PDA

View Full Version : 1/11 Bank of LJ opened at 9AM

Iceman
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I made a couple of withdrawals :D

Here is the first one. 30 pounds.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/Iceman619/1-11yt30.jpg

Slow start to the day, saw one spot of birds around 8, a pber saw them first, they stopped short, I assume on marks and yoyoed up one YT. Big yellowtail chasing 3-4 inch sardines up and down boiling fish from 9 until I left em at 11. Threw at them over and over por nada. Seemed like ya had to get it past a nice spot and wind it right through the meyhem. Alll the fish I saw were a little past the half, with most around the 3/4 spot. From right on the kelp to 120 feet or so. Left Jim S. and Aaron and Julie out there. A few others were heading that way when I headed in. Thanks Jim and Aaron for taking the pix, hope ya loaded up.

madscientist
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Nice forky. Early meeting kept me off the water. Looked like great conditions.

Iceman
01-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Brad, it was one of those mornings where you think it will just be a bitchen fishless day. Light winds, sunshine, hardly a bird working. Whales passing through, then it was like a switch was thrown around 9AM. I ratted up my surface iron on the very first cast at a nice spot of fish. Grabbed the yoyo salas scrambled egg and threw right at em several times before I finally went bendo. After tying that fish, making my way in and they go off again. This time I rat up the yoyo and decide the long rod looked like less of a mess, so I am pulling out the mess with fish boiling on all sides. Get it out and start trying to find the right spot. Throw it past a pack of em and wind it through, BENDO on the paintless Kicker 15 and finally a decent fish on the rod that Corey wrapped for me last year. I was right next to a bouy and tried to make short order of this one. Luckily this one was smaller than the first at just under 20#. Had to paddle away from some fish still boiling. Thanks for taking the time to snap a picture Aaron, sure wish you, Julie and Jim would have got yours.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/Iceman619/1-11yts.jpg

dmr
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Nice work. I saw you at the launch and while you worked you way to the outside. I was heading in around 9:00-9:30 for work and saw the birds working a little further out than I wanted to paddle. I had visions of chasing them only for the activity to cease as I glided up, then having fish pop up a little further out. It looks like the right call would have been to take the day off.

steveooo
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Sweet Fish Andy, nice to see there are a couple still around :D
Ill be out there on friday tryin out a new boat 8) hope they check in to stay at MOTEL LJ...

Steve

DESTROYER
01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Jim said the birds started working right after he got off the phone with me. Congrats dude! I was going to take my motor boat out manana, now you have made it hard to decide ICE.

TL-Matt

fishinhb
01-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Ironman! :shock: I had to rock out to some Black Sabbath :twisted: after reading your post. Nice.

Orange County sucks.

Hoop there it is.

steamroll
01-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Great job Andy. :D You're stoked!

Dennis
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
nice pair, andy!

Aaron&Julie
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
You're welcome, Iceman. We're just glad someone could "trick" those yellows into hitting the iron. They were very picky. No hits for us on live mackeral, B/Ws salas, or various megabaits. Jim S. had the same problem. Some casts we thought for sure would result in a fish, but no.
We don't give up easily, so we're making our first back-to-back trips at La Jolla tomorrow to work it again.

slotmachine
01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Lots of bird activity off casa, bait and birds everywere. Was checking around 430PM.

Corey
01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Sweet, bro! How'd the rod hold up against that fish?

corey

Afran
01-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah Dog!
That must have been fun. I love the iron bite. Maybe just any bite.

Iceman
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/andyboy/backinblack.jpg

Sweet, bro! How'd the rod hold up against that fish?
Rod held up very well. I was pulling really hard as I was as close as 10 feet from that buoy. It is a very fun rod to use, thought I had put it away for a few months, but after seeing those YT on the surface last week, I had to put a Speedmaster back on it.

katchfish
01-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Andy, nice pair to draw to.....

Gonna miss ya en el sur!! :(

And what's with that ugly lid??

Kinda makes Brad's look sorta normal! :twisted:

Godspeed to your mother in law.

Ken

lamb
01-12-2006, 07:03 AM
all rise... 8)

Mr. stand up comedian is in the house.