PDA

View Full Version : 1/17 LJ: Hielo-tail

Iceman
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Headed out ahead of Ryan, into the grey, 1-2 foot lowtide launch, easy in. I wanted to hit the pier, paddling along the beach you could smell the smoldering beach fires with the light offshore breeze. Just before I got to the pier some workers moved the lights to the center, I yelled up half joking to move the lights back and they did, I told them that I was just kidding, but it did help in making bait. Threw the sabiki por nada, so I broke out the magic catfood, threw a little and they swarmed. Made a tank and paddled out to todays spot. shortly after passing the corner yellowcan, a big spot of birds started about 1/2 mile SW of me. Switched to high gear and paddled hard. Some cowboy on a jetski saw them too and beat me to them. I was still 200 yards from them when they started to scatter. Nelz had a good view of squirtables and those that eat em.

I was a little further than 1/2 way to the NW corner in 120 feet. I let the scrambled egg hit bottom and jigged, lifting the rodtip and dropping it. Got hit on the lift, like a sandbass. did not feel heavy, just headshaking coming up, then it took off along the bottom. I have had sharks fight just like this one, circling on the bottom, then coming up fairly easy. I was stoked at color that it was a 22 pound yellar. That was around 7:30, nothing more. Alot of bait feeding on the surface, water is back to green and 10 foot of visibility. Long paddle in, thanks for the company Ryan. Thanks for the picture Nelz, you are the best photo beeyatch out there, always telling me just how to hold the fish, to make it look the purdiest :D .

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/Iceman619/1-17yt.jpg

madscientist
01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Right on, Andy. Hope I can sneak out Thursday, freaking early meeting tomorrow. I heard the squirts had shown up, hopefully it will get them going again.

Yeah, Nelz is an awesome photobeyatch. His higher stance helps as well. :lol:

vellocity
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
nice fish Mr. Ice!

it was icy cold out there this morning but it quickly warmed up with the beautiful sunrise! i'm still trying to get back into the morning fishing groove and miss timed the nautical grey light by about 10-15mins too late.. as Andy said i started marking good marks before i got up to the birds, and i wasn't even set up yet so i was rushing to tie a jig on and get something into the water.. casted into a few big swirls and could barely see squid floating and bolting around the surface. pretty amazing how the birds can see the action in the grey..

for a second i thought it was gonna be ON like last month but the action quickly sunk out and that was pretty much my morning..

one other YT i know of was caught by a couple happy dudes in a tiny aluminium skiff.. we could here them hooting and hollaring and they sounded very stoked so good for them!

beautiful day out there!
yes i'm the best photo beeyatch out there!
congrats again Andy

those going tomorrow get on it early.. the squid's just a little farther west than last month at 130'

twinfin
01-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Can you say C-O-L-D? Nice fish Andy!

Ryan The Sealion
01-17-2006, 03:20 PM
LOL.. Nelz is good for photo's :lol: I wouldn't hav that cool pic of my big BSB this summer without him...

Andy I got hungry when u were talkin about cookin fish so I went home and BBQ-d some I had left from dec. lol.. I need to catch a fresh1 soon cause I'm about out :twisted:

Dennis
01-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Romel and I launched at 1130. Saw a guy on the beach who said that a yellow was caught. I somehow knew it was you, Andy. Good job!
Launched at high tide. We took a couple to the chest, then headed to the grounds. Saw a lot of birds working. We stayed around the kelp. I caught a rockfish (kelp), two jumbo smelt, and two spanish... Soaked and tossed, for nothing. A pder came over and said that he had been chasing the yellow for three hours. According to him, "lot's of yellow's." But, they didn't want any of what he had.
Landed a low tide, one footers. Damn, I miss those early morning runs...

vellocity
01-17-2006, 08:16 PM
i'll bet the house that i KNOW what pb'er came over to talk...
hmmmm......small like 13' white center counsel with a big guy in it?

Afran
01-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Dude, nice job. Home guard. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I was hoping for a report like this.

Dennis
01-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Yup, that's the guy Nelz.

Ryan The Sealion
01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
i'll bet the house that i KNOW what pb'er came over to talk...
hmmmm......small like 13' white center counsel with a big guy in it?

he was chasin macks :roll: :lol: