PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod Holder for the Revo

dsafety
07-08-2008, 03:35 PM
The other day, I built a simple removable rod hold that installs in the cup holder on the Hobie Revolution, (and other models). The original design has a tube for the rod butt similar to the rocket launcher style from RAM. You can see the tread about that device here. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3581

After playing with this thing for a while, it occured to me that I could probably make a version that would hold a fly rod. Today I went to work. The actual holder portion of this version has cutouts similar to the Scotty rod holder. It screws into the same base that the standard rod holder uses.

It took a couple of attempts but I think I have a design that will work. The rod is semi-locked into the holder after it is inserted. For a more secure hold, a velcro strap could be added to the top. Total cost, not including the base, about a buck.

Please check out the photos below.

Design Note: I have discovered that the cleanout plug that is the heart of this device has a weak component. The plastic or nylon threaded shaft is too flexible and will probably not hold up for very long. As soon as I can find a stainless steel bolt that will fit, I plan to cut off the existing shaft and replace it with the steel shaft. When that modification is done, I am confident that this rod holder will work perfectly and last for years.

Next up, a real cup holder that screws on to the mounting base. Maybe I will go all out and add a cutting board with wine glass holder so I can enjoy cheese and crackers with a glass of Chardonnnay while watching the sunset.

Kidding aside, it may come to that since we can no longer drink on most of our beaches. Why does the bad behavior of a few have to ruin things for everyone else.

Until next time.

Bob

bajadog
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice work Bob.

dorf
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Sharp looking mod.:luxhello:

seafarer7777
12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
dsafety,

the flyrod holder is an ingenius idea! Can you tell me what type of saw you used to cut the ABS? I was thinking of using a rotozip but it's difficult to control sometimes and your cut seemed perfect...

thanks.

dsafety
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
dsafety,

the flyrod holder is an ingenius idea! Can you tell me what type of saw you used to cut the ABS? I was thinking of using a rotozip but it's difficult to control sometimes and your cut seemed perfect...

thanks.
I just used a Dremel with one of those drill bits that cuts just about anything for some of the cuts. For the straight cuts, I used a bandsaw.

Bob