PDA

View Full Version : A Yellow Christmas, Come Early.

Siebler
12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/YTreath.jpg

Launched into Small surf at 5:45 this morning and paddled out to the spot. Right after it got light we started metering some bait and got some macs on the iron. Then I proceeded to feel a light bump, then a harder bump. Brought it up to find a squid that something had bit onto but didn’t stick. Decided I should rig the squid up as he was alive so I got out the stuff to do it. About this time Austin hooks up on something Big. I hooked up squid and went over to help him clear the other rods. Sadly just before color however the hook popped.

Now I proceeded to drop that squid down in just over 100’ of water, Bout 75’ down it line starts Screaming off the reel. Set the hook and FISH ON! I’m off on my first YT sleigh ride. Soon after this starts Austin hooks up on the iron and from a distance I watch him land a WSB. My fish then pulls me into a lobster buoy in which I follow him around the rope several times before he gets stuck, Good thing Austin is paddling over because he’s at color and barley hooked! Austin pulls the rope up and gaffs my first Yak Tail! At this point I was stoked because I got the fish, but kind of sad I didn’t get to gaff it. I think Oh well and blow it off.

Next we paddle back to the spot and Austin tosses me a squid his WSB spit up. I get it to the bottom and start feeling light rockfish type taps then it sings again. Set the hook and IM ON AGAIN! This one defiantly is a WSB or suck as there are no headshakes. About 50’ into the ride POP! *^&# Forgot to retie that dropper loop! Hook broke off right at the knot but left the weight. Oh well, I still got one right? I can’t ask for more, can I?

So now Austin’s plugging’ away at his version of yo-yoing that he’s so good at. He soon gets picked up and is on! But I’m in the way! Oh crap he’s getting towed at me; Use that new Catalina’s 6.2:1 gear ratio and start cranking as fast as I can but OH SH*T I’m stuck on his line. Kind of have a clusterfuck going then I just back off and throw the reel in free spool until I’m damn near spooled. Throw it back in gear and WTF! IM GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION FROM HIM!

Now comes the part where I get worked HARD on my jig stick and towed for probably an hour. Anyways-long story short, I gaffed my 2nd yak tail and this time, I GAFFED IT.

Paddle back to Austin and he’s now landed 2 more fish so he’s got 2 yellows and a WSB in his lap and is complaining he has no more room on the yak and that we need to head in. I tell him I need 1 more to catch up and that the first fish hooked up can go in my yak since he had no room. So we both drop down and almost simultaneously we hook up, AGAIN! This time I use the fast gear ration and 40lb test to my advantage and crank the sucker up fast. Soon my largest Yellow pops the surface and is pulled into my now crowded kayak. Austin then lands his and throws it in my hatch (as he had no room on game clip) along with my first one. Now my yak is sinking and its time to head in, leaving the yellows biting.

Easy landing and a photo season on the beach.

PS if you don’t own a game clip, BUY ONE! When the time comes you’ll wish you had it. Sure glad I got mine in the mail this week, that’s for sure.

THIS IS HOW YOU BREAK IN A NEW KAYAK! and the 2 new rods/reels they were caught on :D

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/decyellows1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/ADecyt.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/ACDecYt.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/Carcasses.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/TruckYT.jpg

mars
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Nice fucking job, gents.

Ryan The Sealion
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
c u 2moro...

austin
12-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Getting bored with the yellows , think i will go catch spotties this weekend. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! see you all on the water.

Lit-up1
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Nice morning. You guys got it going on :!:
Dave

dmr
12-12-2005, 06:13 PM
An incredible morning...congratulations guys!

Iceman
12-12-2005, 06:15 PM
EPIC!!! Nice going dudes. :D

tylerdurden
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Wow. Hell of a way to break in new gear. Nice going guys. Just wow! :shock:

Ryan The Sealion
12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
btw- don't post this on BD unless you guys wanna see 30 private boats there for the rest of the week...

T-Rex
12-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Congratulations! You guys really slayed em! :shock:
Way to totally bum-out us Monday to Friday cubicle drones!!! :evil:

Siebler
12-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey ryan we posted only because we are not going to be able to make it the rets of the week, otherwise yall would be waiting until after we went again to see it.

austin
12-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Most (not all) of the power boaters out there couldnt catch there ass with both hands.

Dean Machine
12-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Nice job. Now all you need to ask from Santa is a fillet knife instead if a hatchet. I HATE you.
Sincerely,
The Grinch :twisted:

ps. Nice job

lamb
12-12-2005, 06:47 PM
EPIC, for sure. Congrats guys. 8)

Ryan The Sealion
12-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Most (not all) of the power boaters out there couldnt catch there ass with both hands.

I hear ya....Some of those guys are just straight clowns and shouldn't be on the water...I want a bazooka for x-mas :twisted:

Ryan The Sealion
12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey ryan we posted only because we are not going to be able to make it the rets of the week, otherwise yall would be waiting until after we went again to see it.

yeah man I don't really post reports anymore period...not even of like golf course ponds at night :lol: the internet spreads info too fast...

On another note, I am really bitter right now..I planned on going to LJ this monday and last, but beer and friends messed up those plans...and it was WFO both mondays :cry:

Brett D.
12-12-2005, 07:37 PM
"Austin pulls the rope up and gaffs my first Yak Tail! At this point I was stoked because I got the fish, but kind of sad I didn’t get to gaff it. I think Oh well and blow it off. "
Having a friend there to help you out is just as good as gaffing it yourself.
Austin, you gave me your last Yellowtail because your wife said you didn't have room in the freezer for more fish. Whats she saying now? Save some of that goodluck mojo for the open bay bass tourney.
P.S FU both! :twisted:

Siebler
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Brett all 100+lbs of it is here at my house. First batch is hitting the smoker tommorow morning.

Johnp
12-12-2005, 07:55 PM
It,s going to be hard to go back to fishing spotties after that guy's. Nice job. Must be those new prowlers. :D

vellocity
12-12-2005, 07:59 PM

yeah nice... this is the reason why regular posters and supporters of this forum question the flow of INFO only going ONE WAY ==>
i see lots of guys out there fishing, yet only the same people reporting..
lots of reading...no balls to post and share the info that's regularly available here..

thanks for honoring us with your fish report..
awesome catch either way..

Brett D.
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
You mean like what happened 2 weekends ago. Tails go off and the word on the VHF is don't post about this on the boards. I can kinda see both sides of the coin. Wanting to share the info with fellow yakers but not powerboaters. IF I would have known I would have bribed(sp?) my mom to watch the kid for me and been out there. I envy the guys who can get out there midweek.

Siebler
12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Brett any day you may be able to go midweek let me know and ill see how my schedual is.

vellocity
12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
You mean like what happened 2 weekends ago. Tails go off and the word on the VHF is don't post about this on the boards. I can kinda see both sides of the coin. Wanting to share the info with fellow yakers but not powerboaters. IF I would have known I would have bribed(sp?) my mom to watch the kid for me and been out there. I envy the guys who can get out there midweek.

yeah exactly... i wish i was a part of that secret too...
but still my point is valid... lots of readers, only the same posters..
welcome to BWE(on the posting side of this coin that is..)

FnJim
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
damn, work kept me away. Nice hook ups. CJ congrat on the first, 2nd and 3rd yak YT.

DESTROYER
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Way to pop your cherry! I'm sure bass fishing seems a little lame right now :wink: The day I popped my cherry I got a nice WSB and a 8# YT on 6#test on my curado....Congrats!

Moyer

Brett D.
12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Brett any day you may be able to go midweek let me know and ill see how my schedual is.
Yeah no problem there but when I get a mid week day off it will be raining with over head surf and no signs of any tails.

Brett D.
12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
yeah exactly... i wish i was a part of that secret too...
but still my point is valid... lots of readers, only the same posters..
welcome to BWE(on the posting side of this coin that is..)
Yeah I am guilty of reading only up to this point. But I concentrated alot of my time to the PN trail this year and fished on boats when ever I got a chance to come off shore. I am now switching gears and concentrating on trying to land my first real yellowtail and WSB on the yak. Almost got them on Saturday. To date I only have a 7 & 11 pound firecracker to my name.

FnJim
12-12-2005, 09:47 PM
damn, I was supposed to go with you guys but had to work. Congrats CJ on your 1st, 2nd and 3rd kayak YT.
PS. Save some fish for the rest of us.

Siebler
12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
hey jim too bad you couldnt make it, it was really awsome. Finally after all those trips with you and austin and such i get into the fish.

cajunman
12-13-2005, 05:32 AM
CJ,
very nice fishes ,, you've come a long ways from buying my kayak a couple of years ago,, you definitely deserve it

congrats
rich
8)

Siebler
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Ive come a long ways and gone through a lot of kayaks thats for sure.

Razorback
12-13-2005, 05:16 PM
NICE YT Slay FEST BOYZ.

Time for a bigger yak. :D :D :D

Siebler
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah go from the Xfactor to a prowler and then need the X for 1 day and you dont have it!

cabojohn
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
That's a kewl Christmas card...and a helluva catch. I may have to get out before the bite is over. :stoned:

bellcon
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
WOW
Now that was an EPIC day!:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1:

-scallywag-
12-09-2010, 04:20 PM
:hahaha:

YES !!!! I've been checking this site for months, now I'm finally gonna paddle out! was it hard to get thru the surf?

This is gonna be bitch'en !!!!!

C y'all 2morrow !!!!! :sifone:

ryan111
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
WOW amazing!!!:you_rock::you_rock:

Iceman
12-09-2010, 05:30 PM
CLASSIC! What happened to the 1 missing photo :biggrinjester:

DESTROYER
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
That was back in the day when Siebler used to catch fish...LOL!:jig:

krmaxima
12-09-2010, 06:02 PM
way to go CONGRATS

Pat
12-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Kicked off one hell of a bite, that's for sure!:cheers1:

StinkyMatt
12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
...he’s got 2 yellows and a WSB in his lap and is complaining he has no more room on the yak...

Damn..... I will doggie paddle next to my kayak if I have to !

Great efin job guys, BUT I'm sure its nothing like pulling farm raised trout out of Irvine Lake! :D:D:D

GBF
12-09-2010, 08:37 PM
WOW.............very, very nice going!!

GBF

aftahour
12-09-2010, 10:05 PM
wow..l fishing of a lifetime

drunkenmaster
12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
wow..l fishing of a lifetime

im sooooo jealous!!!!!!!
great job!

drunkenmaster
12-09-2010, 10:23 PM
dident mean to quote it!

Fiskadoro
12-10-2010, 04:33 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Siebler/decyellows1.jpg

Unbelievably cool, just FN fantastic, Congrats!!!!:cheers1:

TCS
12-10-2010, 04:55 AM
"Launched into small surf..."

Regor
12-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Take note of the "small surf" thread posting date: 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Riskey Water
12-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Phenominal job guys :cheers1: I really like the fact that the only ice chest big enough for your catch is the bed of the pick-up ,Right-On

Whizz Bang
12-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Aaahhh, back in 2005, where was I???? oh yeah, Iraq.... now it is 2010 and I am in afghanistan.... at least I am not missing the bite right now:luxhello:

Congrats for back then, and thanks cabo J for starting this one anew. The funny thing is that I am wearing my BWE shirt right now.

Can someone drag out my old Hali post for old times sake???:sifone:

Sherm
12-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I remember this post from the 1st time it was up. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I got my 1st Yt back then.

j mo
12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
one of my all time favorite posts.....

dos ballenas
12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
wait? they catch yellowtail in la jolla? no sheet? :you_rock:

fknricter
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
congrats on the YT!!! great read! thnx guys!!!!

Jzo
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Congrats, thx for sharing. Wow! :cheers1:

467echo
12-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Aaahhh, back in 2005, where was I???? oh yeah, Iraq.... now it is 2010 and I am in afghanistan.... at least I am not missing the bite right now:luxhello:

Congrats for back then, and thanks cabo J for starting this one anew. The funny thing is that I am wearing my BWE shirt right now.

Can someone drag out my old Hali post for old times sake???:sifone:

Glad to see you are still checking the fishing reports Eric! Have a safe and Merry Christmas from across the world! I'll go and try to find one for ya this weekend:D

flydigital
12-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Launched around 5am today with high hopes due to this awesome report of a WFO bite.

Got flipped 3 times on the way out in the big surf and lost everything but one small bass rod.. even lost my bait tank! Didn't this guy say the waves were small? But I knew it would be worth it with such a good bite. I didn't do that bad though, you should have seen the dozens and dozens of others who tried and never could make it out at all! Only about 50 of us made it out.

Got to the grounds and with my bass rod tied on a small iron and made a squid, left him on the hook and dropped it down. 10 minutes later bendo... the fight lasted 30 minutes and I had a 52lb YT on deck with only my 12lb test bass rod. Still early morning so I made another squid and dropped it down again and this time, 20 minutes later I had a 74lb WSB. Good thing I didn't have my bait tank still, or I would have sank my kayak. I was done, so I headed in...

But the waves were even bigger than before and more stacked... I held on for dear life but it was not meant to be. I caught a good overhead wave and pearled right into the sand, cartwheeling, losing both fish and my last rod in the process.

Oh well, was an epic day anyway, thanks for the timely report that made this possible! Forgot to take pics... :sifone:

bellcon
12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
:cheers1:
no pics needed Damian
I believe you

Let me know if you need to borrow any gear

radastaff
12-10-2010, 05:50 PM
i woulda road the fish in

driftwood
12-10-2010, 06:12 PM
If you like wine like i do, 2005 is great year!! I caught more yellow tail on my kayak that year than ever before! 2005 really was an EPIC year!!!

The year 2005 was the warmest year in over a century, according to NASA scientists studying temperature data from around the world.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/140771main3_2005_temp_anom.jpg (http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/157543main_GTCh_Fig1b_large.jpg) Image to left: This colorful global map of 2005 average temperatures shows areas that have warmed the most in red, to the areas that have cooled (in blue). Note that the Arctic has warmed significantly. These temperatures are from Dec. 2004 through Nov. 2005. Previously, the warmest year of the century was 1998, when a strong El Nino, a warm water event in the eastern Pacific Ocean, added warmth to global temperatures.

yakrider
12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
unreal! a great Christmas tale...:luxhello::luxhello:

yak addact
12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
so true on the posts. PBrs are fair weather fans. Its not our fault we pay less and catch more. congrats on the epic day.:cheers1:

Siebler
12-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Nice job Cabo....

Aaron&Julie
12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Now, that's some good fishing. Congratulations on slaying them.

Tinhman
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
always nice to see a FEW yellows, good stuff! damn that same week friday and saturday, me and 15+ other kayakers out there all day not one of anything! and you guys nailed it sunday. I shouldve went sunday instead

Politi-Cal
12-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Hell of a day. Nice work.

Siebler
12-19-2010, 12:54 PM
always nice to see a FEW yellows, good stuff! damn that same week friday and saturday, me and 15+ other kayakers out there all day not one of anything! and you guys nailed it sunday. I shouldve went sunday instead

12/12 was a Monday actually not Sunday. Check the OP date :doh:

I was still in school and ditched that Monday. Best ditch decision I ever made.

cabojohn
12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Nice job Cabo....
. :notworthy:hehe
you ditched school:eek:

:):)