PDA

View Full Version : Non yak lake mead report

taggermike
03-26-2017, 05:27 PM
I visited my mom all this last week in Arizona. She lives north of Kingman and close to lake Mead. I couldn't bring a kayak but did get some shore fishing in.

I managed 2 large mouth bass, a little channel cat, and to my surprise, a small mouth bass. I've been fishing Mead for over 40 years and have never seen a small mouth.
Never seen or caught a small mouth in my life before then actually.

Hopeful I can get the yak over next time.
Mike

King Saba
03-26-2017, 07:44 PM
They are in there. Crappies too, but I've been told that you can only find them in the brush during springtime.

taggermike
03-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Here's a couple pics.
I haven't seen crappie in Mead since I was a kid. I heard the stripers ate most of them. Mike

goldenglory18
03-27-2017, 05:53 AM
Yep, smallies are in most of the AZ waters, just not as active as the LMB's.

What did you get her on?

taggermike
03-27-2017, 10:35 AM
The smallie bit a Texas rigged pink n yellow robot worm. Large mouth bit a root beer flake senko flipped in to some flooded trees.

Meads not a great lake to shore fish with limited access spots and steep cliffs that make walk the shore impossible.

goldenglory18
03-27-2017, 12:35 PM
The smallie bit a Texas rigged pink n yellow robot worm. Large mouth bit a root beer flake senko flipped in to some flooded trees.

Sounds about right. Those two presentations get a solid 80% of the bass in AZ. Robos in Margarita Mutilator, and Green Pumpkin Senkos kill it...

Meads not a great lake to shore fish with limited access spots and steep cliffs that make walk the shore impossible.

Yeah, most of the central AZ lakes are like that too. Only two aside that are really shore friendly are Pleasant and (the West side of) Bartlett....

JeffB
03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I just moved to Vegas this past weekend. Lake Mead is my new back yard

bwana
03-28-2017, 08:53 PM
I just moved to Vegas this past weekend. Lake Mead is my new back yard

Mr. JeffB... Although we never shook hands, I will always remember you for my prized halibut rod that I won and you wrapped for last years How MB tournament.

It's a prized possession that I get a lot of compliments on.

Best wishes in Nevada.
Mike