PDA

View Full Version : A FEBRUARY TO REMEMBER....

THE DARKHORSE
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Unless you are lucky enough to be around the week or so the squid spawn, February is usually on the slow side.I'll remember this month as the best February in history. I was lucky to have a few squid latch onto my iron just after a fresh rain. I say lucky because I didn't have my sonar on and the large group of anglers had drifted off the grounds with the help of stiff offshore winds. I kept my excitement to a minimum to not alert the herd. I paddled over to one lucky angler and whispered to come with me. We made a short move, quietly made a few more pieces, and prepared to do a quick exchange for the "right-kind". It wasn't long before my partner in crime was flying past me and my anticipation grew to a feverish pitch. Just about the time his fish found the gaff my squid got slammed. Shortly there after I had my largest Yellowtail of the winter in my lap. I put another bait down and was hit again in no time. The fish was strong, a little too strong to be a Yellowtail. The mystery was over ten minutes later with a big Black Seabass that was easily revived. The next morning would prove to be a good day as plenty of anglers enjoyed the happy-paddle in with Yellowtail in their lap. I was fortunate to have caught a #34 10 oz Yellowtail and a #33 6 oz Yellowtail my first two days of the bite. I was satisfied with the two strong submissions for WCW and was prepared to release everything under #33 or 44".
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/Slam_fish_34_10_oz.jpg
I've only fished La Jolla for eleven-years, but I have friends that have fished here for fifty. Those that were the lucky few to witness the "White Seabass Show" will agree that this was the best White Seabass bite ever. I've been in the middle of quite a few wide-open bites, but nothing like this. La Jolla isn't Catalina and our idea of a wide-open White Seabass bite is six fish caught for thirty anglers. The two main days of the "ghost-bite" were absolutely ridiculous. You would of been hard pressed to get a squid through that school without a big fish nailing your bait. The crowd was fairly light the first day of this bite and nearly everyone had a chance at a trophy ghost. Satisfied with my two ghosts and a couple of released #30 class Yellowtail everyone including myself went in. My big fish of the day was a #46 12 oz ghost.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/200802180005_1_.JPG
I can't help but wonder what would of happened if more people stayed out. I say this because of my experience the next day. The entire fleet was on the grounds and prepared to do battle. I had gotten a late start and was relieved when the bite started a little later than usual around 9:00. I had an opportunity to release a couple of Yellowtail over 40" (good practice). I was annoyed by all of the bi-catch (Calico's, Sandie's, Sheepshead, giant red rock cod, Yellowtail). I re-tied my flouro leader at least eight times anticipating the trophy-ghost. My biggest blessing came when I was testing my knot-strength and my #100 swivel snapped in two pieces. I was stoked this didn't happen at the wrong time. I re-tied my spectra knot and borrowed more bait. Most everyone was leaving by now. It was around 10:30 and most thought it was over. The wind was howling and it was a challenge to stay in one place (constant paddling). I was determined and remember telling one angler that "you couldn't pay me to leave". My next bite was the one I had been looking for. A deceiving fight that had me thinking big-Yellowtail all the way to the gaff. Multiple big runs and planted to the bottom for a while. I was relieved when I saw my large hook buried in the corner of a trophy-ghost. This is when it got a little crazy. For the next couple of hours every direction I looked and as far as I could see there were multiple anglers per boat with bent rods. I mean quads and doubles of straight White Seabass on every drift. I was a little tired by now and made the mistake of staying in my spot. Constantly paddling against the 20-30mph wind and rain. I'm sure if I made the tiring move up-current a couple hundred yards and drifted through the school again I could of continued my success. My fish looked pretty solid and I decided to take her down to OEX-rosecrans to get the certified weight. Everyone who saw this fish including myself thought it would be close to #60. I gasped with disappointment when it quickly buried the scale to #53 and a half. I took a step back and questioned the scale for a second. It's hard to tell on that scale, but after calming my disappointed heart of not beating my #55 personal best and taking a closer look it was a little left of the pin, so #53 9oz to be exact.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/200802200288_1_.JPG
I know, I need to go to the gym. Not only because of the "double-chin", but because I could barely lift this girl into the kayak.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/200802200394_1_.JPG
Ahhhhh, that's more like it. A properly documented trophy-ghost with a photo to look back on when I'm old and grey myself.

All in all a "February to remember" with a total of three Yellowtail kept, six #30 class Yellowtail released, and three white Seabass kept. I was prepared to release any ghost under #50 for the rest of the month and pounded sand till I was blue in the face. I guess the slam wasn't meant to be so I'll have to settle for my measly 101 points.

TO ALL WHO PURSUE THE COVETED CROWN.:viking:

nmbrinkman
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Ummmm.... Wow is all I can muster!

Holy Mackerel
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Amazing, speechless, nice job Josh! :eek:

steamroll
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Happy February Josh :you_rock::cheers1:

spooky007
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Awesome!! Great looking fish!!

Al

Handymansd
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
For some reason I'm feeling really inadequate! :o I would call it a good year with those catches in my lap!!

Beautiful post ,and pictures, to document an awesome month. Congrats!:luxhello::notworthy:

wavster
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Josh, great post to an equally great month.

You did good and you are positioned in the WCW where you should be...:cheers1:

Dan
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
:notworthy: WOW

gotz togo fishin
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I hate to ask, but, tennis shoes? thats a first! :you_rock:

rastrev
03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Very impressive month Josh

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

:cheers1:

esdees
03-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Only 53.5#!? I guess I was over estimating left and right that day. Damn nice fish, though. Congrats.

Matt
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
It's gotta to be the shoes!!! Nice job Kanye "it's time to shine"!

Beautiful fish Josh!!!

steveooo
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Great read. Solid fishes too. I like :yt::yt::yt::yt::yt::yt: in a month too, especially the grade they were:cheers1:

lambadmin
03-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Congrats Josh, unbelievable month for you.

I had to put it on the front page - too impressive of a catch and a kayak fishing story to be missed.

Some kick ass fishing for you this month.

frugalfisher
03-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Kick ass!

gary sullivan
03-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Congrats Josh, unbelievable month for you.

I had to put it on the front page - too impressive of a catch and a kayak fishing story to be missed.

Josh, you can run but you can't hide from the front page.
Do you retie your knots after every fish caught?
Just trying to learn from the best.

tylerdurden
03-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Now that's a great month :paddleersmilie: . Nice.

GHOSTHUNTR
03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
That has to be one of the (if not THE) best months in WCW history, if you consider all the big releases as well. :you_rock: Just goes to show you that the people who work the hardest at this tend to have a ton of success. WTG Josh, congrats on an epic month! I still can't believe that I fished Monday and Thursday that week and missed the Tuesday- Wednesday bites. Grippin' HARD about that still.

dmr
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Great month and write up Josh.

dorf
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Wow!!!:luxhello:
That post motivates me.
Thanks for the inspiration.

fishchaser25
03-04-2008, 09:24 AM
WOW and congrats are the only words that come to my mind:luxhello::you_rock::notworthy:

amsurferoceanbeach
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I will never forget that day you caught the big gal.
I started out late and only made 3 squid, but I figured
that would be enough to get me fishing. The new plan
was to go out past the fleet that was on the spot and
drift back. I almost get by everyone when a guy from
a boat asks if they could use my gaff. He thinks he has a
big wsb on. By the time I got along side, he had the fish
at the boat and it was starting to go crazy. His buddy
didn't wait for the gaff. He reaches down with some pliers
and pulls a 38 lb halibut on board.
I started to see a lot of people hooked up. The three
squid didn't last long because every kind of fish around
L J where at the squid feeding bash. 2 trud rollers and
a spine, and I'm bumming bait. Got 3 more squid. 2 didn't
make it down before they where stolen and another sb.
The weather was turning for the worst and most where
heading in.
I went back to the inside to try and find more squid
for nada. I started to ask guys that where coming in for live,
but every one only had dead, until Cory comes by with some
live squid and tells me he just saw some wsb hook ups. I
hurried out to the spot. By this time the wind was blowing
20+ mph out of the southwest, with stinging rain.
When I got to the spot there was only a hand full of boats and
Josh left fishing. I dropped my first squid down and was picked
up by what would be my 42 lb wsb.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/553/200802200252.JPG
I went over and did a few drifts with Josh, who was finally
smiling. The big bass in his lap. I remember talking about what a
glorious day to be on the water as some boaters where on a double
hookup. I couldn't believe all the yaks went in, but soon was getting
worn out myself from only getting a few hours sleep a night for the last
few nights, and the wind and current where pushing hard. Borrowed
bait one more time for a few more drifts before getting deliriously
worn out.
On the way in with Josh we talked about leaving them biting.
I think this day would have been the day to get a slam. A 38
& 45 lb halibut where taken from the spot that day.
Its hard to believe your bass didn't weigh more. Only 53 lbs. :eek:
It was great fishing with you and thanks for the knowledge you
have shared. What a great week it was.

Pat
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Congrats on a phenomenal month. :notworthy:

jscott
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
:you_rock: :you_rock: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Definitely some OTW time you will remember forever! CONGRATS!

ski
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Awesome Month:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

stevo
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Your post is in March ????

steveooo
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Do i need to change my screen name to avoid any confusion?!?!:vroam:
Hi, I'm steveooo with 3 o's.
Great fishes Josh, thanks again for the report:notworthy:

steamroll
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Your post is in March ????

and?

No one owes YOU a report.

Once again Josh, I'm stoked for you. You had a killer month! Congrats :you_rock:

wavster
03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Well earned Josh! I thought for sure there was a slam in there for you!

Superb! :cheers1:

SHARK BAIT
03-05-2008, 07:11 AM
DAM IT!!!!!!!! WHAT A MONTH!!!!!! HELL OF A JOB!!!

Tman
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Very nice read...and nice pics, though I wish you would've left them out of the story... :eek: :luxhello:

I was debating on whether I should let the lad have a 'sick' day from school and give him his chance for his first WSB, alas, I phooked up and we both missed the bite.
And now I am kicking myself for not partaking...:argh: :doh:
We will be there next go round.

Congrats to all who got their personal bests:cheers1:

T-Rex
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Josh,

Thanks for a great post! A very enjoyable read...just the thing to get my mind off work! Big congrats on the multiple awesome catches!

Corey
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
That's one helluva month dude. Big time congrats. Nice job on the c&r.

THE DARKHORSE
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I would like to thank each and everyone of you for all the comments and support. It's a strange feeling with a target on your back, but there's pro's and con's to every situation. The best part of this month for me had nothing to do with my own success. It was watching all the "over-due" people in my book come out on top. Of coarse, I was pleased with a jack-pot contender in my lap, but that didn't compare to the feeling of seeing Paul (amsurferoceanbeach) pull that big-ghost over the side. I generally prefer to pursue my trophies without a soul in sight, but it would be a challenge to find a better group of guys to share a "wide-open bite" with. In reference to the "fish-report" I would fall under the "competitor" category. As much as I would love to see everyone beat their personal best, I don't feel the need to motivate the Madscientist with a hundred-point deficit and two weeks left in the month to fish.

p.s. Gary, in my short time on earth I've learned that there is no "best" as there is always someone better than you.

mossback
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
how bout a smile?!:D you remind me of that couple that just won the $240 million lottery! haha! j/k nice job Joshua, I'm totally stoked for ya bro! you and karen are prbly eating fish for breakfast lunch and dinner.

JP:bandit:

THE DARKHORSE
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
how bout a smile?!:D you remind me of that couple that just won the $240 million lottery! haha! j/k nice job Joshua, I'm totally stoked for ya bro! you and karen are prbly eating fish for breakfast lunch and dinner.

JP:bandit:

Wow, this is weird, someone I know in real life (non fishing related) contacting me via post as opposed to giving me a call. I never would of thought about it this way, but I guess these forums are good for something (this is as close as I will ever get to a "my-space" account). J.P., formerly known as a fisherman. It really sucks that you don't have a kayak anymore, but as soon as I get a kayak sponsorship I will put you on some fish. As I have done many times in the past.
:captain:

FISHIONADO
03-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Holy Shyt! Nice work Josh. You used to be the guy catching the most fish but flying way under the radar. Hard to be incognito when you are on top of the premier west coast fishing contest. Congrats for a great year so far.

Lit-up1
03-07-2008, 07:17 AM
What a month-Josh way to go :luxhello: and good report'
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_05871.JPG

h2ofishfo
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
man i almost finished reading the post but im OTw........................:kayak-surfer: