits of YT.. all in the 30# plus range with many in the 50-65# range!!!! i'm meeting ConejoMike as he was ON the TRIP and i hope he caught the jackpot YT!!!! i'm excited to see a 65# YT..

oh shoots, i forgot to add i was just at Fisherman's Landing booking my dad and myself on the Shogun for May's 8 day.. so of course i asked the guy if they saw the big YT caught by the kayaker today? i was so proud of La Jolla and the fact a kayaker caught it too.. the guy looked at me and said "oh, did he weigh it here, when did he come by"

Andy i know it was you and your photoshop antics!!! you know i am also versed in photoshop and illustrator but i'll have to wait 364 days for revenge!

Arne, you're back on my screensaver.. your whale of a YT sitting on your lap is what i look at everyday before i pray to the fish gods...

Nelz

hubz
04-01-2005, 04:31 PM
What's the big deal? If you read Pat's initial post, he says it was all a dream...

You guys have to stop skipping ahead to the pictures. :lol: :lol:

Iceman
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Nelz, this was all Pat's. I was trying to think of something good yesterday. I was working on turning a bonito pic into a football YFT and playing it up like look at this weird looking boney, but I never quite got the pic right. I had settled on this pic, which I took down from this thread as I figured it would slow down the momentum of Pat's incredibly EVIL post. I bow to the master. :twisted: I did think to give Pat some payback and claim to have notified the Coastguard and Islandia and they were going to investigate, but let it slide.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/photopost/data/500/4-1thresher2.jpg

lamb
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Pat, hilarious!

:lol:

Tim
04-01-2005, 04:43 PM
The image looks hubz-esque. :? I have got a feeling this might have some hubz stench on it. :twisted: What do you say mark?

hubz
04-01-2005, 05:09 PM
The image looks hubz-esque. :? I have got a feeling this might have some hubz stench on it. :twisted: What do you say mark?
Don't know what you are talking about. This is about the best that I can do in Photoshop:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/photopost/data/500/tims_best_calico.jpg

Mark

katchfish
04-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Andy, are your rods still for sale on Ebay? :twisted:

A slight off shore breeze and yesterdays news had some questioning the launch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/katchfish/2005-04-01LJ005rz.jpg

There were no clouds out there today, crystal clear and beautiful, chamber of commerce weather as my old neighbor Ernie used to say. It felt like summer out there.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/katchfish/2005-04-01LJ006rz.jpg

Bait hard to find, the fishing was slow.

Then I got the call from Nelz, the news kind of woke my up.

I remember seeing the half day boats way out in rockfishville, however never inside. I was at the three mile N/W corner and one could have slipped by.

When Nelz called I was doing a drift by the "53" spot on my GPS, right where Lamb, Slayrider and Lit-One all caught hali's with in a stones throw of each other in a ten minute span back in January (Epic).

Pat's spot is not far from there.

Had a Spanish on the bottom and was firing the iron non-stop, all for naught.

Perpetuated the hoax on shore to couple of Ex drivers from Long Beach. :wink:

Good one Pat, it will take some time for most of us to get that big ol' siwash out of jaw bones. :oops:

Still loved the story and was hoping that you some how managed to sink the Dolphin, with her A-hole Capitan still on board. :twisted:

Ken

DESTROYER
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
The funny part of this picture was that I took it about 2 months ago. Nice try Pat. I about shit myself at work when Jim called and told me. Good April fools dude.

TL-Matt

Spinal Tap
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Those irons flying at you may not be from the Dolphin.

Funny thing is, I was out there this morning, but I usually have my face in the water so I don't see much of the above the surface action.

The water in your picture was just as pukey green as it was today.

Nate

vellocity
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
to end the April Fool's hoax with the TRUTH..

here's ConejoMan, this time fishing off a BIGGER boat, the SHOGUN....
that's your fellow kayaker Mike on the right with an April Fool's YT!
http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290014.JPG

here's more
http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290027.JPG

http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290025.JPG

GEEEEEEZUS..

Pat
04-01-2005, 07:21 PM
glad everyone enjoyed it.

Nelz, just treat it as a belated birthday present.

hopefully the real one is caught manana.

pat

P.S. I'll be wearing my armored suit tomorrow.

Tim
04-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Very nice pic Mark!!!...Can't believe you pulled that one out. Didn't I pay you to burn that?

Awesome story Pat...it definetly made it a April fools to be remembered! You certainly hooked 185 pounds of sucker here! :) See you two on the water.

Lit-up1
04-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Pat,

If the fish don't fit - you must not submit.

The late Johnny Cochran :x

hubz
04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Very nice pic Mark!!!...Can't believe you pulled that one out. Didn't I pay you to burn that?

Oh, I burned it... onto a CD for safe keeping. :lol:

cajunman
04-02-2005, 05:50 AM
WEll it obvious now that this post is on the wrong board,,

It will defintely take the title for

WCW for 2005

ragin(and still laughin) cajun

8)

crazed4fishin
04-02-2005, 09:11 PM
to end the April Fool's hoax with the TRUTH..

here's ConejoMan, this time fishing off a BIGGER boat, the SHOGUN....
that's your fellow kayaker Mike on the right with an April Fool's YT!
http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290014.JPG

here's more
http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290027.JPG

http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/news/images/2005images/20050401-P3290025.JPG

GEEEEEEZUS..

where were those taken from!

madscientist
04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey Nelz,
I can't believe you fell for Pat's trick. It was your post with the teaser subject on Jim's board that reminded me of the date, then when I saw Pat's post I was already alert for a gag. You're subsequent insistence that it was real almost made me doubt, but as someone else mentioned the clouds in the pic didn't match the sky I saw out my window, and the whole Dolphin storyline was just a little over the top. Still, I salute Pat for an extremely well executed prank.

hubz
12-01-2005, 06:44 AM
[most of fake story deleted...]

The fish was incredibly fat and the pic doesn't do the fish justice compared to my size. On the beach, the fish pegged my 50# scale, so I had to take it down to fisherman's to weigh. It weighed 54.6# and was 57 inches long. 8)

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/528/medium/Pat_YT_April1.jpg

Go get 'em,
Pat

Pat, You're going to have to make up bigger numbers next April 1. Your 54.6# fish doesn't sound so far-fetched anymore...

Hubz

Iceman
04-01-2006, 08:08 AM
REPRISE :D

I moved Pat's admission to it being a hoax to the bottom of his post :twisted: :D

bluesquids
04-01-2006, 09:35 AM
CLASSIC.... Even had me going again for the first paragraph.

BWE Moderator
04-01-2007, 06:47 PM
reprise.......again, it has become a tradition :luxhello:

tattuna
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
That was the best damn April fools post ever!

aguachico
04-02-2007, 05:43 AM
I saw Pat yesterday. This was funnt shit last year.

Handymansd
04-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I saw Pat when he hooked up with this monster, but he was down by IB! There must be droves of huge YT there!! That is the hot spot, and the place to be you want to catch YT!!:D

Matt
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Me thinks I have seen this story before on a similar date?????lol

TomTurtle
04-02-2007, 01:41 PM
fucker.

:you_rock:

tylerdurden
04-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Bump :luxhello:

bearlythere
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
That post has legs....seems to work everytime its posted every couple of years....I think every ones justs wants to invision the cutting of the lines and making off with the big fish so bad. Good job...love watching the bites:cheers1:

Dane101
04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
If you cut the lines on the Dolphin i'm sure he'd get out the shotgun & fill full of lead.Good story though mate.lol

steveooo
04-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Bump.
Really an awesome fish!
:you_rock:

steveooo
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Bump Again?

steveooo
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
:jig:

Check out Pat's article about fishing the iron!

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/page?template=kayak-fishing-iron

alfsteur
04-01-2014, 02:18 PM
LOL.... i'd like to add that Loch Ness has recently been sighted near LJ kelp beds as well....

todd one
04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Did you take the picture down? I can't see it.

dos ballenas
04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
:you_rock:Pat!

And Stevvvvooooooo :D

Pat
04-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Good one Steveooo, blast from the past.

As someone said, this story is not so far fetched with the size of the yellows the last few years.

Back then a 30lb fish was considered huge and only Iceman caught them... :cheers1:

lamb
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
:D

Geee, this thread is coming up on 10 year anniversary...

Feeeling ooooold!!!!!

h2ofishfo
04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Wow wierd seeing post from guys from the past people change but the addiction never does !!!

William Novotny
04-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have the original pic that was attached to this report? I'd like to see it. It just shows a small blank box on my screen

Bert Vega
04-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have the original pic that was starched to this report? I'd like to see it. It just shows a small blank box on my screen

X 1,000,000 to that!!!!

dos ballenas
05-15-2015, 09:37 PM
:jig: