PDA

View Full Version : LJ 12/14

Iceman
12-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Many fish died between 6:30 and 7:30 AM. Just in time to take the kids to school.

Dennis
12-14-2005, 07:50 AM
What's up, Andy. You got some intel?

SlowPoke
12-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Will iron only be enough? I'm seriously up for tomorrow AM if a bonzai run has potential.

Dennis
12-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Irons should be enough. You'll probably get lucky and jig up some squid with it. So, bring a bait rod also. Good luck.

twinfin
12-14-2005, 09:04 AM
WTG Andy. I knew the spot had more to give!!!

Spinal Tap
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Damn, I wish I didn't sell my kayak. I'm too lazy to take my zodiac out of storage. Maybe I'll take it out for the weekend. damn damn damn

steamroll
12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Way to go Andy. A nice, quick in and out mission

Dennis
12-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Dang, Andy... You are the man. Give up some details! So that I can drool over it, while I wait for my son to get out of preschool.

Nate (spinal tap),
I've got an extra kayak if you need to use it.

PlasticSkipper
12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Andy, sorry to start the other 12/14 LJ report thread, didn't see your's until after I hit submit. Congrat's to everyone that caught fish today. I was out there from about 5:00am to 8:00am today, caught two small squid with my Salas 6x, rigged them on another pole and almost immediately got a huge bite, didn't last long before it broke at one of the knots. Lost an iron on another big hit. Paying my dues I guess. Dave

DaveC
12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I was out in the carnage as well. It was insane, looking around and seeing five different guys getting towed in different directions. You could watch the bite work its way toward you with one guy bent, then someone closer to you gets bent, then its your turn. I went 4 for 5 on the yt, with 2 released. 2 on squid, 2 on jig with lost fish on a jig as well. Also had a personal best halibut up to the boat only to shank the gaff and lose the fish. It went 30lb easy. Bite seemed to turn on around 6:30 or so and shut down around 8. Hoping to get another shot on Friday.

Dave

vellocity
12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
sweet!!
congrats to all..
wish i was fighting YT instead of the FLU :(

Dennis
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
YEAH! Nice going everyone! You gotta love those quick fishing trips.
-D

Nelz,
Hope you get better soon!

madscientist
12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Good morning for me, went 2 for 2 on bait. Launched behind Andy in the WAY early hours and went on squid patrol. Took a while but I got one and had some dead frozen from before. As the bite switched on I threw the live guy down and almost immediately it screams. Leisurely fight ended with a 21# tail on deck. Went back to the same drift and put the best of the dead on. Not long thereafter, it goes zing and I'm on to a bigger one. Tangled and untangled with another angler getting towed. Fish seemed worn out but I had a heck of a time getting it up. At color I saw why, it was barely hooked in the side. This one went 25.7#. Not insane carnage but pretty close. Only had time to run home and throw the fish on ice and unload the yak before racing to a 10:00 meeting, reeking of yellows. That was so much fun I think I'll do it again tomorrow. Got to mail out some YT and lobster gifts this week.

Just a note to some who may not be used to fishing in crowds. We all tend to throw our irons forward, so its not the best idea to set up your drift 50ft off of another yakkers bow, particularly down drift, if it can be avoided. 8)

PEMEX
12-14-2005, 12:52 PM
LISTEN TO MADSCIENTIST!!!!
I had a guy chuck an iron right accross my running fish, and as he begins to grind on it, he saws me off. That fish BIG, but now gets to grill on someone elses Que. Just drop it down.

dmr
12-14-2005, 12:53 PM
A nice morning out on the water. I was paddling back through the zone, seriously bummed that I was 0 for 2 (one lost after a minute on squid, another 10 minutes into the battle on blue/white), my Ranch 99 fresh dead got picked up by a 25#er. Thanks to the PB'er that kept his lines clear and cutoff and saved my iron that was still in the water. Sixteen squid were packed into the stomach.

Corey
12-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I got 3 today and released 2. The keeper went 27# and the others were 20# or so. The larger model was on live squid. One of the lucky ones was caught on frozen squid (thanks Jose), and the other on the trusty B/W 6X Jr. I was hoping for an upgrade from yesterdays fish, but not today. Tomorrow is tempting me. :twisted:

corey

ps: Grego, give me a call and come get your fish.

stevo
12-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Damn was that awesome or what?. To see all the hook ups.... man I would look thru the crowd and see a path of bendo's. 2 out of 5 I landed both close to 30lbs All on the dead stick. 2nd one took me for a tow into a PB and into the prop. Managed to get it out and continue the fight shortly thereafter I see my line come up very un-characteristically fast. Sea dog erupts w/ my tail... Some of you probably heard me yelling profanities. Button down the drag focussing on saving my iron I managed to pull the yellow from the dog 3 times before it was landed. One pissed off dog splashing way too close to yak- baring teeth and all. After many swipes at him w/ my paddle he gives up. I beat the dog litterally...... Stevo. Keith where's the pic?.

madscientist
12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Here's the promised pics. No action shots, too much going on, but some cool guys and their dead fish.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09842.JPG
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09846.JPG
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09839.JPG
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09840.JPG

BTW, I was at squidco and the clerk there was telling every customer about the great LJ bite this morning. Then at Noah's a customer was spreading the same news. The jig is up, boys. Expect the fleet tomorrow. I told them I was there and that macs were the hot ticket. :P

Ryan The Sealion
12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
i got a story 4 u guys.. went 1 for 3 today, but this won took up an hour!!! Hookedup and fought for 10 min before it wrapped on another yakers fish..we got towed around for a while kayaks bumping and everything...and then the fish wrapped us on a lobster buoy...the dude starts to pull it up..he pulled about 15 feet of rope and found his hook..his fish was gone so he drops the rope :( I grab it and start pulling...120 feet of rope and 20 min later I get the trap up...still see no fish..I find my line on the trap, and hand the rope to my new buddy jimmy for a sec...I wrap the line on my bait tube, and handlined about 60 yards and stuck this sucker...

http://myspace-205.vo.llnwd.net/00361/50/24/361384205_l.jpg

DESTROYER
12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
My cold just got worse...I will see all thirty of you tomarrow along with the other 30 PBR. They will know! I had memebers up at the club telling me about because they know I like to fish...Most likely the bite will stop since thats that the kind of luck I have had this year...So, STAY HOME :twisted: :!:

Iceman
12-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Many fish died between 6:30 and 7:30 AM. Just in time to take the kids to school.

I never said that I got one :evil: :oops:

I was on the outside looking in this morning, nada, not even a bump. I did successfully release several F Bombs as I paddled in at 7:30. Sure wish it got light earlier. My wife's new job is severely messing with my fishing career :lol: Congratulations to those that killed em!

Spinal Tap
12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Nate (spinal tap),
I've got an extra kayak if you need to use it.

Dennis,

Thanks man, but I gotta stay dry for a little while longer. I have a cold.
Man, those YT look so fat. I bet they're just awesome sashimi.
Nate

dmr
12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Nice job on the trap line. I saw you guys pulling it up, but missed the outcome. Anything in the trap??

Ryan The Sealion
12-14-2005, 06:43 PM
a spider crab and a buncha bricks lol..got 3 jigs and 7 hooks off the rope tho :lol: I never realized traps were that heavy... I'm gonna b sore tomorrow :(

madscientist
12-14-2005, 07:08 PM

I never said that I got one :evil: :oops:

I was on the outside looking in this morning, nada, not even a bump. I did successfully release several F Bombs as I paddled in at 7:30. Sure wish it got light earlier. My wife's new job is severely messing with my fishing career :lol: Congratulations to those that killed em!

I never saw you go in but Corey said you looked disgusted so I figured things hadn't gone well. Sorry to hear it didn't come together.

Tman
12-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Got a late start, had to take the boy to school but managed to get to the launch in time to see the fleet landing with their catches.
Talked with Pat and Moyer and Pat gave me some input on where to go (gracias Pat), and with some fresh dead squid courtesy of my bro Dusty, hit the pond solo and had it all to myself. And no YT's to bother me. :roll:
Hit the spot Pat told me to go, and sent the squid down. Minutes later, clicker goes off and I'm thinking "Sweet, they left me some". Not a chance. Felt some tugging, and all I could think was after seeing the quality YT that was landed, I get to catch the only anorexic bastard out there. After a couple pulls, I bring up this hermaphrodite.
No need to gaff him, stuck the gaff in his mouth and he clamped down and held on.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/1/5/5/3/LJ12-14-05010.jpg
Ended the day with 2 octopi, enough lizards to make a meal, sanddab, and a mac that I sent to the bottom without a trap rig only to get hit, feed line, wait, set hook, and pull up a body-less mac.
Cooked up jaws and the boy and I dined well....
Will have to hit it Monday, bright and early...
Pat, Dusty, thanks bros.