PDA

View Full Version : ROAD to Gonzaga UPDATE

makobob
09-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Today was my first day back from mako-ville. San Diego to Mexicali was good. You now turn
right just before the old border crossing. Travel a couple hundred yards and take a left into the
NEW crossing. DO NOT do it at 5:00 thru 5:30 am as the morning train will block the entrance
for about a half hour. For FMM's take the tight left coming out of the parking lot. Follow about
1/4 mile and get your FMM. You are now where you used to get them, so from there the roads
are the same all the way.

Everything from to San Felipe was easy, then on towards Puertocitos. From km 60 all the way
to the "Y" at Puertocitos is torn up. They are building around all the vados. That is a 14km
stretch, and is graded BUT I blew a tire going donw last week so be careful.

The rest of the way to Gonzaga was good. I leave again on MONDAY taking a group down to
mako-ville and expect to sea a little rain in the area from "Rosa". Hopefully we are leaving just
before the rains. Will post any problem areas on my return to California on the 7th.

Coming back yesterday I got thru to the border wall and followed it all the way to the SENTRI
lane where we were diverted back thru town with GOOD signage to the NEW border crossing,
less then a mile. 3 Sentry lanes open less then 5 minute wait. They also had the regular lanes
open at both the old and the new crossing. The New crossing had maby a 10 minute wait, the
old crossing was much slower.

Hope this helps in these changing times, tight lines amigos.

YakDout
09-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Hey bob when you say new border are you talking about Mexicali east? Or did they move the Mexicali west border entrance and exit?

makobob
09-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Hey bob when you say new border are you talking about Mexicali east? Or did they move the Mexicali west border entrance and exit?

I come down 8 to 98 to 111 crossing. I think that is west and they did move it.

Mahigeer
09-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the road report.

There are YouTube videos of the new crossing.

stevie951
09-30-2018, 09:16 PM
From km 60 all the way
to the "Y" at Puertocitos is torn up. They are building around all the vados. That is a 14km
stretch, and is graded BUT I blew a tire going donw last week so be careful.

expect to sea a little rain in the area from "Rosa". Hopefully we are leaving just
before the rains. Will post any problem areas on my return to California on the 7th.

This helps a ton thanks Bob.. Will keep an ear out from your report on the way home because if Rosa takes the toll they say it will, torn up won't begin to describe the probable conditions of the roads.. Don't have any other transportation for the Yak other than the civic and the thule rack so will have to play this one close to ear..

Keep us posted..

Thanks amigo..

-Stevie

Baja_Traveler
10-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Posted on the Baja Facebook group a few hours ago - just north of Gonzaga it said...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/54f0324138921768144782aa5cc253de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YakDout
10-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Posted on the Baja Facebook group a few hours ago - just north of Gonzaga it said...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/54f0324138921768144782aa5cc253de.jpg

That does NOT look good. Roads if even passable, will be more jacked then they already were. After Rosa, there’s another tropical storm “Sergio” predicted to turn into a cat 2 hurricane. Hopefully that one misses baja. Those roads are definitely nothing to take a chance on.

Baja_Traveler
10-01-2018, 05:57 PM
San Felipe - there was a video of people kayaking around a hotel, but I don’t know how to copy it off of Facebook.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/69dc78e7bbf2594674f23d3f73b94384.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/f70b172176dd430b477ebce1df750445.jpg

stevie951
10-01-2018, 08:12 PM
San Felipe - there was a video of people kayaking around a hotel, but I don’t know how to copy it off of Facebook.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/69dc78e7bbf2594674f23d3f73b94384.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/f70b172176dd430b477ebce1df750445.jpg

Every time plan to get down for October on the fly, a wrench gets thrown in my plan.. No way Jose that my Civic will make it down after another storm blows through.. Only time will tell

Mahigeer
10-01-2018, 09:16 PM
We decided to take the Federal HWY 1 instead of 5 going south on Thursday. Going to see the Rossman.

On the way back on the 11th, we hope the dirt road south of Gonzaga is dry.

If so that is the plan, otherwise we have to forgo San Felipe and eat the motel reservation bill.

Denis_Ruso
10-01-2018, 10:15 PM
Just saw this on Facebook. Anyone traveling the 5 Be careful!

rossman
10-02-2018, 02:50 AM
I have a friend headed back to SD from here and has been stuck on the south side of a similar wash out on Mex 1 in the Catavinia area. Drive safe.

We decided to take the Federal HWY 1 instead of 5 going south on Thursday. Going to see the Rossman.

On the way back on the 11th, we hope the dirt road south of Gonzaga is dry.

If so that is the plan, otherwise we have to forgo San Felipe and eat the motel reservation bill.

rossman
10-02-2018, 02:56 AM
While the title says it's between San Felipe and Puertecitos, this one is actually 14 miles north of Bahia Gonzaga. So Just before Makoville. Once it's dry, they will have a detour around that in a matter of hours, but then again, Sergio is looking more and more like it may take similar path.

Just saw this on Facebook. Anyone traveling the 5 Be careful!

Mahigeer
10-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Hollie mollie.

I hope Federal one is ok.

Denis_Ruso
10-02-2018, 07:41 AM
There are actually 2 washouts reported at KM 122 and KM44.

P.S According to NOAA hurricane Sergio models show that it is turning away from land. However they are predicting that it will turn back.

Mahigeer
10-02-2018, 09:18 AM
OUR TRIP TO BAHIA ASUNCION IS CANCELLED.

Ross,
PM sent.

Road information:
http://www.discoverbaja.com/baja-california-information/road-conditions/

ProfessorLongArms
10-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Damn. This is all rather intense.

I've been in the process of upgrading my little single cab 2wd tacoma to a crew cab tacoma/frontier with 4x4 or a locking rear dif. What was a "nice to have" is starting to look more like a "must have" in order to make this trip down.

Hunters Pa
10-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Just get a good running start and you should clear the gap.

Be safe!

Mahigeer
10-02-2018, 02:34 PM
I saw pictures of underpass for water built in concrete for the water to go under.

These are for the new roads that are being built in Baja.

Some even maybe to by-pass Coco's Corner.

I thought I can join Bob for the TG holiday, but I have reservation in Colorado to do ice fishing with Bill Varney.

Looks like next year for Bahia Asuncion.

domtesta27
10-02-2018, 02:39 PM
I saw pictures of underpass for water built in concrete for the water to under.

These are for the new roads that are being built in Baja.

Some even maybe to by-pass Coco's Corner.

I thought I can join Bob for the TG holiday, but I have reservation in Colorado to do ice fishing with Bill Varney.

Looks like next year for Bahia Asuncion.

Where in Colorado were you planning on going Ice Fishing? I'm from there Originally and am happy to share a couple of hot spots! or should i say cold spots??

Denis_Ruso
10-03-2018, 06:47 AM
Just get a good running start and you should clear the gap.

Be safe!

Thanks for the advice.

Mahigeer
10-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the offer.

Without jacking the thread,

The well known surf fishing guide and instructor Bill Varney lives close to Dillon Reservoir.

He has moved there and was looking for someone with power auger.

I am going there first and then to Strawberry Reservoir in Utah.

fishnstix
10-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Leme know how strawberry is..i spent week at fish lake over the summer (was bad ass) and looking for new places to fish

Mahigeer
10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Trip has been cancelled.

makobob
10-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Yep Rosa dropped 25 INCHES of rain on PUERTOCITOS on Monday 1 October. WE were there. We left Johhnys Shell Station in El Cajon at 5 am, crossed Mexicali and got to San Felipe to light drissle. Skipped breakfast hoping to beat Rosa into makoville. The road work 15 km BEFORE Puertocitos were in 12 inches of rain and passable in a car. From Puertocitos south we were moving fallen rocks from the highway in a pouring rain. Many rocks and a couple or hours later we came down the hill to Huerfinito. Bridge was washed out and water was flowing fast through that arroyo. Time to return to Puertocitos still in pouring rain. Coming back was no better then going. We arrived in Puertocitos for the SECOND time that day just as dark was falling. We parked in front of a building which we found out the next day was the local store. The rain was almost over and we bedded down for the night.

The next morning broke clear and nice, no moore rain for the trip. Rosa had headed north into Arizona. For us she was history. We sat Tuesday out in front of the store, which WAS OPEN and full stocked. The store owner also owned the building next door which we had camped out on its patio and he said that was ok. Later in the day a few vechicles started showing up. A couple of locals who had done some work for me in makoville showed up.

To Be Continued.

makobob
10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
They were going towards San Felipe but had done work the day before in Puertocitos. We talked it over again and split the party two going home and two going to try for makoville. Wednesday morning two Dodge Rams went mountain climbing again. We passed a family on Tres Hermanas fixing a flat and heading towards Puerticitos. They had drivern in from Guerro Negro after the storm passed. They left highway one at Lake Chapala and drove to the 5 on our side.

So we knew we would make makoville in a few hours. But it was OLD BAJA, between 3 and 5 vechicles had made it through. IT WAS tough, from Huerfinito to makoville is 20 miles. Bridges were out and the arroyos were full of fast drying sand and basketball to ice chest size boulders. At different times both Rams had one tire at least 18 inches in the AIR. Makobob had one tire off the side of a 50 foot washout. Kind of a pucker point but we made it through. 10 feet later we were back on the highway and the last 10 miles into makoville were clear. Finally we were appy campers when we stopped into the restaurant and Clementina made us breakfast. After eating it was time to meet up with the rest of the group who came in a day early and got here BEFORE the storm.

makobob
10-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Trip has been cancelled.

ROAD, Highway 1 is good thru Guerro Negro. Road from 1 to makoville is the best I've seen it. One hour from makoville to Chapala YESTERDAY. Day before two vechicles, one car and one van did it in under two hours, no problems.

Hope this helps.

makobob
10-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Damn. This is all rather intense.

I've been in the process of upgrading my little single cab 2wd tacoma to a crew cab tacoma/frontier with 4x4 or a locking rear dif. What was a "nice to have" is starting to look more like a "must have" in order to make this trip down.

Come down the pacific side it took us 10 hours today, plus an hour at the border. NO PROBLEMS if Sergio does not do damage.

Mahigeer
10-09-2018, 09:18 AM
One hour for Sentri lane?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Per Travel Baja website, last updated 10/4:

Mex 1 is in extremely rough condition with pot holes and worn roads from about 10 miles south of El Rosario through Cataviña and down to about 10 miles south of Lake Chapala. They are slowly working on patching some stretches of the road, but expect very rough road conditions for almost 200 kilometers.

Mex 1 is in bad condition with large potholes for about 10 miles around Santa Rosalillita.

defjack
10-09-2018, 10:42 AM
we crossed at Tecate wich has only 2 lanes and no senetri.

Mahigeer
10-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Thanks.