PDA

View Full Version : Camera holder

fishnuts21
07-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I came across this in a magazine from your country and I thought it was a brilliant idea. Although the one I read about looked quite good, I could see a few adjustments I could make to make it more secure in a rollover and more user friendly.
I ground off the locating lugs from a pair of Scotty rod holder mounts and put a nylon washer between them to allow the elbow to be flipped over so you can set up the self portrait funtion on your camera.
The camera is bolted to the head section with a 1/4" bolt and wing nut to tighten it down securely. The camera lanyard is clipped to the pad eye and the cord is just used to pull the camera to the cockpit.
What you need to build this.
3'x 1" aluminium tube.
1' x 3/4" aluminium flat bar.
2 x Scotty rodholder bases.
1 x Scotty mount.
1 x s/s saddle and a few 3/16" nuts, bolts.
3/4" poly cutting board.
1/4" poly board for washer.
Cord.
You can see from the pics that it's fairly easy to construct and it's very easy to take photos of yourself while holding your trophy fish. Thanks to Dgax for bringing your site to the attention of us Australians, I'm enjoying going through it.
Cheers Darren

dgax65
07-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Very cool indeed

steveooo
07-13-2008, 06:59 AM
I heard the guy on pages 6 & 7 of that magazine is pretty sexy too:cool:
Great Mod:you_rock:

bajadog
07-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Darren,

Nice work.

Would delrin(acetal) be an OK substitute for the 3/4" cutting board?

fishnuts21
07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Darren,

Nice work.

Would delrin(acetal) be an OK substitute for the 3/4" cutting board?

Mate any of those plastics would work as long as you can use a router to cut channels in it. You can just bolt it all together but I think by recessing the aluminium into the plastic it gives it a bit more strength. The cutting board is very easy and cheap to work with.
Cheers Darren

dorf
07-28-2008, 05:22 AM
I went with a smaller set up and added the light mount. This also helps out with keeping my hoop nets in place. I went with PVC as it wont carrode plus I got it for FREE at a construction site that was throughing it out.

fishnuts21
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey Dorf that looks cool. It's amazing how many different ways there are to solve one situation:cool:.
Cheers Darren