PDA

View Full Version : Beer Bellys

yani
02-28-2008, 10:46 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">It started with one phone call on Monday, President’s Day. Greenjeans just got back from LJ and claimed he saw lots of Yellows being caught.Although none came his way. He suggested I might give it a try.As a back up, I emailed Adi with lots of questions.Adi’s reply: “We have Yellows year-roundat La Jolla.” What did I expect from Adi?<O:p</O:pHell’s bells, I decided to give it a try on Tuesday. The super high tide prevented a beach launch. And a couple of foot-pumpingdingy-inflatable fisherman with a small trollingmotor made for entertainment while attemptinga surf launch. I laughed my ass off, until I sawthem bring a huge WSB. Then I cried my ass off.http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_squid_bait.jpg<O:p</O:pMuch to everyone’s surprise, a WSB bite brokewide open around 8am and lasted an hour. If you had live squid, you were in there, otherwiseyou just got in the way. <O:p</O:pI was given a couple of squid by Owen, then quickly proceeded to farm my only hook-upof the day. I must have seen at least 10 WSBthat day that were over 40lbs.<O:p</O:pTuesday nite, I get a phone call from San Deigo.It’s my old friend Adi. He wants to know what’sreally going on at LJ. Hey Adi, there’s WSBat LJ all year round. <O:p</O:pOn Wednesday, I met Greenjeans and both of us were hoping I wasn’t having a LSD flashbackon Tuesday. And, that there really was a WSBbite going on. As far as the live squids go,I brought a 6-pac of Heinekens for some horse-trading in case I couldn’t find any squids.Lucky for me Greensjeans found a boaterwho was giving squids away. So we wereloaded and ready to go. On Wednesday, thebite started at 9am, and lasted an hour.<O:p</O:pFirst Greenjeans got hooked up with a 55lb WSB,then Dave Easton with his two. I start paddling over to their spotand notice Pat Esdees with a look of despair on hisface. “Need any squid?” I asked. Pat came running.<O:p5 minutes later, Pat’s on within the same area. He pullsup a monster WSB. Finally it’s my turn. I’ve got a niceyellow. I bring it to gaff, took a swing and althoughI missed the fish, I broke my line. My yellow is freeswimming near my yak. And by the grace of GodAlmighty, I get one more swing and it’s a hit.<O:pRight after that, two guys in a small boat simultaneouslyhook up with WSB. After they landed their fish, they callme over and show me their earlier catch. A 43lb halibut.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/2/Squid_08_Dave_s_01.jpg

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/2/Squid_08_Pat.jpg</O:p<O:p</O:phttp://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_three_big_fish.jpg<O:p<O:p> http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Yellow_Squid_08.jpg</O:p>What a day. I was like being in the middle of a DiscoveryChannel documentary. Three days later my mom is cooking upfish soup with some Yellowtail I had givenher. She calls me at work to tell me she found a hookwith a short little nylon string connected to it in the Yellowtail’s mouth. I told her to keep it, but ifshe found a Heineken in its belly, well, that was mine. <O:p</O:pWhile she enjoyed Yellowtail soup, I took the bellymeat, diced it, boiled it and turned it into a TunaSalad Sandwich. Mmmm Yummy.http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_prep_for_yellow_sandwich.jpg<O:phttp://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Squid_Winter_08_006.jpgPS. If the formatting is all screwed up, it's Adi fault.Yani

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

steveooo
02-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Great post:cheers1: Yani!!!

dorf
02-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the post.
That really makes my mouth water.

esdees
02-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks again for the squid, Yani.

T-Rex
02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Great report Yani! The end result :yt: looks tasty.

Handymansd
02-29-2008, 02:47 PM
OK Yani, I have decided that when... uh... If I catch a fish I am going to have to call in the squid favor, with having you help me prepare my catch! That looks SO good!:eating: Great Post!

Oolie
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
NOM! sandwich.

lamb
03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Great story! :cheers1:

A report gets a gold medal for mis-formatting the post!!! I swear, I've never seen a more screwed up formatting in a single post. It took me a while to clean it up.

Some valuable lessons to learn from Yani's post:

do not use pictures that are 2000pix + wide or so... It's going to make your post so wide that 99% of people will have to scroll left & right... people that have smaller resolution monitors... Resize your pictures down to no more than 800pix wide...
do not write your report in Word or other fancy text editor and then copy and paste directly in to the message board. The board will attempt to take all the fancy formatting, and not being so powerful as Word, you will end up with some unpredictable formatting result. If you really want to use Word to make sure your spelling is cool, before you past it to the board, paste the text first in simple text editor such as Notepad. That will get rid of the fancy formatting.
Avoid having Yani take your pictures with a big catch on the water unless you don't mind looking at them all over the Internet when the Greek finds time to put the report together. Yeah he seems to have a better camera now, but after all these years, he still didn't seem to learn that other people's story is just that - other people's story. :)

Dan W.
03-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Fantastic story and I love how you always include pics of the final product! Looks delicious

dos ballenas
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Yani,
Nice meeting you out there... too bad about tuesday... I fished monday and got skunked, no squid: no bites... tuesday on the other hand, well, you know why I was paddling in early::yt: :yt: ...glad you got one yani... I shoulda tried for a wsb but I had that sinking sensation!
peace and pescado,
Owyn

yani
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Thanks for all your help Adi!

I can't remember if I posted of
picture of you with a WSB...

Where's is that picture?? :eek:

I'll be fishing tomorrow am,
how about you, fishing or wishing?

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

lamb
03-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm wishin club these days.

Is OK. Won't be forever. :cool:

Wishin' you and all muho luck.

I heard it was WFO today... :D

My crystal ball said it'll stay like that manjana.

lamb
03-02-2008, 08:18 AM
...NOT

PerryC
03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Yani,
Beer? Where's the Ouzo and Fresca to celebrate :cheers:

Perry